• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ IV shuts down my computer!

zimpig

Chieftain
I have tried with Warlords and the regular Civ IV, both are current with updates and it's not Vista because I've played them all before just fine...anyone had this problem? A random time into the game the computer simply suddenly shuts down.

no noises and no step by step shut down. just suddenly is OFF. just like that. like if you held the power button 5 seconds so it just straights shuts down immediately.

I have had the same experience. either CTD with an error report generated to microsoft or a total shutdown with no warning and once the system has rebooted it sends off an error report. I thought changing the motherboard to something more compatable for my graphics card would solve the problem but it didn't and i still have the same problem.

when i checked the event log it showed this:
Source: Application error
Category: None
Event ID: 1001

in description -
Fault bucket 719953535.

then underneath in bytes -
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 37 31 39 39 35 33 35 33 71995353
0010: 35 0d 0a 5..

and that was it

I resisted the good argument for sounding like a hardware problem because I've played them all so much on this box before but lately the problem has expanded to any app so it's either hardware or Vista. I've been using a backup computer but since Vista finally came out with service pack 1 i'll give it another shot... Thanks for all replies.

I'm guessing it is Vista. I have not had a cmplete shutdown but I have had a couple of interruptions. The program stops for a few seconds then carries on.

Yes, either Vista or your graphics card.

'fraid the option that would probably give the best long-term results is using Windows Xp on that particular hardware.

Do make sure you have the latest video drivers first though. You might also consider borrowing a friend's graphics card, to see if the problem goes away with a different card. (If you have a graphics card, you might be lucky to have a second graphics "card" onboard the motherboard, if so, you've lucked out and can try this straight away)

turns out it was a power issue with handling the slots, replaced power supply and no more problems. haven't had any problems with vista since day 1 btw

I´m experiencing unwanted restarts when trying to load a saved-game or start a new game. I havn´t played CIV4 BTS for a couple of weeks and now I get no error message - just a restart. During the load/start everything goes fine until the final screen before the map appears - the last window is "....finishing" - then my computer restarts.

I´m on XP SP2 and had all my CIV4/BTS patches loaded. It´s worked fine for a year. Has there been a new Windows Update that has screwed things up ? Is there a new Fix-patch ?

Anybody have any ideas ?

does the windows event viewer contain an error?
No, it just starts rebooting :confused:

I´m going to try reloading the Windows fix that was released just after BTS was launched - maybe I´ve unknowingly changed my Graphics set-up...

P.S. Warlords does the same too !

:hmm: this sounds like a hardware problem - maybe a faulty memory (RAM or graphics) - hard reboots are not something any program should do on its own... of course there is always the possibility of malware doing bad things on your computer...

I´ve fixed the problem - but first I completely un-installed CIV4 +add-ons+hidden files, then re-installed everything - but to no avail - the same error occurred :mad:

Then I remembered that I had changed the optimal memory usage from Programs to System Cache, (improves recording from TV-Card). After changing it back, CIV runs fine :goodjob:

Thanks for your support...:)

Top Bottom