Civ specific Dawn of Man

3Miro, I saw you changed the Dawn of Man title to: RHYE'S AND FALL OF CIVILIZATIONS - EUROPE
What's the official name of the mod?
I always thought it's Rhye's and Fall of Europe (or Rhye's and Fall: Europe)

Rhye's and Fall of Europe suggests a "Fall of Europe", which in very inaccurate since right at the end of the mod, with the colonial powers and the industrial revolution, Europe enters the era of total world domination. The true name was settled years ago: "Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations: Europe" or RFCEurope or RFCE. In other words, civilizations rise of fall within Europe. This is accurate.

You can also see the name in the main screen as well as the loading screen (upper right corner).

So, what's the agreement, should I remove the 50000 followers or not?
Also, any more improvements on the existing texts?

I think we should remove that. There is some disagreement on the estimates of the number of Bulgarians, according to many historians this wouldn't be enough to defeat the Byzantine army that Constantine sent against them. Some modern historians list the number as much larger, however, we to avoid taking sided in a historical debates, we should just leave the number out.

You can just say: "your people finally reached..."

Byzantium-

It is the year 500 A.D. After many glorius centuries under Rome, the great Constantine saw fit to split the mighty empire into two parts.

While Rome will always have a place in your people's hearts, Constantinople is now the heart of the most glorius nation on Earth!

Now you, Justinian, rule as the mighty Roman Emperor. Your nation is strong, but the barbarians may be stronger. Your people have faith that you can lead thier mighty nation through the coming storm. Will you prevail, and lead the Byzantine Empire through another 1,000 years of glory?

Many historians take Justinian to be the first Byzantine Emperor and the beginning of the mod is rounded. We take the fall of Western Rome, Clovis becoming the first king of the Franks and Justinian becoming the first Byzantine Emperor all to happen in 500AD. So reference to Justinian in the Byzantine screen is fine.

My only note is to consider whether we should name Constantine as spiting the Empire or Diocletian.

Rhye's and Fall of Europe suggests a "Fall of Europe", which in very inaccurate since right at the end of the mod, with the colonial powers and the industrial revolution, Europe enters the era of total world domination. The true name was settled years ago: "Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations: Europe" or RFCEurope or RFCE. In other words, civilizations rise of fall within Europe. This is accurate.

If that would be the case, "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization" would also suggest that the mod is about "Fall of Civilization". Which is not true of course
Not to mention "Rhye's and Fall of Asia", "Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World", "Rhye's and Fall of Britain" and other rfc mods or mod-plans
So I don't think "Rhye's and Fall of Europe" would be worse at all

You can also see the name in the main screen as well as the loading screen (upper right corner).

I know, but I was unsure about the official name because the subforum here uses "Rhye's and Fall: Europe" everywhere, and the welcoming texts of the mod says "Rhye's and Fall of Europe" in most cases

Actually I prefer "Rhye's and Fall: Europe" the most from the 3 versions
But I don't really mind either way, so we can stick to "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: Europe" if you would like to use that

I think we should remove that. There is some disagreement on the estimates of the number of Bulgarians, according to many historians this wouldn't be enough to defeat the Byzantine army that Constantine sent against them. Some modern historians list the number as much larger, however, we to avoid taking sided in a historical debates, we should just leave the number out.

You can just say: "your people finally reached..."

Alright, will change this too

If that would be the case, "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization" would also suggest that the mod is about "Fall of Civilization". Which is not true of course
Not to mention "Rhye's and Fall of Asia", "Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World", "Rhye's and Fall of Britain" and other rfc mods or mod-plans
So I don't think "Rhye's and Fall of Europe" would be worse at all

The name is Rise and Fall of Civilizations in Europe, we spell it Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations: Europe. The Civilizations are the French, English, Byzantines ... some of them rise, some of them fall, some of them rise and then fall. All of them are in Europe.

Rhye's mod is Rise and Fall of Civilization, which is done to distinguish it form the Civ III mod Rhye's of Europe. It has somewhat different meaning.

I don't know what other people have done with their mods. AFAIK RFCE is the oldest of the region specific mods.

Many historians take Justinian to be the first Byzantine Emperor and the beginning of the mod is rounded. We take the fall of Western Rome, Clovis becoming the first king of the Franks and Justinian becoming the first Byzantine Emperor all to happen in 500AD. So reference to Justinian in the Byzantine screen is fine.

My only note is to consider whether we should name Constantine as spiting the Empire or Diocletian.

Constantine did indeed split the empire.

He was one of the few late Roman Emperors who had some idea what he should be doing. However, the Western part of the empire was so corrput, Constantine severed it. He moved the capitol to Byzantium, and renamed it Constantinople.

As far as I know, Diocletian did not split the empire.

Constantine did indeed split the empire.

He was one of the few late Roman Emperors who had some idea what he should be doing. However, the Western part of the empire was so corrput, Constantine severed it. He moved the capitol to Byzantium, and renamed it Constantinople.

As far as I know, Diocletian did not split the empire.

Constantine did rule both East and West Rome, he did build Constantinople, but it is arguable whether or not he actually moved the capital. Diocletian split the Empire between his sons, the result of that was that now there were not only two regions and two capitals, but two Emperors.

You actually took that text about Cordoba!?! It has a big aura of sarcasm about it, I would say it destroy the historic feel of the mod!

You actually took that text about Cordoba!?! It has a big aura of sarcasm about it, I would say it destroy the historic feel of the mod!

I do not consider many of those texts to be the "final" version
There is always room for improvement, even on the ones that are already pretty good.
If you think some of the texts are inappropriate for the mod, just post some new suggestions, and then we can discuss what should be in

New Cordoba-

It is the year 711 A.D.

Abd-ar-Rahman III, you and your people may have finnally found a home. After fleeing from the Sunni Muslims in the east, many thought your Umayyad line to be extinct.

Not so! You have come to a place called "Al-Andalus", and it is easily the richest land you have ever seen. Perhaps, Allah willing, your people can settle here and build a Caliphate to rival that of the prophet Muhammed.

You need only worry about the fanatic Christians to the north...

(End)

It's kind of long, but I don't see it as overkill. I'm also thinking about writing a new Norse one, it seems inferior to the others.

New Cordoba-

It is the year 711 A.D.

Abd-ar-Rahman III, you and your people may have finnally found a home. After fleeing from the Sunni Muslims in the east, many thought your Umayyad line to be extinct.

Not so! You have come to a place called "Iberia", and it is easily the richest land you have ever seen. Perhaps, Allah willing, your people can settle here and build a Caliphate to rival the great stories from the homeland.

You need only worry about the fanatic Catholics to the north...

(End)

It's kind of long, but I don't see it as overkill. I'm also thinking about writing a new Norse one, it seems inferior to the others.

Change "Iberia" to "al-Andalus"

"Al-Andalus (Arabic: الأندلس, trans. al-ʼAndalus, Spanish: Al-Ándalus, Portuguese: Al-Andalus) was the Arabic name given to a nation and territorial region also commonly referred to as Moorish Iberia. The name describes parts of the Iberian Peninsula and Septimania governed by Muslims (given the generic name of Moors), at various times in the period between 711 and 1492, although the territorial boundaries underwent constant changes due to wars with the Christian Kingdoms." -from Wikipedia

Change "Catholics" to "Christians"

I suggest change "build a Caliphate to rival the great stories from the homeland" to "build a Caliphate to rival that of the prophet Muhammad"

Done. Thanks for the help.

Thanks!
Will update the Cordoban text too

The last 3 remaining texts:

Cordoba:
It is the year 711 AD. After the long struggle, the seemingly endless fleeing from the Sunni Muslims in the east, many thought your Umayyad line to be extinct.[NEWLINE]Not so! You, Abd-ar-Rahman III, lead your people to a new place called "Al-Andalus", where you and your people may finally find a new home[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]These new lands may easily be the richest you have ever seen, so with Allah's will you can build a rich and happy Caliphate - full of poetry, art and religious toleration - which can even rival that of the prophet Muhammed![NEWLINE]You only have to worry about those fanatic Christians to the north...

Kiev:
It is the year 880 AD. After the mighty walls of Constantinople hampered your attack in 866, you decide to settle down with some of your fellow Varangians. The land you just set yout foot on seems perfect for this.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]The slavic people living here accept you as their leader, while your Swedish Vikings establish themselves as the local elite. Life is good, the land is fertile, you and your descendants will surely lead your new nation, the Kievan Rus into glory.[NEWLINE]If only you weren't had those dreams about reckless hordes raising in the east...

Hungary:
It's the year 895 AD. While your glorious armies warred with the Byzanites and Bulgarians, the traitorous Pechenegs attacked your families and the remaining tribes in the homeland. Without defences they had to flee, and you know you cannot lead them back to your previous home[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]After taking your nation further to the west you finally reached the Carpathian-basin, which is everything your people need: wealthy, fertile - and most importantly - easily defendable. Immediately falling in love with it, you claim these lands as yours forever.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]One thing is sure though: all the previous civilizations holding these lands before faded away throughout the centuries. You have to accept some of the european ways if you want to establish a long-living and succesful nation here.

I also made some minor improvements to most of the other texts
Will upload everything to the SVN soon, and update the first post in this thread with the latest texts
There is aways room for improvement though, post if you don't like something

Anyway, now that the vanilla RFCE civs are more or less finished, we can also start working on the RFCE++ civs
I would like to see a somewhat unified DoM for all the civs in RFCE II

Serbia:
It is the year 1180 AD. The Kingdom of Serbia has been established with the Nemanjic dynasty but it is still new to the throne and in its infancy. St. Sava inspires the people. The Kingdom envisions all of Greece in its rule but first it will have to prove its self against its expansionist neighbors. To the north lies the powerful Catholic Hungarian Empire while to the east and south lie the mighty Bulgarians and Byzantines. Even though they are all brothers in faith, their peoples have constantly warred with each other. However all of these civilizations will only be a test for the still to come Ottoman Empire

I'm not that good at these DoM texts so please give critiscism. :)

Serbia:
It is the year 1180 AD. The Kingdom of Serbia has been established with the Nemanjic dynasty but it is still new to the throne and in its infancy. St. Sava inspires the people. The Kingdom envisions all of Greece in its rule but first it will have to prove its self against its expansionist neighbors. To the north lies the powerful Catholic Hungarian Empire while to the east and south lie the mighty Bulgarians and Byzantines. Even thought they are all brothers in faith, their peoples have constantly warred with each other. However all of these civilizations will only be a test for the still to come Ottoman Empire

I'm not that good at these DoM texts so please give critiscism. :)

It's perfectly fine for an initial version, we can always improve a couple things if needed ;)

But I just realized, maybe Morholt already added a few lines to the new civs in RFCE++
Can anyone confirm this? I don't have RFCE++ installed ATM

Revised a couple more texts:

It is the year 780 AD. The winters in Scandinavia are harsh, but have bred a sturdy people and your longships are the envy of any sailor. Harald Hardrada, your loyal vikings are eager to show their strength to the whole world![NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Far away Vinland, the coast of Normandy and the rich monastery of Lindisfarne beckons. Which path will you follow? Explore? Conquer? Trade? Maybe all three combined? The choice is yours, only one thing is certain: Be bold, be swift, be strong, and the halls of Valhalla will await you!

Your small county of Portugal just decided to break the family ties with Leon and declared it's independence, creating the Kingdom of Portugal. It's 1139 AD, and you, Afonso Henriques, are the king of the newly formed country.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]It is time to strengthen your position by proceeding with the reconquista to the south, but you should also prepare for your ultimate goal: to expand beyond the Iberian Peninsula. Your position makes it ideal to claim the riches of North Africa and the Atlantic islands - and who knows, maybe even much further lands than those.

It is the year 1282. Your Habsburg dynasty was quickly gaining strength through the estates of the Holy Roman Empire. With recently acquiring the rich lands of Austria, you are much more powerful than you ever thought it will be possible. Still, your ambitions are forcing you to climb much higher, and who knows where will be the end?[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Navigate carefully through the intricate diplomacy of central Europe, and your dynasty will still stand proudly many hundreds of years from now!

Any thougts?

Opening Post updated with the latest DoM texts
Feel free to further improve them, both grammatically and generally

I need Dawn of Man texts for all 7 new civilizations, and Sweden
Anyone interested in doing some of these?

Top Bottom