1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ specific Dawn of Man

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Yes I am! give me a few days to do so

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, but there is no need to ask for a few days.
    You can post your suggestions whenever you think you can improve some texts, same for everyone else :)
    Also, best version wins ;)

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

These are the currently included texts for the new civs
    I would like to improve most

Novgorod:
    It is the year %s1_year. You, %s3_leader, have been invited by the %s2_civ people to rule over them. Novgorod the Great has the potential to grow into a fabulously wealthy city, the envy of both West and East. But can you hold the fledgling principality together when both West and East come for you?

Norway:
    It is the year %s1_year. The various petty kingdoms of Norway have been united by Harald Fairhair, who once vowed not to cut his hair until he was king of all of Norway. Norway is, given its location, a surprisingly wealthy land with a large population of skilled seafarers. Skills you will have to utilize in order to keep ahead of your neighbors!

Denmark:
    It is the year %s1_year. Denmark, once a collection of petty kingdoms, has been united under Gorm the Old, and forged into a centralized state. Denmark now stands at a crossroads of sorts, with Viking influences and craftmanship from the North and Christian influences and statesmanship from the South. Take advantage of both for as long as you can, but eventually you will have to choose!

Scotland:
    It is the year %s1_year. You, %s3_leader, are the sole ruler of the %s2_civ people.

Morocco:
    It is the year %s1_year. You, %s3_leader, are the sole ruler of the %s2_civ people.

Aragon:

Sweden:
    It is 1523 AD, a couple years after the outrages of the Stockholm Bloodbath, commited by the Danish king Kristian the Tyrant. You, Gustav Vasa, have lead a rebellion since to restore independence, succesfully uniting Sweden under a hereditary monarchy.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Now it's time to claim your rightful place as ruler over the Baltic sea. Contested in this by mighty rivals, success can only be achieved by superior military and tactics. One way is to break the ties with Rome and build a great nation based on the true Lutheran faith!

Prussia:
    It is the year %s1_year. The Northern Crusades have been raging since 1193 and the Sword Brethren are making slow progress in Livonia. Konrad I of Masovia, a Polish Duke, has now invited the Teutonic Order to conquer and christianise the pagan Prussian tribe. The Teutonic Order has experience from defending both the Holy Land and the borderlands of Hungary, and is able to call on the finest knights of Europe. A speedy subjugation of Prussia might not only decide the war in the Crusader's favor, but provide the foundations of an empire.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The Swedish one is outdated obviously, for the old start date
    Here is the one from ++:
    For the last few hundred years, Sweden has in some ways been the least developed of the Scandinavian nations. Though several rulers at Uppsala have claimed kingship over Sweden few have had any power outside Uppland. Christianisation has been slow as well, pagan beliefs are still important in much of the country and southern Sweden was the target of a crusade less than a hundred years ago.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]This year things are to change. Eric the Survivor has managed to destroy his rivals in a bloody civil war and become the first ever Swedish King to be crowned by the Church. The separatists are rapidly losing power and the people of Uppland are about to lose their ancient privileges. The stage is set for the consolidation of Sweden.

5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

It is the year %s1_year. You, %s3_leader, are the sole ruler of the %s2_civ people. Your men still remember the shadows of the past. You must unite all the tribes and clans of Scotland to be the "last free kingdom". Gather allies as France on the Continent to survive the storms of centuries and bright forever.

Its your choice to pass the old walls of Hardian or stay behind it. Make proud the highlanders and show the world: Scotland, be foe or ally, solid as a rock!

what about this?

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Updated the dutch text:
    "It is the year 1581 AD. The Low Countries have been under control by the Spanish Empire for a long time. This is your chance though! The Plakkaat van Verlatinghe (Act of Abjuration) was signed on July 22th this year, absolving the oath of allegiance to Philip II of Spain, thus making your beloved Dutch nation officially independent. This could be the start of an empire that will become one of the wealthiest civilizations in the world!"

Also switched to CE instead of AD for non-christian civs

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

This is how I plan to include the scottish one:

"It is the year 960 AD. While you are the sole ruler over some loyal subjects, most Scottish men still remember the shadows of the past. Your goal is to unite all the tribes and clans of Scotland and establish the "last free kingdom".[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]It's your choice to pass the old walls of Hadrian or stay behind it, but it's probably wise to gather some mighty allies on the Continent. Whatever path you choose, it's clear to you though: your nation is destined to survive the storms of centuries to come, and bright forever. Make the Highlanders proud and show the world: Scotland, be foe or ally, solid as a rock!"

I'm not sure about the middle part
    Maybe it's a little too much?

8. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

I'd change the middle part to this :

"You can choose to pass the old walls of Hadrian or stay behind it, but it would be wise to gather some mighty allies on the Continent."

9. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Ok here is a crude version for morocco:

You Yaqub al-Mansur, are the third Almohad Caliph. You will follow the path of Idrisid's with Allah's help. The cities along on the coast lies before you. Waiting to fill them with arts and faith.

It's the year 1041 AD. It's time to revenge your father, those christian filth will pay dearly for killing such a great man. Crushing every faithless is your holy duty. But always be prepared, they never came alone. You not only have to deal with the Spanish or Portuguese, but the whole christian world will help them. Regardless the Black Guards are yours to command, to rule the realm and make your people and even God proud!

I hope you find useful some parts from it too. cheers

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sure, thanks :)
    Does anyone have something in mind for Aragon too?

11. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

i looked after it, but way small infos, but ill try something...

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

ok this is for aragon...

It's the year 1160 AD. You James I of Aragon are highest ranked ruler of the Crown! Your situation is tense, lots of Principalities, Duchies and Kingdoms have many interests in hundreds directions. You must decide where and how to expand the crown to make your people calm and happy. Surrounded by stronger and more united Kingdoms you must fight with sword and pen.

But the vacuum in the Mediterran is tempting. Small but rich kingdoms could be yours if you play your cards well. The key to victory is timing, but your hands are tied by the Aragonese Law.

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

This is what I currently have for Morocco and Aragon
    Both vaguely based on gilgames' initial suggestion, so thanks again :)
    Do you guys like it? Anything to add/change?

14. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Just some minor suggestions for flow:

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, I like those changes :)
    Updated both

EDIT: altough here I wanted to imply (sort of), that it is blessed because you emerged as a new ruler ;)
    "In the blessed year of 1164 AD, these lands finally got the possibility for a strong centralized rule."

16. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Maybe have "It is the blessed year of 1164 AD, and under your new rule these lands will finally have the possibility for strong, centralized rule." ?

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

OP updated, these are all the current texts.
    There is always room for improvement, so post them :)

18. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

You tempt me. :p
    Some other minor things:

Byzantium:
    France:
    Arabia:
    Cordoba:

19. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Absinte you are ahead of me! I wanted to suggest that i give u my dom text in hungarian and you can translate them better, but you already done it alone. :D

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, keep up with it :)

Glad you like it!