[BNW] Civ Pack troubles from an overzealous newbie

AShamelessOC

Chieftain
Greetings everyone! A little late to the party here, but I started trying to get into modding for Civ5, trying to put together a pack of custom civilizations(a couple of fantasy states that are effectively inserts among a group of friends I am playing with). I've been using some reading through the material on the forums and kael's guide, but currently I am at a bit of a standstill while I work though the code, and was wondering if anyone had some insight into some egregious errors I may be performing. (In hindsight, I realize I may have overshot making multiple at once, but I suppose my line of thought was that if I gained enough of an understanding to get one of them working, it would just be a matter of repetition afterwards).
So, currently, here is my current situation with the modpack: (for reference no other mods are currently enabled)
-Modded Civs are select-able in the Advanced setup screen but I cannot scroll through the regular setup screen. Aside from this and the following issues, they can be selected and played in-game.
-The only Icon Art Assets that seem to be loading are the DOM screen/leader diplomacy image.
-UUs are listed in DOM screen as unique, but any Civ can build them. (I have been usings Howard's Unit builder to make UUs, I believe this is just a matter of forgetting to set the parent Civ for units? Please correct me if the XMLs or logs suggest otherwise)
-UBs do not appear at all, though the Monument(the building type they are intended to replace) is still removed from the list of available buildings when building in a city.
-When going to attempt to save the game, it is interrupted by an error message stating the Map Graphic is absent(presumably because it displays the map graphic when saving/loading?)

I will attach the Zipped mod folder in its current state, along with some of the log files. Thank you in advance for the time any of you take to look at this for me :) I hope I can prevent a lot of these newbie mistakes in the future~
(PS- slight NSFW warning as one of the participants said modpack is for requested a "Golden Phallus" structure, though the image is just derived from a Minecraft Screenshot, it is needless to say this mod will not be posted to Steam)
(also minor, but excuse the low grade DOM/Leader art, it is more or less a placeholder while someone more artistically inclined makes quality drawings)

Attachments

• Friends and Fantasy (v1).zip
    7 MB · Views: 93
Did a little bit of editing, and things have improved, but there are a few issues still:
-Modded civs appear in-game, but the Map dds images still will not load(thus preventing saving in-game)
-UBs can be built[with the exceptions below]
-The Philosophy Tower(Kuala Kauhale's UB) and The Municipal Aide(Herzenziech's UB) do not appear on their respective build lists in-game.
-Also, curiously, when any of the new UBs are built, their parent city turns invisible(that is, the model disappears)
-Leader Icons load correctly, Civilization Flag icons do not appear correctly(specifically Herzenzeich's icon does not load, though it seems to refer to the correct space on the atlas)

[PS, does this update count as a bump? My apologies if it does]

Attachments

• Friends and Fantasy(v 1) updated.zip
    7 MB · Views: 37
  1. You don't redefine an existing Building-Class, you merely state that your building fits into this class in when you define your new Monument-type building, etc, in table <Buildings>
    • Attempting to do so is giving this error (and others like it) in the database.log, and causes the game to discard the entire contents of the xml-file wherein the error is located.
      Code:
      [884922.078] column Type is not unique
      [884922.078] While executing - 'insert into BuildingClasses('Type', 'DefaultBuilding', 'Description') values (?, ?, ?);'
      [884922.078] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into BuildingClasses('Type', 'DefaultBuilding', 'Description') with  values (BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT, BUILDING_FOOTFALLCHURCH, Church of Footfalls, ).
      [884922.078] In XMLSerializer while updating table BuildingClasses from file XML/Emigaerm/Buildings.xml.
      [884922.078] column Type is not unique
  2. This error is occuring because within the stated xml-file you are attempting to re-define a "Tag" that already exists within the game:
    Code:
    [884923.718] columns Language, Tag are not unique
    [884923.718] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
    [884923.718] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with  values (TXT_KEY_LEADER_ANOTHER_DEFEATED_1, You fool! Do you know what you have done? The world will long lament your heinous crime!, ).
    [884923.718] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file XML/Gargoul's Hollow/DiplomacyResponses.xml.
    [884923.718] columns Language, Tag are not unique
    • Every new tag you add to table Language_en_US must be unique to all other already-existing tags registered to the game's database. Violation of this rule causes the game to discard the entire contents of the file where the violation occurs.
    • Hint: copy-paste-edit sometimes leads to inadvertent repeats of tag-names when you forget to "edit" after the copy/paste
  3. These are incorrect designations:
    Code:
    [884929.640] Invalid Reference on Civilization_FreeUnits.UnitAIType - "UNITAI_SCOUT" does not exist in UnitAIInfos
    [884929.640] Invalid Reference on Civilization_Religions.ReligionType - "RELIGION_BHUDDISM" does not exist in Religions[884930.093] Invalid Reference on Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources.YieldType - "SCIENCE" does not exist in Yields
    [884930.093] Invalid Reference on Trait_YieldChangesNaturalWonder.YieldType - "FAITH" does not exist in Yields
    [884930.093] Invalid Reference on Trait_YieldChangesPerTradePartner.YieldType - "GOLD" does not exist in Yields
    You must designate exactly as the game has defined all such things like names of yields, religions, etc. These are the correct designations:
    1. RELIGION_BUDDHISM
    2. YIELD_SCIENCE
    3. YIELD_FAITH
    4. YIELD_GOLD
    5. UNITAI_EXPLORE
      • not sure why you are attempting to use UNITAI_SCOUT in table Civilization_FreeUnits as really the only thing that should show in that table are settlers, and done like this:
        Code:
        	<Civilization_FreeUnits>
        		<Row>
        			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_SCIPIO_ROME</CivilizationType>
        			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_SETTLER</UnitClassType>
        			<Count>1</Count>
        			<UnitAIType>UNITAI_SETTLE</UnitAIType>
        		</Row>
        	</Civilization_FreeUnits>
        Difficulty level selected by the player and the civ's best available starting unit determine which exact units are given other than the settler at the start of the game.
  4. This and similar designations are all incorrect for an IconAtlas "Type" name:
    Code:
    Art/Friendleaders
    So, for example, here
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Civilizations>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM_DESC</Description>
    			<CivilopediaTag>TXT_KEY_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM_CIV_ID</CivilopediaTag>
    			<Playable>1</Playable>
    			<AIPlayable>1</AIPlayable>
    			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
    			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
    			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM</DefaultPlayerColor>
    			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_AMERICA</ArtDefineTag>
    			<ArtStyleType></ArtStyleType>
    			<ArtStyleSuffix>_AMER</ArtStyleSuffix>
    			<ArtStylePrefix>AMERICAN</ArtStylePrefix>
    			<PortraitIndex>3</PortraitIndex>
    			<IconAtlas>Art/FriendAtlasSymbol</IconAtlas>
    			<AlphaIconAtlas>Art/FriendAtlasSymbolcolor</AlphaIconAtlas>
    			<MapImage>Art/Mapemigaerm.dds</MapImage>
    			<DawnOfManQuote>TXT_KEY_CIV5_DAWN_CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM_TEXT</DawnOfManQuote>
    			<DawnOfManImage>Art/DOM_Emigaerm.dds</DawnOfManImage>
    			<DawnOfManAudio></DawnOfManAudio>
    		</Row>
    	</Civilizations>
    You need <IconAtlas> and <AlphaIconAtlas> to match to a valid designation of <Atlas> from within table <IconTextureAtlases>, so you would want as
    Code:
    <IconAtlas>FriendAtlasSymbolcolor</IconAtlas>
  5. You have nothing that looks valid for the alpha atlas (ie, <AlphaIconAtlas>) because this needs to be a "white" cut-out essentially. You should look at one of JFD or Pouakai's mods, or one of Leugi's etc for example of what these alpha atlases need to look like.
  6. Getting the problem where the leader selection menu won't scroll down through the list of leaders is always caused by at least one civilization not having the minimum required two unique elements (units, building, or improvement). Buildings that fail to load into the game because of fatal code errors in the file, for example, do not exist so far as the game is concerned and therefore cause the problem. It does not matter whether the building is defined within the mod, only whether the game accepts the code within the file.
  7. your buildings are failing because of the issues with attempting to re-register the building-class that already exists
  8. a unit cannot be both the default unit within its class and a unigue replacement unit registered into table <Civilization_UnitClassOverrides> at one and the same time. The game simply does not understand how to implement this correctly.
  9. This is OK
    Code:
    	<Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
    		<Row>
    			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_EMIGAERM</CivilizationType>
    			<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT</BuildingClassType>
    			<BuildingType>BUILDING_FOOTFALL_CHURCH</BuildingType>
    		</Row>
    	</Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
    But this is not
    Code:
    	<BuildingClasses>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT</Type>
    			<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_FOOTFALLCHURCH</DefaultBuilding>
    			<Description>Church of Footfalls</Description>
    		</Row>
    	</BuildingClasses>
    	<Buildings>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>BUILDING_FOOTFALLCHURCH</Type>
    			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT</BuildingClass>
  10. You need to eliminate the <BuildingClasses> table from your files and simply state as
    Code:
    	<Buildings>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>BUILDING_FOOTFALLCHURCH</Type>
    			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT</BuildingClass>
    This tells the game that the new building called BUILDING_FOOTFALLCHURCH fits into the pre-existing Building-class called BUILDINGCLASS_MONUMENT.
  11. eliminate these designations from all your buildnig-definitions:
    Code:
    <DisplayPosition>2</DisplayPosition>
    This is for display on the main map and unless you are going to provide the game with a new art-def to use to 3d animate your building, you don't want this designation. (and you are not ready to attempt to tackle a main-map 3d building animation, trust me).

keeping these column statements won't really hurt anything but they don't help either.Now that I think about it it is probably one source of the dissappearing city.
  12. Delete this and any similar from any of the other files
    Code:
    		<Row>
    			<BuildingType/>
    		</Row>
    It is both not needed and directly in conflict with this
    Code:
    		<Row>
    			<BuildingType>BUILDING_FOOTFALL_CHURCH</BuildingType>
    		</Row>
  13. A unit cannot belong to more than one unit-class:
    Code:
    	<UnitClasses>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>UNITCLASS_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</Description>
    			<DefaultUnit>UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</DefaultUnit>
    		</Row>
    	</UnitClasses>
    	<Units>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</Description>
    			<CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_NAVALRANGED</CombatClass>
    			<Domain>DOMAIN_SEA</Domain>
    			<Class>UNITCLASS_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</Class>
    		</Row>
    	</Units>
    	<Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    		<Row>
    			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_GARGOULSHOLLOW</CivilizationType>
    			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_GALLEY</UnitClassType>
    			<UnitType>UNIT_PEACEKEEPR_FLEET</UnitType>
    		</Row>
    	</Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    and
    Code:
    	<Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    		<Row>
    			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_GARGOULSHOLLOW</CivilizationType>
    			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</UnitClassType>
    			<UnitType>UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</UnitType>
    		</Row>
    	</Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
  14. This table is not a direct "yield-amount" table. <Yield> specifies a % of the defeated unit's combat strength that is realised as the stated <YieldType>:
    Code:
    	<Unit_YieldFromKills>
    		<Row>
    			<UnitType>UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET</UnitType>
    			<YieldType>YIELD_FAITH</YieldType>
    			<Yield>5</Yield>
    		</Row>
    	</Unit_YieldFromKills>
    So you are asking for 5% of the defeated unit's strength to be applied as faith to the civ when one of its UNIT_PEACEKEEPER_FLEET units kills another unit.
  15. Column <FasterAlongRiver> means that all units of the civ treat all hexes along rivers as if they were flat unfeatured plains or grasslands, and does not discriminate between civilian and combat units. Has nothing at all to do with column <RiverTradeRoad> and the two do not stack against each other to create an effect.
  16. There are probably other errors you are making but that gives you enough to get started on.

Last edited:
Thank you immensely! I have gone through and done most of the changes you suggested(I still haven't updated the language tags, but I will work on those shortly)
The buildings all seem to be working now, and I think you were right about the Displayposition, after removing it the cities no longer vanish post-UB.
Reading through your guide on common newbie mistakes, I actually had a little chuckle when I got to Eating the Elephant, since that seems by now to be what I did, haha
At any rate, the select menu scrolls properly now, and all the icons seem to be appearing(Herzenzeich's icon looks like it was just a matter of incorrect punctuation)
However, what is vexxing is the Map images still aren't appearing... Not sure if I referenced them incorrectly, I have attached the new version with logs regardless

Attachments

• Friends and Fantasy v 2.1 .zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 59
Top Bottom