1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ specific Dawn of Man

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Sep 12, 2011.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Burgundy:

Germany:
    Kiev:

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks!
    Made some additional changes for Kiev

3. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Maybe my english skill is not enough but i can't understand the german dom text. I mean the second sentence.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Bulgaria:
    Hungary:
    Scotland:
    Genoa:
    England:

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Cool, will be up with my next commit.
    OP also updated with the latest changes.

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Some more:

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

"and southern Sweden the target of a crusade less than a century ago."
    I get the idea behind leaving out the was, as it is actually "with southern Sweden the target of a crusade less than a century ago.", but it still sounds very strange to me this way
    southern Sweden being the target? would that be wrong?

EDIT: simply went with 2 sentences instead :)
    "Christianisation has been slow as well. Southern Sweden was the target of a crusade less than a century ago and pagan beliefs are still important in much of the country."

8. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

That would work as well, I just think that it sounds and flows better this way without the "being".

9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

OP updated with all the latest versions.
    Everyone feel free to point out further mistakes, or suggest additional improvements.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

While the DoM texts for the 500AD scenario are in a pretty good shape, we should have some different ones for the 1200AD scenario.
    Obviously only for civs which would start before that date otherwise.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Soooo, no interest in this?
    Should we just have the normal DoM text for everyone in the 1200AD scenario too?
    Even for civs spawning much before that?

12. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I haven't messed around with the 1200 scenario yet (although I will sooner or later) but I'd guess if you're gonna have the text appear at all it should be updated. Quick-and-dirty example for England:

"The 13th Century dawns over an England in turmoil. The Lion Heart lies dead, and the nobles are unimpressed with his brother John. The soldiers have mostly returned from the Third Crusade, dejected that they never even tried to attack Jerusalem. They face a growing threat from Scotland in the north, a strengthening France on the Continent, and dissension amongst their own barons.

You must lead your English people through the looming civil wars and emerge stronger than ever. You must soon marshal your forces against the French, as Normandy and Anjou depend on your protection.

...okay, I don't know how to end it. Something something British Empire. End quote.

(Please bear in mind with all that, I have an American understanding of history...) :crazyeye:

Will the same leader eras be used for the 1200 scenario? (i.e., "HerptyDerp has risen to become leader of the Derpish Kingdom!", because the game reached Turn X, and that's the year Herpty shows up.) Because most/all of the current DoM quotes reference the leader who forged the nation at that particular time (William in 1066 for England and so on.) Would William still be the leader at the beginning of the 1200 scenario, or are you guys starting with Elizabeth? The reason I'm asking is it might not work very well to say something rousing about the leader at that particular time (especially since in this case we're talking about King John).

13. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I wouldn't invest too much effort into this, since you start the game with pressing "Continue" button without reading anything. At least as I do. Even after years of play, can not recall the French or Byz DoM texts....although I've read them several times....

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Probably the best solution would be to adress the player instead of the historic leader.
    Simply: "You have risen as the new leader for the xyz Kingdom"

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Khmm, shame on you :spank:
    I'm pretty sure though, that you are the vast minority (is that a term an english? let's just say (1 - vast majority) to be sure :) ) on this. Fortunately.
    These texts are pretty cool, and all these small things add much to the atmosphere :king:

16. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I take all the shame and blame. Yes thats the term...and it really adds flavor to the game so go do it. i'l try to do something with the wiki instead. Any tips how to do it are welcome though...

17. TheMulattoMaker

Okay, that makes sense.

So each one would basically be a snapshot of how [Country] is doing in 1200, and maybe of hint of what's probably to come (especially as it relates to their UHV)? If that's the case, I could probably come up with rough drafts for a few of them, as long as Wikipedia's an acceptable source... :mischief:

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind :)
    At least for a first version for them, we can always improve them later on if someone has something better in mind for any of them.

Would be awesome if you started on them, huge thanks for it!

19. TheMulattoMaker

Question, then: It's my understanding that the 1200 scenario is basically autoplayed until 1200 in the same way that it autoplays for any civ except France and Byzantium, rather than a rigid map of "this is how Europe looked in 1200 AD" that starts the exact same way every time. If that's the case, some of the texts might be irrelevant or incorrect from the very start. For example, Burgundy's might be "blah blah, you've survived French onslaughts for centuries, blah blah pick a side in the Hundred Years' War, blah blah extend your empire up to the Low Countries, blah blah be a better France than France." But then when the autoplay ends, the player finds themselves having lost Dijon 100 years before and barely holding on to Marseille while a monster of a French army looms. Or... they're allied with England and Genoa, and France has just fallen into civil war and Burgundy's almost done with their UHVs right from the start.

So- roughly how reliable of a start will each country have? Or, how vague should the DoM text be?

20. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

the 1200 scenario is fixed, will be always the same, and there is no burgundy btw. But we have to improve it to represent better the shape of Europe at that time.