[NFP] CIV franchises "sold more than 51 million units worldwide"

xxhe

Prince
I just saw on 2K's official site (https://store.2k.com/en/civilization) that "Sid Meier's Civilization is one of the most influential and successful strategy franchises in video game history, having sold more than 51 million units worldwide."

civ6 sales 12-28-2020.jpg

While on Feb. 28th, 2016 (Civ 6 was published in Oct. 2016), the sales figure of civ franchise was 33 million, with 8 million belonging to civ 5. Source: https://venturebeat.com/2016/02/18/...sions-33m-copies-sold-1-billion-hours-played/.

Apparently, 18 million more copies were sold during this time. Some of them definitely belong to civ 5. What's the share of civ 6 sales? 10 million?

Always a chance in the last 4 years they have changed their calculations. And I don't know how they count expansions and DLC - for example, if civ 6 has sold 8M copies, and R+F has sold 6M, does that count as 14M combined?

Steamdb has civ 6 anywhere from about 2-10M copies sold. Although that presumably only counts steam sales, so consoles would fall under a different bucket.

I think a big part of it is just availability. Civ 4 was ported to Windows and OS X. Civ 5 was Windows, OS X and Linux. Civ 6 is Windows, OS X, Linux, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4, and Android. Adding all the consoles as well as mobile significantly increases the potential player base. PC gaming is a much more niche market.

Always a chance in the last 4 years they have changed their calculations. And I don't know how they count expansions and DLC - for example, if civ 6 has sold 8M copies, and R+F has sold 6M, does that count as 14M combined?

Steamdb has civ 6 anywhere from about 2-10M copies sold. Although that presumably only counts steam sales, so consoles would fall under a different bucket.

That's a good point.

IMO, small DLCs are not counted. If they were counted in, considering the numerous DLCs civ5/6 released, the sale numbers should be rocket high (i.e. buy a civ 6 platinum = 1 base game + 6 DLCs + 2 expansions; same for the civ 5 complete).

Is it possible that expansions were counted? Possible, but not that likely. First, they are literally still DLCs (which requires the base game to launch). Second, for a season pass like NFP, how should they do the math? One person may choose to buy 5 out of the 6 DLCs in the NFP pass. Will this be considered 1 sales unit or not?

Top Bottom