1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet I

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Cyrano1410

Cyrano1410 Chieftain

Yay redeemed, that's great theory :) with kandy and relic goody hut, you will break the record.
    (though it cannot win consistently, it's very RNG dependent)

For leaders, I too restarted with low culture-yielding civs. So: Catherine de Medicis, Saladin, Peter... are definitely the worst picks!

I'm thinking, if you get an early goody hut relic, it might be worthwhile to get Stonehenge so as to pick the triple tourism belief as early as possible. In my current game, the AI still yields around 4 culture per turn on turn 80, so with a T5 relic and T20 religion you might get an incredibly early win.

2. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

I got fed up with waiting on missionaries and went the classic way neglecting religions -- didn't even build too many wonders. I focused on science and culture with a wide empire.
    T227 finish, Made plenty of mistakes, I'm pretty sure one can go well below T200. It's not as fast as the candied relics obviously, but definitely more reliable.
    Is there a way to actually submit the game at the present or shall I just make a writeup?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. Cyrano1410

Cyrano1410 Chieftain

Two mistakes that I made that forfeit me the record:
    • you don't get the triple tourism from relics if you haven't propagated your religion to your Capital City (so I made 8 tourism instead of 24 for over 50 turns)
    • you don't get the 8 tourism from having founded a religion if you have no Holy Site in your Holy City (which I hadn't because Stonehenge)
    Basically that's what I missed on: 24 tourism +25% from open borders +25% from trade routes = 36 tourism that I didn't get for over 50 turns.

I still think you can get very fast win with fast relic and religion.

4. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Frustrating. I had all the pieces (early relic from a hut, Kandy & Yerevan, and Apostles) but it just didn't come together right. All the religions were on the other continent. Just could not get there in time.

Gave up T174 after trying without success to get a martyr. (How do you get them to fight?) Also had a GA and a GW hanging around with nothing to do.

5. Xger

Xger Prince

I'm unaware of any special way to get fights other than slamming into AI units.

6. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

It helps somewhat if you clear barb camps around them. And they should not be at war with anybody. Otherwise they might not prioritize religious units.

7. Cyrano1410

Cyrano1410 Chieftain

I still don't really understand how Tourists are calculated. I thought it was absolute tourism (offense) vs absolute culture (defense) but after yielding way more tourism than the AI had culture for a long period of time, I realize I'm missing something.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I did some digging. Only one dude on Reddit seems to have something, user "paschep".
    This thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/59d1fy/does_anyone_fully_understand_the_math_behind_the/

Apparently you generate one tourist for every 1500 tourism points you scored in a foreign civ. I will test that.

8. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

T127 Kandy-Relic CV
    Only one AI on main continent (Arabia)
    Found a relic in a tribal village
    Found Kandy on the far side of my continent (after finding the two NW on my continent, got 2 relics from NW later on)
    Found out the other continent was linked by a one shallow water-tile really late, but still before researching cartography

Spoiler :

9. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

10. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Under the format of this gauntlet (Small map, standard speed, 5 AIs), you get 1 foreign tourist per 900 "accumulated tourism" per civilization.

Cyrano1410 likes this.
  11. Cyrano1410

Cyrano1410 Chieftain

Yes, exactly. I was running sims on Excel and that's the figure I came up with.
    It's probable that the number varies depending on map size/speed/etc.

12. mayhemster

mayhemster Chieftain

Done a better game here with a Kandy and Yerevan start although still room for improvement - T144

Attached Files:

Cyrano1410 likes this.
  13. IgrOK[SU]

IgrOK[SU] Player

Ok, here is my turn 133 victory.

Kandy near me, but also very aggressive Egypt. All other nations were on another continent.

Quite a problem was getting enough slots for relics...

Attached Files:

14. redeemed371240

redeemed371240 Chieftain

I tried out my strategy focusing on trade routes and ignoring apostles, cartography, and even Kandy (It wasn't on the map). With the 25 percent trade route and open borders bonuses, I was generating 61 tourism per turn on turn 70 with Germany possessing the highest domestic tourism at 10. It looked like it was going to work since I was three turns away from getting three more tourists from my neighbors, but then England declared a surprise war on me turn 99 and I was woefully unprepared. She used to be my declared friend, but converting Protestant London to Catholicism made her mad! I won't be doing that again, especially since all of her other cities were following Catholicism. I wouldn't have suffered a different religion debuff even if London stayed Protestant.

She stormed down with seven chariots and a spearman against my lone spearmen garrisoned in Madrid. I was out of gold and my two cities were starving for housing and amenities. It looks like there's no hope!

I'll try again with vadalaz's strategy later this month. The trade route strategy forces you to neglect some necessary mechanics like housing and amenities in hopes of reaching turn 116 in time. However, I'm going to participate in the first Civ VI GOTM first :)

15. IgrOK[SU]

IgrOK[SU] Player

With what? Wonders? Great Works?

16. redeemed371240

redeemed371240 Chieftain

IgrOK[SU], I had 24 tourism from my one tribal village relic, 8 from founding Catholicism at a holy site, and 3 each from Stonehenge, Pyramids, and the Hanging Gardens. My base tourism was 41 and after adding an additional 50 percent from trade routes and open borders with each civilization, I was generating 61 tourism.

17. mayhemster

mayhemster Chieftain

T117. Had a close Kandy and a distant Verevan although I never managed to get any relics from Apostles. I only got 3 relics all game - 1 from a neighbour, 2 from NW. This time I concentrated on maximising the tourism bonus through trade routes and open borders and this seems to be better than going all out from apostles. Gilgamesh decided to DOW me near the end but it didn't affect my finish date.

Having tile yields turned on is a great way to scout natural wonders without popping them until you have a temple :)

EDIT: If I had stuck to just 2 temples instead of the 4 I built then I think I could have got trade routes to all 5 civs much faster. I've been pretty much beelining Cartography in all my games so if there were a couple of settlers ready along with 5-6 scouts and spare traders then this could be done really quickly on just 3 relics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Cyrano1410 likes this.
  18. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Well at least I won! T241.

Think you guys are playing a different game to me. :)

Abandoned a couple of games as I got declared on and munched.

Started a new game, no Kandy or Yerevan in the game, starting position and area wasn't great, of course only noticed it late in the game when I was trying to boost tourism by trading and noticed I had 1 luxury resource between my 7 cities :mad: :crazyeye:. Really noticing the difference between normal starting position and resources compared to legendary and abundant (which I played on my SP games so far), hope everyone is remembering to use these :mischief:.

Got plenty of relics though after MSM even ran out of places to put them, plenty of wonders and great works but still took ages to win. Gandhi was the source of all my martyrs but also had plenty of tourists so raised the bar higher for me to win.

Game was fun though, might give it another go.

Attached Files:

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Is there a list of which buildings/wonders/etc give slots for which type of great works? The civilopedia is not very helpful.

Also, methods for increasing foreign tourism? Anything besides trade routes and open borders? Does it matter the number of trade routes? And open borders would be my borders open to the other civ, right? Does it matter if they grant me open borders?

Sorry for the total newb questions, I haven't won a cultural victory since civ III....

20. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Agreed and I don't know of one. I popped a Great Musician but couldn't find what buildings to use him in...

Open Borders (ie the treaty with them), trade routes and trade agreements give positive modifiers, don't think the number of trade routes matters.

Different religions and governments and the Enlightenment civic give negative modifiers.

Not sure if there is anything else.