Civ VI - Beta Gauntlet V

Cultural Victory turn 185 score 660

125/106 tourists 1264 tourism

I always seem to forget to save turn 1 without fail. I get a few turns into the map and go 'wow this one looks promising better save it... dammit was meant to do that at the start'.

Choose high seas, rest standard. Seems like if you plan to war its the best way to role.

Went with India, Egypt, Japan, England, Spain, Norway and France.

Murdered Japan and Egypt early along with Carthage and Jakarta. had every city except Jakarta and a super late barb settler by around turn 70

Was on friendly terms with everyone but India for most of the game once I found them, India witnessed my genocide so obviously detested me the whole time. Spain denounced me 20 odd turns to the end due to government differences, but that wasn't the end of the world.

achieved almost all my early expansion with 5-6 archers (one died fairly quickly) and 1 warrior while adding 4 chariots and 1 more warrior to the mix during the wars.

finished game with 21 cities.

captured pyramids from Egypt in time for the major builder wave which was fortunate,
build Colosseum reaching 7 cities, build Petra on an oasis city with a tone of dessert hills, build Cristo Redentor late thanks to a GE.

Got the last religion and went for work ethic and Gurdwara, not ideal but wasn't a lot of stuff left and most my faith was already dedicated to buying city-centre buildings as I was early uncontested suzerain of Vallentta.

Was mostly focused on getting the archeologists out but of-course this usually has the side effect of gaining a lot of writers and musicians after a while too. managed to get a religious themed art museum quite early too, which was stupidly lucky. also managed to build two parks and a hand full of resorts to boost the numbers.

Attachments

• SALADIN 185 1240 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 278
  • SALADIN 5 3840 BC.Civ6Save
    685.3 KB · Views: 224
I suspect that if you pick all non culture civs and are willing to restart over an over to get a good start combined with the 2 'culture rush' religious CS near, you could still get a stupidly fast time on emperor. In my game everyone but France wasn't exactly flying away on culture defense like what seems to happen on the next couple of difficulty levels.
Really doesn't interest me to try though, only if I was lucky enough for it to happen on the first or second try.

Best I've done is 160 CV (161? if it's turn after victory), and this time I'm pretty sure I'm done. I decided to give this a little more effort since I find CV to be the most entertaining victory condition because balancing science and culture tech trees can be so challenging. It's really easy to overshoot science without enough culture and vice versa.

At this point I'm convinced the best way to do this is just to neglect campuses altogether. With only mamluks on emperor, cities are conquerable even at turn 160, and conquest's really where all the science you need comes from. Lucked out with having both Valetta and Seoul in the same game. Also built Zimbabwe (T121), though it wasn't as helpful as I would have liked since I finished so soon after.

Edit: added 161 (turn after video) save

Attachments

• Saladin start.Civ6Save
    338.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Saladin CV 160.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 216
  • CV160Saladin.png
    CV160Saladin.png
    4 MB · Views: 256
  • Saladin CV 161.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 247
Last edited:
T153 (after video) CV

I left everything on default and picked Germany, Spain, Norway, China, France, Japan and England as these civs don´t have any strong early game mechanics.

My general gameplan was to war all the time vs as many of my opponents as possible at the same time to keep their domestic tourism as low as possible. I left one city from each of them to gain their tourists and established traderoutes towards those cities. I had to defeat France because she already ran away with culture. Sadly Harald also killed Philipp, so i only had 5 sources for tourism. I used 2 medieval generals with crossbows/mameluks.

In the meantime i established CD`s and TD`s in most of my cities to earn a lot of money and to later buy archgeologists. I also finished Zimbabwe on t133, which was very qustionable becauce i only had 5 bonus resources and my capital was a rather weak one.
The AI´s didn´t build any campuses but two, Stockholm and Seoul were the only scientific CS and i only liberated them by t ~130 from Norway, so my science output was incedibly low and i did not even try to reach Computers.

To keep amenities at bay i founded the +1 amenity Religion and used the equivalent policy card, also i built a t110 Colloseum, though i could only reach 4 cities, including my capital to increase gold output. I stopped growing some cities at 4 as i only wanted 2 districts anyway.

Sadly i can not provide the t1 save. The starting area was so weak that i thought about quiting immediatly, only after i captured 2 settlers very early on i decided to play along.

Attachments

• 20170510041954_1.jpg
    20170510041954_1.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 251
  • SALADIN 153CV gauntlet.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Finally got to play this one... I've got a lot of figuring out to do!
Turn 233

Attachments

• SALADIN 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    353.9 KB · Views: 218
  • SALADIN 233 1610 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
Gave this another try and shaved almost 70 turns off my previous attempt. Turn 165.

I went with high seas and it generated a map that wasn't conducive to multilateral warmongering until the tourism marker had gotten into the 40's. I started on the bottom tip of a capital C shaped pangea. There were a bunch of chokepoints which caused two problems. The first being movement.... I didn't go for any generals so archers/crossbows were sloooooooooow. The second problem was approaching a city across a land bridge of hills... I lost most of my second army (chariots to be upgraded). Whether high seas caused the chokepoints I don't know for certain, but if I get another attempt at this gauntlet I won't be using it.

My start was pretty decent. Oasis under the influence of Uluru + 2 cultural city states that i was the first to meet. I really miss the ability to regenerate maps.... spices spices spices please.

I had a lot of trouble getting commercial districts up and running. I only had 10ish trade routes. I think maybe I was too conservative on chopping out workers to chop out more woods. I also kept my populations low (7 or less) on all of my cities until late which might have effected how fast I could have added commercial districts.

Attachments

• SALADIN 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    352.5 KB · Views: 210
  • SALADIN 165 1040 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 197
I finished another game with an interesting result. With no culture city states in the game, I finished at turn 165. I warred almost non-stop which kept all of the other civs small and uncultured. My takeaway from this game is that warring is at least as important, if not more important, than multiple culture city states.

Top Bottom