Civ IV HOF Update Discussion Thread

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
The Civilization IV Hall of Fame has been updated - 38 games were accepted since the previous update, this is the largest number for a long time!

Congratulations to @enKage for the highest score of the update with a Huge, Marathon, Prince, Space Colony game for 250,202 points.

@Noble Zarkon was the most active player during this update, submitting 12 games.

Only one player was brave enough to take on Deity this update:

@WastinTime - 950 BC, Small, Marathon, Deity, Espionage game for 111,557 points.

The Civilization IV Beta Hall of Fame has also been updated - 4 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to @Lazybones for the highest score of the update with a Standard, Quick, Monarch, Domination game for 157,527 points.

Congratulations to @Dhoomstriker for winning G-Major 157 (our first non-BTS Gauntlet for a long time) with a Space Race victory in 1760 AD, also to @Swordnboard for winning G-Minor 231 (Religious) on turn 58 - amazing stuff! I won BTS Beta Gauntlet 13 (Time) with a score of 15,655!

** New Gauntlets Starting **

G-Minor 232 - Conquest, Warlord, Ancient, Standard, Epic, Pangaea, (check options)

G-Major 158 - Score, Immortal, Ancient, Tiny, Marathon, Big and Small, - High Score Wins! (check options)

G-Major 159 - Cultural, Monarch, Ancient, Standard, Normal, Hemispheres, (check options)

New Number One Entries:
A number of players gained number one positions:

@WastinTime with a 950 BC, Small, Marathon, Deity, Espionage game for 111,557 points.

@Dhoomstriker with a 1760 AD, Duel, Normal, Emperor, Space Race game for 111,485 points.

@Swordnboard with a 1680 BC, Tiny, Normal, Monarch, Religious game for 32,131 points.

@enKage with a 1544 AD, Huge, Marathon, Prince, Space Colony game for 250,202 points.
@Lazybones with a 1645 AD, Tiny, Normal, Prince, Space Colony game for 136,803 points.

@Lazybones with a 1360 AD, Large, Quick, Noble, Domination game for 106,614 points.
@Swordnboard with a 3120 BC, Tiny, Normal, Noble, Conquest game for 14,372 points.

@Noble Zarkon with a 1510 AD, Tiny, Marathon, Warlord, Espionage game for 49,585 points.
@Noble Zarkon with a 1466 AD, Duel, Marathon, Warlord, Espionage game for 52,264 points.
@Swordnboard with a 2040 BC, Tiny, Normal, Warlord, Domination game for 39,213 points.

@Noble Zarkon with a 1592 AD, Tiny, Marathon, Chieftain, Espionage game for 27,615 points.
@Noble Zarkon with a 1890 AD, Tiny, Epic, Chieftain, Espionage game for 10,553 points.
@SittinDown with a 350 BC, Large, Normal, Chieftain, Conquest game for 27,163 points.

@Noble Zarkon with a 1444 AD, Large, Marathon, Settler, Espionage game for 34,912 points.
@Noble Zarkon with a 1506 AD, Standard, Marathon, Settler, Espionage game for 20,647 points.
@Swordnboard with a 2640 BC, Tiny, Normal, Settler, Domination game for 16,855 points.

A number of players gained a composite table High Score (i.e. Any Condition):

@Lazybones with a 1645 AD, Tiny, Normal, Prince, game for 136,803 points.

@Lazybones with a 1360 AD, Large, Quick, Noble, game for 106,614 points.

@WastinTime - 950 BC, Small, Marathon, Deity, Espionage game for 111,557 points.

This was the quickest Espionage game ever beating the previous record by 650 years! It's fascinating to see new tactics being worked out more than 10 years after the game's release. It's also good, in my opinion, that this technique has it's own category thus preserving traditional Cultural victories as we know Espionage is not everyone's cup of tea.

I could missing something but is there a reason why entry #29696 (published, 1600 AD) doesn't eclipse the 1710 AD, Standard, Quick, Monarch, Domination best (#275536)?

It does, but was played in the beta version of Buffy Mod. Change "main" to "main & beta" with the dropdown and you'll see it.

Yes, I think I will since I wasn't real happy with the dates anyway. I get impatient and start clicking end turn too fast.

This was the quickest Espionage game ever beating the previous record by 650 years! It's fascinating to see new tactics being worked out more than 10 years after the game's release. It's also good, in my opinion, that this technique has it's own category thus preserving traditional Cultural victories as we know Espionage is not everyone's cup of tea.
Thx for noticing. I was a couple turns short of my goal: 1000BC. It should be easy to beat. My strategy needs a bit of ironing out.

Thx for noticing. I was a couple turns short of my goal: 1000BC. It should be easy to beat. My strategy needs a bit of ironing out.

950BC! :egypt:
That blows away most regular culture games by 2000 years.

The Ottomans :lol:
I'm kind of fired up to compete for 1000BC now.

Your strategy of 0 Great spies and caste for 3 great artists looks very solid.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'll get 1000BC culture, but I still feel like there is more zoom in the Inca approach.
Spoiler :
Currently cloning 5000:espionage: every other turn.
Spy army is 35 and growing, but I keep getting x4 failure+deaths in a row.

The tech path is almost the same as yours WT, except for 2 detours to Oracle Alpha after Bronze Working, and the other to get Aesthetics so Parthenon and S.P. can be built to run Pacifism.

If I play Inca again, I think Great Wall should also be added to get a Great Spy as the 1st GP.
The extra turns spent in Caste to get 3 Great Artists should be worth it.
The later start of 1st legendary city due to slower 1st Great Artist will be worth it if the spies start with 9000:espionage: points instead of 1000:espionage:.
Building bit by bit until 9000:espionage: is reached using the slider around 1000BC is painful!

Since no further economy is needed to run slider after Great Spy is born, then Spies can be whipped much more heavily.
Only enough :gold: to prevent Strike is needed.

Kind of funny how everything still works while the civilization is in Anarchy. :crazyeye:
Just keep cloning those :espionage: points!

DeGaulle is the best.
Only 1 city capture and he is ready to talk Cease Fire.
I wish I'd have put my +4:espionage: on him at the start, but I forgot until T100, so I've basically thrown away 400:espionage: x 40 colonies = 16,000:espionage: points!
That is potentially 10% faster I'd estimate.

Last edited:
What do you mean here? I haven't heard about cloning before.

I discovered and intended to exploit the fact that when you make an AI create a colony it clones/duplicates the EP points for the vassal. So in the last SGotM, our team perfected the abuse of this mechanic.

What do you mean here? I haven't heard about cloning before.

When an AI creates a colony, all the :espionage: gets cloned onto the new AI.
That espionage is used to run spread :culture: missions, then the colony AI is destroyed and a Cease Fire is signed.

The cities are gifted again and a new colony is created with a fresh stash of espionage points.
This occurs every 2 turns and the espionage amount keeps going up because the espionage of the parent civ never gets spent.

It all revolves around moving an AI like De Gaulle to a tiny island, then giving him 4 cities on the mainland to goad him into forming a colony.
Then once the colony is formed, a 5th city is given to De Gaulle to be recaptured for 10 war success so he will talk Cease Fire once his colony is destroyed.

The whole operation is quite technical.

I discovered and intended to exploit the fact that when you make an AI create a colony it clones/duplicates the EP points for the vassal. So in the last SGotM, our team perfected the abuse of this mechanic.

Damn, damn, damn!
I blew the ending and lost 3 turns.

One of my Axes didn't get the March promotion or somesuch and died on the very last colony when I wasn't paying attention. (He had low hp)
Creating 40 or 50 colonies and gifting hundreds of cities is very mind numbing!
I was a few hundred :espionage: short of just using DeGaulle himself to end the game, so I tried to get him to form a 2nd colony while the 1st still existed (1 pesky city).
De Gaulle happily kept the 5 cities to himself even after their borders collapsed, so no new colony formed for some reason! :cry:

So I got 1100BC instead of 1130BC because my backup Chariot was keeping down anger in the capital for some stupid reason cause I though I had everything in the bag.
I still feel like 1 Great Spy + 3 Great Artists can blow 3 Great Artists + :espionage: slider out of the water. hmmm
Spoiler :

123 Spies built.
97 Spies died.
156 successful spread culture missions.

Chariots suck killing colony Warriors and was a debacle.
Next time it will be 8 Axes to start!

======================================================
I will never replicate a Quechua rush that great again in my life.
Settled on Banana, had 3 gems and lots of forests, stole 2 Workers from Russia + France.

1st capital attack got two victories at 18% odds.
No deaths and both Q's got 5xp :lol:
And the capital had 2 gold in the inner ring!

Russia was played like a fiddle until only 1 Archer was left.

Persia was weakly defended.

And the ultimate cake, Pacal was defending holy Buddhist city with Chariot.
I gave up in my mind about taking any of his cities, and then the Chariot attacked and lost with 75% odds to win.
Took the holy city with ease. :D
Later, I went for his capital even though I know he had Bronze Working and probably had a war ending Holkens in his capital.
Nope! Just archers.

Never saw anything like it, and I've done lots of Q rushes before.
Both stone and marble fell into my lap, and I had endless forests to chop.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Huh, after admiring map #5 of 10, I loaded up map #8 and I got this.
Spoiler :

Will just have to see how it plays out.
9 times out of 10 they fizzle.

Top Bottom