Civ III on mac with 64 Bits ?

Peinture

Chieftain
Hi
I used to play on an old Mac computer to CIV III and love it, sadly that computer is down and it seems that there are no way to install it on recent mac as it's only 32 Bits and I don't know what to do ?

I didn't really want to install on virtual Mac on Mac just to have the game, it's kind of a nonsense for me

Do you know what I can do ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi Peinture, it's been a while since you posted this but thought I'd chime in. Currently, there is no support from Aspyr for this game, they have not updated the game to be 64-bit. I believe it was a Universal binary still, which means it would need some updates in order to be 100% compatible with modern OSes. Currently, there is no news of this happening and it is unlikely.

The only thing I really can think of is to install a Windows virtual machine and run the Windows version through it. I'd recommend using VirtualBox to do this. if you can get your hands on XP then you could have a 5GB virtual machine with the game installed. It is an annoying way to do it, but this is one of the only options other than downgrading the OS.

It is much easier with this, because you don´t have to own Windows or anything else: After one year of looking for a solution, I´ve got one now.

You can buy the PC-version easily on GoG for 1,29€, that was frustrating first.
But I used "Porting Kit" https://www.portingkit.com to run in on Catalina. It worked well and was very cheap. After porting, I runs without the Kit. So I stopped trying to register my old copy again.

It is much easier with this, because you don´t have to own Windows or anything else: After one year of looking for a solution, I´ve got one now.

You can buy the PC-version easily on GoG for 1,29€, that was frustrating first.
But I used "Porting Kit" https://www.portingkit.com to run in on Catalina. It worked well and was very cheap. After porting, I runs without the Kit. So I stopped trying to register my old copy again.

This is unfortunately the best option. Apple has no interest in backwards compatibility and anything 32-bit is incompatible with its modern OS's

Top Bottom