1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ design challenge

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by ldvhl, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

@DudewiththeFood, I had something similar to the UB tested out and it was far from OP.

2. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

In terms of the production or extra culture? I know the culture seems like a big increase but I was looking at the Stele and that pretty much guarantees first (second with Celts) pantheon +religion. With only +1 yield in comparison, I'll be honest I was worried it might be underpowered which was why I added the production bonus.

3. GPuzzle

Actually, both, in fact, now I'd say it's kinda underpowered due to the +1 maintanance cost, which is kind of huge in the early game.

4. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

I'd say I like it fine now, the maintenance might be a little unnecessary but it's not as terrible now you remind me of Ancien Regime.
    Oh how I miss France being good... Used to be my favorite civ until BNW

5. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

The +1 maintenance won't count if there's +2 food surplus form the UA so once you've got a farm or two it shouldn't matter. By the time the city stops growing, you should have markets/banks and trade routes set up it shouldn't matter too much.

Edit: I don't mind it being underpowered because I've decided the Archer is OP if you geet a few upgraded and promoted to Logistics etc which isn't too difficult if you delay Construction. They're basically better versions of Slingers anyway. I'm gla dI went with archers and not a ranged Scout wuth that promotion because an all-terrain version would have been ridiculously OP..

6. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Aren't slingers the aggressively nerfy anti-protection archers? Yeah though, I could see the archer being pretty ridiculous with logistics. Would it mean it could get 3 shots off?

7. GPuzzle

It's bad for unit protection (but you can just abuse positioning or use a melee unit), and the best Composite Bowman for rushing by far.

8. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

I already checked, Logistics is only +1 attack so no. It could move, shoot, shoot again and then move again though.

9. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

However that would require it survived long enough either as an archer or as an upgraded archer to get logistics, meaning you'd have maybe 5 at most by crossbows or what have you.

Also, not a critique of the design but a question about the game's mechanics; I thought to use logistics your unit can't move? IE, you could shoot twice and move back OR move and shoot twice, taking into account the unit's ability. Better phrasing would be: I thought logistics required a point of movement to shoot the second time?

10. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

It does, you're right

11. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood King

But if you get those 5, they possibly become the strongest units in the game - especially as Crossbows.

About logistics, normally you'd be right but the extra promotion I'm giving them is +1 move after shooting. So they could move, shoot, get the extra move, shoot again and then get another extra move.

12. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Ah, I see, each shot would provide an additional point of movement. That's a very powerful unit then

13. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

How about a vote!

14. Keniisu

Keniisu YouTuber | Modder

Time to revive this old legend! Since it's been months without a single challenge, I feel it is in order for someone to provide one. I propose The Xiongnu.

15. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

can I just repost my mod here tbh

16. GPuzzle

Wouldn't doubt it.

17. senshidenshi

senshidenshi Switched the Red and Blue channels

I thought we were supposed to do civs that were obscure and didn't already exist... Hence why I propose the Nez Perce.

Not that I'm some kind of authority :p

18. Keniisu

Keniisu YouTuber | Modder

Well, let's go with that Senshi! :D Much better option.

EDIT: My design if were going with the Nez Perce tribe.

19. OrderofOlav

OrderofOlav King of Procrastination

Rip Elamite challenge, you will be ....missed?
    Kinda detoriates peoples attention to reading everybody's design which is a shame, I'd vote for Keniisu's although the UU seems a bit occasional.
    Anyway:

This is in no way meant to convey that their culture was based on retreating, rather it is a bonus for doing so.