[R&F] Civ of the Week: Cree

Who should be next weeks Civ?

• Greece (Tonight, we dine in Hell! Also, hill start bias and free envoys)

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Norway (think of them like Gilgabro of the Water)

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Nubia (think of them like Gilgabro but with Archers)

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Sumeria (think of them like ... oh no wait...)

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Sythia (hang on, isn't their UU from the Classical era?... bother...)

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cree are super strong early because all their bonuses are front loaded. I enjoy building my cities directly toward opponents and sending foreign trade routes to build pathways for conquering. They are also one of the best religion civs IMO (though still very flexible for any victory type). Those extra scouts in the opening generally pay pretty good dividends and really increase your chances of getting a good pantheon. I usually prioritize holy sites early with the Cree and try to make the most out of monumentality since you are pretty much guaranteed a golden age. They have a definite advantage in securing resources quickly which translates to earlier swordsman/horsemen and more effective early rushes. I always feel like I am playing one level lower in difficulty with the Cree. I like their UU though I'm probably in the minority on that - they can be even be used to help conquer cities in a pinch. They aren't as useful on Deity for combat but those extra promotions still really help you explore the map quickly and grab an extra envoy bonus or two. I also like going Liang first with Cree to take better advantage of all those extra tiles.

Yea they came a bit later. I got 7 out of the first 8 GMs until the rest started catching up.

This never happened to me. It's always the 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd GM who adds a trade route and he only costs 60 GP points. The 2nd one comes shortly after that, not sure exactly when but certainly very early, at least on Deity.

Do people think Civs with early bonuses are even stronger in R&F, because they let you get an earlier Golden Age?

Or is early dark more useful?

Good question. I'd rate the civs with two early bonuses for a total of +8 era score slightly higher because they can get the classical Monumentality GA, yes! Even better if that bonus involves a faith bonus like Russia's lavra, Egypt's Sphinx, Scythia's whatever ^^. Or Nubia's and Egypt's +8 era score and desert bias because you can rush to Jebal Bekal and get tons of faith per turn.
The medieval heroic GA is the most insane GA you can get in the entire game though. But it's risky, especially on a crowded map with lots of loyalty issues. I'd say Germany is the best civ for that GA combo because they have tons of districts for the extra culture and commercial hubs for the extra science at that point.

Not sure which one is actually better. Both early GAs in a row are obviously best but I don't think there is a civ who can get both of them 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Do people think Civs with early bonuses are even stronger in R&F, because they let you get an earlier Golden Age?

Or is early dark more useful?

Rome and Greece I think are good with either but an early dark is most useful for them since they reach t1 governments faster.

I just started a Cree game, this is the start I got:
Spoiler :

Not bad at all:
  • Settler started on riverside plains hills
  • 2 tiles with 2 food 2 production in the first ring
  • Two awesome grassland hills with forests and furs nearby, another great fur tile to the south
  • Nice balance of hills, flat terrain, and some mountains for good holy site/campus locations
  • Several great Mekewap locations
  • Plenty of choppable forest
I'm playing this on Emperor, Small Continents with High Sea Level, Epic speed.

Attachments

• k.Civ6Save
    352.7 KB · Views: 141
Wait...Small Continents? Oh you mean small and continents. Dang, thought there was a setting for smaller continents, like civ 5 had.

I would have liked a setting for that. That is why I am using high sea level, though. I suppose that will shrink the landmasses a little bit.

Are we ready for Greece yet?

I do want to play a game as Pericles. I don't think I have ever played a full game with him (just a partial 1 turn time victory game to get the win achievement with him). I've played Gorgo a couple of times, and find her very very powerful. That's why it almost seems like Gorgo and Pericles should be split up. One seems much more powerful than the other. Because getting Suzerains seems difficult.

But I will try. I will play Pericles and see if I can manage to get Suzerain over city states. We'll see how big an impact it has. Not sure if I'll go peaceful all the way through or aggressive start. Will depend on the map I suppose. Because honestly I don't know how to play Pericles well, and am looking forward to the new Civ of the week thread.

I do want to play a game as Pericles. I don't think I have ever played a full game with him (just a partial 1 turn time victory game to get the win achievement with him). I've played Gorgo a couple of times, and find her very very powerful. That's why it almost seems like Gorgo and Pericles should be split up. One seems much more powerful than the other. Because getting Suzerains seems difficult.

But I will try. I will play Pericles and see if I can manage to get Suzerain over city states. We'll see how big an impact it has. Not sure if I'll go peaceful all the way through or aggressive start. Will depend on the map I suppose. Because honestly I don't know how to play Pericles well, and am looking forward to the new Civ of the week thread.

It has been my experience that one shines in the early game (Gorgo), and the other shines in the late game (Pericles).

How do we summarize the Cree?
Good all around civ?
Suited for any victory without special victory path advantage?
Ranks sort of middle of the pack?
No apparent unique strategy associated with them?

It’s quite easy to get suzaran with CS’s as Greece as the acropolis grants an envoy when built, and you’ll want lots of them to take full advantage of the trait.

Why not start a Greek thread rather than messing up the Cree thread??

I think they are a good all round civ, above average in power, well suited to any victory type. They are better suited for peaceful play, though, as they focus on trade, and their unique unit is mostly good for scouting, and not so much for warfare.

I really like the Cree, not just for their abilities, but for their overall theme and presentation. It is one of my favorite civs.

How do we summarize the Cree?
Good all around civ?
Suited for any victory without special victory path advantage?
Ranks sort of middle of the pack?
No apparent unique strategy associated with them?

Good all around I supposed, but they do excel at peaceful play, so I can't say they are truly an all around civ since they lack combat strength of civs with good uu's or combat abilities. The money can help with unit maintenance, that's about it. But single player combat as it is, even civs with generic units can excel if you really want them to.

I still think they are a 90% ranking for me which is A- in how I like to rank them. The music is a plus.

General strat is to make money and have large cities with the good housing cap.

the Real World got in the way slightly.

Real world? What is that? Look at the clock, oh I do need to get some sleep for work unfortunately. Have to cut my Greece game shorter than I'd like it

Top Bottom