Civ V - Earth in time, scheduled release

tbear2520

Warlord
I know what your thinking! But hey I needed some attention here...

So I would like to propose that Civ V be centered around the most realistic Earth simulator yet. It would seem that every time a Civ comes out everybody tries to up the anni around a realistic Earth mod. We always create a huge Earth map and then adjust the speed to the longest game possible. Am I wrong here? No, I don't think so! (Oh and of course allow for random starting locations!)

So wouldn't Civ V - Earth in time, be a great strategy from a marketing/financial strategy for Firaxis!

I also feel that the game needs to be much slower and drawn out through the earlier stages. Thus allowing for early medieval style empire wars. Of course this will take some adjusting of the maintenance and corruption aspects.

If you agree with me lets countinue to bump this up enough that the developers and VP's get the word!!!

Tbear2520

Civ5 should be Civ4 with better graphics, "The High Council" and terraforming

then i could die a happy man :D

I would like some Global Warming consequences and advances to be shown in the late game... countries who have a sh!t load of corn or other ethanol producing substance wouldnt be so dependent on oil and receive better health benefits... However if the majority of the world is using eco-friendly technology and you have one arsehole nation still polluting then why not invade their ass es with your carbon-free bullets, lol :king:

I would like the ability of switch leaders anytime in the game. For example I started the game as Washington of America, but midway I get Lincoln and eventually at the end Roosevelt.

Why they don't have this as a basic game mode is beyond me. The excuse that I always hear is that the game isn't better by simply just making it more epic, which is a load of . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

I say, more is better in this case. Add the option in to play massive maps, with longer playing time, have a scale like now, but add 1 = turn 1 year, 1 turn = 1/2 half year, 1 turn = 1/4 year, 1 turn = 1 month, 1 turn = 1 fornight, 1 turn = 1 week and finally 1 turn = 1 day. The way production would have to be fiddled with a bit. The early game just flys by way too fast.

I want more technologies and a better structured tech tree. Instead of the tree being 6 technologies wide, make it 10 or 12. Then the decisions about which technologies to get become even more important.

The Map, I want an earth map, with the correct starting positionsof all the civilizations that are avaliable, with the option to have random starting places. I want it massive. 400 x 500 or something. It shouldnt be so easy to circumnavigate the globe in such a short time. Scaled movement would need to be sorted out. The bigger the stack the slower it moves.

Civilizations, I think there is getting to be the perfect number as it is. I would add in maybe 5 or 6 more and then you wouldnt need anymore. I would add in the inuits, aboriginals, maoris and tongans, samoans and fijians, then the world is full.

make the civilizations more unique. with more unique buildings and units. This really adds more flavour to the game. If units had different stats, different appearance etc. More unique buidlings, even things as simple as different appearance would add to the game.

More additions to the leader's attributes, have more positive attributes and negative ones. Make choosing a leader not so simple. Have the ability to make a custom leader.

I want tactical combat. I know they don't want to put it in. But it would really improve the game. I know I would certainly plan my wars alot better. I would feel alot better pulling off a win against the odds, then winning by the flip of a coin.

I want barbarian tribes to be able to grow into independent civilizations. Once a barbarian city reaches a certain population level it becomes a city state and when they acquire another city they are a fully fledged civilization. Have the ability to fund, provide resources or give them troops while the barbarian city states while they attack an enemy. Hire mercenaries from them to fight with you.

I have many other ideas, but not often are my ideas ever listened to.

I would like the ability of switch leaders anytime in the game. For example I started the game as Washington of America, but midway I get Lincoln and eventually at the end Roosevelt.

Thats a cool idea.

Make each Civ and each leader really unique so playing style really depends on playing to their strengths and countering their weakness'. Give them lots of positive and negative traits. Give civs several unique buildings, unique weapons, bonus'/restrictions for certain civics, unique corporations for a few (McDonald's for US anyone?). Also do away with the unit system. Instead make it unit types (or even armies with unit types in them). They will be broad like mobile (sub categories cavalry, armor, gunships), artillary (siege, field), infantry, air and sea. instead of researching "macemen" you research weapons to improve field troops. So you research maces, plate mail and so forth. Corporations can provide access to unique weapons/commodities too which could make for interesting alliances (you don't get any f16s if you arent allied with the civ with Lockheed Martin). Unique national wonders? cmon how crazy can we blow this up to be huh?

Depending on how you played the game your civ could acquire various traits for better or worse and your people acquire tendencies that hard to undo. This could restrict access to certain civics unlock others early etc. You could get bonus xp in every city for going to war a lot, reduce war weariness in a "military society" or increase it in a peaceful society. You could even affect which techs are available to research based on play style for your civ.

For an example civ with unique abilities weapons etc. The Germans would get really big bonus' in research and production, the worst diplomacy bonus in game (to the point everyone hates your evil ass') and experience high unhappiness in conquered cities while receiving very low war weariness. They'd a slew of great unique weapons (mg42, panther, tiger, rheinmetal 88, 120, pzh 2000 etc) and the unique corps bayer (aspirin), rheinmetal (big guns) etc. You get the picture. make em mean hard to kill . .. .. .. .. .. .. .s that are worse than genghis on deity.

You don't even have to try and balance the civs- base their abilities on historical success. Make it harder to win as a Zulu or Aztecs than it is with England/Germany/US (though this would never ever happen, its probably racist at some level)

All of this is of little importance. The only question of real consequence regarding Civ V is this:

SHOULD POLAND BE IN CIV V???????????????

the real question is; talk of civ v is pointless when civ iv needs to be patched. it's the pinheaded dreamers in this thread that need to be demanding better game support from firaxis before handing cash over for a underdeveloped and buggy civ v that dissapoints.

also, all hte suggestions are like some stupid comic book character progression.
more muscles, bigger muscles, more defined muscles, muscles that didnt exist before...
in this case muscles are game play features and mechanics that subvert any meaningful experience you can have because you're so lost in the expansion of units, time units, corporations, etc etc

i swear to god, all you civ v fanboys should start a band that does 80's hair metal covers and call the band MORE IS MORE! because thats obviously the tune you are playing.

So wouldn't Civ V - Earth in time, be a great strategy from a marketing/financial strategy for Firaxis!

No. This strategy would cater solely to the hardcore Civ fans, and close out the casual players. Firaxis has to fulfill the needs and wishes of both camps to make Civ V a success. The easiest way to do this is to make the standard game appealing for the casual player, and offer the hardcore fans some gameplay options (and modability) to change the game the way they like. This trend started with Civ IV (the standard game speed is significantly faster in Civ IV than in all other incarnations of Civ) and will likely be continued in Civ V. As long as we *do* have the options to make the game longer and more epic, that's okay with me.

I say, more is better in this case. Add the option in to play massive maps, with longer playing time, have a scale like now, but add 1 = turn 1 year, 1 turn = 1/2 half year, 1 turn = 1/4 year, 1 turn = 1 month, 1 turn = 1 fornight, 1 turn = 1 week and finally 1 turn = 1 day. The way production would have to be fiddled with a bit. The early game just flys by way too fast.

I want more technologies and a better structured tech tree. Instead of the tree being 6 technologies wide, make it 10 or 12. Then the decisions about which technologies to get become even more important.

The Map, I want an earth map, with the correct starting positionsof all the civilizations that are avaliable, with the option to have random starting places. I want it massive. 400 x 500 or something. It shouldnt be so easy to circumnavigate the globe in such a short time. Scaled movement would need to be sorted out. The bigger the stack the slower it moves.

Civilizations, I think there is getting to be the perfect number as it is. I would add in maybe 5 or 6 more and then you wouldnt need anymore. I would add in the inuits, aboriginals, maoris and tongans, samoans and fijians, then the world is full.

whoa :crazyeye:

a day per turn? let me get my calculator...

2.2 million turns in a game (with same 4000bc->2050ad)

Lets think about this for a minute shall we?

Training say a new Legion would take about what? a year? 365 turns? You want a massive world but beyond adding a few minor tribes, no new civs, so I suppose you'd have to play some 20,000 turns (50 years) before first contact with a neighbour?

make the civilizations more unique. with more unique buildings and units. This really adds more flavour to the game. If units had different stats, different appearance etc.

This would be nice

I have many other ideas, but not often are my ideas ever listened to.

Because they're a bit mad?

TBH It sounds like the game you want isn't Civ? Maybe the total war series? (for tactical combat) or Europa Universalis?

Why they don't have this as a basic game mode is beyond me. The excuse that I always hear is that the game isn't better by simply just making it more epic, which is a load of . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

Personally I like this idea... I know the math but doesn't game play speed up slowely over time. Drawing out the begining of a game allows for better appreciation of the current game. Granted it would piss me off to spend hours or days expanding my empire only to find out my first contact was with a tank and my archers just got ran over. So obviously a well balaced approach is needed.

No. This strategy would cater solely to the hardcore Civ fans, and close out the casual players. Firaxis has to fulfill the needs and wishes of both camps to make Civ V a success. The easiest way to do this is to make the standard game appealing for the casual player, and offer the hardcore fans some gameplay options (and modability) to change the game the way they like. This trend started with Civ IV (the standard game speed is significantly faster in Civ IV than in all other incarnations of Civ) and will likely be continued in Civ V. As long as we *do* have the options to make the game longer and more epic, that's okay with me.

My friend, I think you under estimate the bottom line here. Civ fans are hardcore. No other game out there has fans along these lines. Who else mods there games like Civ? NWN(I don't think so!) I mean seriously has any of the civ games not sold millions?

With a game play as I outlined, the mod'ing ability would be huge. Just mod'ing alone could pull in millions more. You could add all the usual mod's, WWI, WWII, Europe, Vietnam and the others... The key though would be to focus the game towards Earth and realism!

My friend, I think you under estimate the bottom line here. Civ fans are hardcore.
I'm a hardcore Civ fan myself, but I don't think I'm underestimating anything, on the contrary. Fans of any game tend to overestimate their impact a lot, when in fact they make up only a tiny fraction of all customers. A game that would solely cater to the fans would not sell as well as one that catered to casual players also. The reduced revenue would then limit the options for further development of the series. And this is why I, although I would like to *play* a Civ game that is aimed at the hardcore fans, I wouldn't recommend Firaxis to take this route, because it will lead to less good games in the long run.

No other game out there has fans along these lines. Who else mods there games like Civ? NWN(I don't think so!)
Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm, amd the Civ4 fan community is definitely amazing. But your assumption that this is the only community of its kind appears to be based on a lack of knowledge about other games.

TES3: Morrowind, for example, has about 15,000 mods in existence, new ones are created as I type this, five years after release. TES4: Oblivion has several thousand mods as well.

GalCiv has a very active community which is not only modding the game, but also beta-testing new patches and developing game features together with the devs.

And, frankly, if you describe the Civ community as hardcore, then I already know that you never met a Fallout fan ;)

With a game play as I outlined, the mod'ing ability would be huge. Just mod'ing alone could pull in millions more. You could add all the usual mod's, WWI, WWII, Europe, Vietnam and the others... The key though would be to focus the game towards Earth and realism!

Actually, that is something that not even the hardcore Civ fans are in agreement with each other. There's a poll active right now where a rather large majority says they value gameplay over realism. So not even the hardcore fans (that you want to address) seem to value realism as much as you do.

I'm a hardcore Civ fan myself, but I don't think I'm underestimating anything, on the contrary. Fans of any game tend to overestimate their impact a lot, when in fact they make up only a tiny fraction of all customers. A game that would solely cater to the fans would not sell as well as one that catered to casual players also. The reduced revenue would then limit the options for further development of the series. And this is why I, although I would like to *play* a Civ game that is aimed at the hardcore fans, I wouldn't recommend Firaxis to take this route, because it will lead to less good games in the long run.

Well, I appreciate your enthusiasm, amd the Civ4 fan community is definitely amazing. But your assumption that this is the only community of its kind appears to be based on a lack of knowledge about other games.

TES3: Morrowind, for example, has about 15,000 mods in existence, new ones are created as I type this, five years after release. TES4: Oblivion has several thousand mods as well.

GalCiv has a very active community which is not only modding the game, but also beta-testing new patches and developing game features together with the devs.

And, frankly, if you describe the Civ community as hardcore, then I already know that you never met a Fallout fan ;)

Actually, that is something that not even the hardcore Civ fans are in agreement with each other. There's a poll active right now where a rather large majority says they value gameplay over realism. So not even the hardcore fans (that you want to address) seem to value realism as much as you do.

I have to agree with what you say. But I would just like to see a more complex game as an option. Keep the great civ we all know and love, but give more to the more hardcore fans. Leave it pick up and play, but allow the more hardcore fans to make the game more complex according to their needs.

Or maybe its just too much work to make some 10,000 people happy.

I would like to see a "fog of technology" where you wouldn't know exactly where your tech tree would lead you. Thanks to my brother for naming it. It would make the tech research game a little more interesting. It could be randomized a bit to keep you from knowing where it would lead you from game to game.

Top Bottom