Civ V GaK Immortal Byza game needs tips

Toiletman

Chieftain
It has been a very long time since my last post, but the release of Gods and Kings has revived my old Civ addiction. I've been getting wins at emperor lately and just played through a very interesting immortal game that feels like I'm actually surviving it.

However, at the moment I do not see a viable strategy to win it, and this is where I'd like your advice. The same goes for a little diplomatic advice with regards to arriving at the current situation I am at:

I started out as Byzantium in the middle of a landmass (al random) this triggered me to try to leverage its UU: the Cataphract. The same goes for Theodora's trait of having an extra belief in her religion.

Early game was pretty ok, teched up, nice growth, lots of horses, so built up an army of cataphracts and archers. Askia is nearby, as well as Sweden. The map is caved in two by a large mountainrange, which happily protects me from Monty.

Having Askia nearby led me to choose him as a first target, especially as he was plomping cities down quite near to me. Apparently the other civs didn't like him either, so just before I was ready to attack William, Maria Theresa and Gustavus asked me to attack him. I asked for 10 turns, but in reality I DoW'ed when Askia asked me if I was at his border to kill him the next turn.
Having taken two of his 4 cities, with Gustavus taking the 3rd I sued for peace after a short war. The turn after peace was made the AI players came back to me after their 10 turns to DoW on Askia. I declined this because I wasnt sure if this would actually work and also because I really needed time to rebuild.
In the interbellum I was finally able to found a religion (pfew!) which proved to be the only religion on my side of the mountains. It took quite a bit of work to spread it out into my cities, but it now seems to be spreading on its own to the other cities and CS's on my side of the mountain.

Meanwhile however, the other civs were plotting against me: I received large diplo penalties for not DoW'ing on Askia, stacked with one for wandering beside a border and then DoW'ing. This led the other civs to dogpile on me: William, Gustavson, Monty and Maria Theresa all DoW'ed on me and I thought this game was finished.
Luckily enough it turned out to be quite the other way: the mountain range protected me from Maria and Monty, letting only an occasional unit through, which was easily dealt with. William only used warriors (even in his last wave of attacks), so the only problem was Gustavson, who is about a tech level above me.
Due to my large amount upgraded range units and GG's I was able to take 2 cities from him early on (one crab tundra city and the city he stole from Askia). This later turned into a war of attrition with me slowly taking one of his cities by using citadels, in the end leading to the current standoff you see above.

I am very interested into your take on my situation. This is one of the first promising Immortal games I play, as well as having been a very interesting one up till now: barely hanging on. What can I do better? Where would you go from here? Any other tips?

Please find the saved game attached, your advice is very welcome.

PS: civ V crashes when I try to take screenshots with F12, but I found the above in my ss folder.

Attachments

• Theodora_0217 AD-1535.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Top Bottom