Civ III Download Database Searches

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.
I've mostly been in the CiVI C&C forums the past couple months, so I haven't been modding CivIII or looking up files in the Download Database. However, as I was visiting back in the CivIII forums tonight I noticed @Wotan49 's re-upload of ripptide's Stug III in the request thread and it got me thinking about the new Downloads Database search function.

In the old forum, you could type in an older author's name (i.e. ripptide) and it would pull up all of their files - both direct uploads and re-up's by others. That doesn't appear to work anymore as many of rip's files re-uploaded by others (i.e. @MarineCorps), don't seem to show up anymore in searches unless you specifically know what to look for. I wonder how many other files by inactive authors have become "lost" in the new d/b?

I also noticed that you can't search for partial "words" anymore. For example, with Stugs, you can't just type that in and find all the Stugs made by every author. The search will only bring up files with "Stug" by itself either as the title or in the description. If the unit is labeled "Stug3" or "Stug3AufG" like Wyrm's units it won't bring them up. Additionally, if you search for all Wyrmshadow's files the d/b search will only list the last 200 files uploaded. To find all Wyrm's files you have to go to his profile page and click on the Downloads tab.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but these changes seem to really hamper modding imo and make it far less likely I'd return to CivIII. Has anyone else experienced problems with the new d/b?

Did you use the * ?
So the search parameter would be either "stug*" or "*stug*" to indicate that the search parameter could be different to the exact spelling?

Did you use the * ?
Ugh, yes that's it. I didn't even think about using a wildcard character. :wallbash: Guess I was too used to the old forum search that did that automatically. Thank you!

I guess that fixes "part" of the problem. Still can't search by some of the original authors and still am limited to 200 results.

Top Bottom