Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet I

I got t155 win with the relics strategy. Looks kind of broken with the huge tourism output from relics.

I had a great starting location with a military CS just close by that helped me build settlers. Got Divine right on t98 and wonder on t110. Had some trouble making my Apostles die, maybe it would be good with more religous enemies?

No Kandy in my game, what does Kandy do?
Kandy's unique bonus is that it generates and gives you a relic each time you discover a Natural Wonder.

Man Ive been trying this for a while now and by turn 150 I can't seem to get more than about 10-20 tourism... whats the trick to this?

Has anybody tried war strategy? Just capture every city on the map except the one small capital. Then you will need only a few tourists.

Last edited:
Won on turn 189 on a what I think is quite a good map. I might replay it. My biggest problem was that I could not place the relics anywhere i.e. I could get more relics with martyrs but 4 cities were already full. If I replay I will build 6 cities.

Nice win :goodjob:

Just to clarify, for HoF games, you can only play the same map once. If you replay this map, the game can't be considered for the Gauntlet (but of course you can replay it to refine your strategy for yourself). If you want to have another attempt at the Gauntlet, needs to be a new map.

Has anybody tried war strategy? Just capture every city on the map except the on small capital. Then you will need only a few tourists.

Ssshhhh, that was going to be my strategy....

Given it is a Continents map, could you do this quickly enough to compete?

Man So I have no Idea how you guys are doing this sub 150 turns. I restarted about half a dozen times until I got a map with Kandy... got 2 relics before 100 turns had almost 100 tourism and still only had 3/31 by turn 150...

I was trying а war strategy and accidently won with domination at 1000AD.
Tourists are very low with wars...

Last edited:
Ugh! Very isolated start with higher than usual barb trouble that meant a late start on serious scouting, at turn 70 and seriously wondering if I somehow have the continent to myself. I'd be thrilled if the goal here was a science victory, but...

With the apostle-martyr-triplerelicboost strategy culture finish time is a bit luck dependant, but I think it may be an actual skill challenge on harder difficulties. Now luck factor is higher, and it's because the main problem is, that on Prince, AI seems very inconsistent with its missionary/apostle production. I only got a t240 win, however got my martyr apostles up around t130-140. I mean I couldn't actually beat the t153 with that, but spending like 100 turns on trying to religionkill them still seems very long (taking in count that it could've happen instantly), and as I read many ppl had the same issue. We did the hard part actually OK, then we couldn't do the easy one becuse AI wasn't spamming the religios units as it should've :D

Still it's a fun gauntlet if we consider this is only a beta and I'm still happy with it, we are just having our first experiences with the game, so prbly, noone would've seen in forward the big luck factor in this one.

First Civ6 game ever, and first HOF game submission ever. An embarrassing T307 finish, but I take pride in learning a lot about how to go about a cultural victory. Countless lessons learned and hard mistakes, but hey - maybe I'll give another submission a go here in the future. No Kandy though, which seems to play a huge factor.

Attachments

• HOF - Beta Gauntlet 1 - Last.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • HOF - Beta Gauntlet 1 - Start.Civ6Save
    243.7 KB · Views: 93
I only got a t240 win

Well done :goodjob:

First Civ6 game ever, and first HOF game submission ever. An embarrassing T307 finish, but I take pride in learning a lot about how to go about a cultural victory. Countless lessons learned and hard mistakes, but hey - maybe I'll give another submission a go here in the future.

Well done as well :goodjob:

It is all about learning the game here. :)

Ugh! Very isolated start with higher than usual barb trouble that meant a late start on serious scouting, at turn 70 and seriously wondering if I somehow have the continent to myself. I'd be thrilled if the goal here was a science victory, but...

I've got the opposite problem in my game. I have 3 opponents on my small crowded continent and the other 2 are on the larger continent with plenty of space to roam.

The relic strategy is very creative, and certainly effective. But does anyone else feel like its a bit cheesey? Like you can use that strategy with any of the civs.

I have tried 5 Gandhi's as opponents. Very good, no war, a lot of religious wars.

Problem is to get enough space for relics (5+ cities needed) and to build Mont St Miche fast enough.

It's hard before turn 160, i wonder how people did it.

Btw, you can get 5 Gandhi's as opponents manually :)

I have tried 5 Gandhi's as opponents.

Sorry, saw this yesterday but didn't have a chance to respond then and subsequently forgot :blush:

Can only use each opponent once. From the Civ V HOF rules

Civ V HOF Rules said:
You may select who your opponents are. The selection must not include any leader multiple times, nor can you choose an AI leader identical to the one you're playing.

Thought I'd give it another shot and I wanted to try a different strategy this time, but... I got a very good map with a relic goody hut, Kandy and 2 AIs on my continent. Won on turn 116 without ever building Mont St Michel. Delayed exploration + normal apostle spam did the trick. Picked Wats as one of the religious beliefs for a bit of a science boost, I think they sped up Cartography by 3-4 turns.

Kandy is OP and this seems like a pretty awkward strategy on Prince without it, the AIs just don't generate enough faith. I'd imagine Emperor is the sweet spot for it?

Top Bottom