[NFP] Civ VI Design Poll

Please, answer the Google Form linked below. It contains some fairly subjective questions about Civ VI's designs. I'm curious to hear what everyone's answers are.

https://forms.gle/EESAwUhznpJvN3wt9

(The reason I'm not doing this as a forum-based poll is because those don't allow for multiple questions)

Oh, sweet butter biscuits, this is so hard. Ahhhh...

For best design I said Vietnam. For worst design I said Babylon. Maybe there is some NFP recency bias, but I feel good about those selections.
Ditto. The NFP Civilizations are pretty hit and miss for me.

Very Good: Ethiopia, Vietnam, Maya
Good: Byzantium, Gaul
Needs work: Gran Colombia
Why: Babylon

With so many colors plus some color blindness, I sadly cannot read the pie charts.

Sorry about that :( As far as I know, that's a feature of Google Forms I cannot change, but I will look into it. Also, I believe that hovering over one section of the pie chart with your cursor will show you the name of that section. Hopefully you can read them that way.

Will Firaxis see the results of this poll?

I wish that were the case, but it isn't. I was mostly just collecting the info out of curiosity. At the end of the month, I'll stop accepting responses and make a post here about the results, which means they may be able to see it, if we're lucky :mischief:

I was disappointed to see a lack of Gaul fans. The New Frontier Pass has been very inconsistent with how good the civilizations are, so I am hoping they design Portugal well. Byzantium is my least favorite so far since it has a lot of wasted potential, followed by Babylon which i am still conflicted about, though I was still surprised to see not that many people liked it relatively speaking as a large portion of the community seemed to react positively to it. I despite the leader design and the Eurekas are very gimmicky. Gran Colombia might be my 3rd least favorite for the NFP followed by the Maya due to their very wonky start conditions

The final update with Portugal will make or break the NFP for me

Fave Civ: Inca (Honorable mentions: Aztecs, Scotland, Egypt, Sweden, Canada ( :lol: ), Gaul)
Best Designed: Maori (Honorable mentions: Sweden, Aztecs, Japan, Ethiopia, Australia, Vietnam, Gaul)
Worst Designed: Russia (Dishonorable mentions: England, Khmer, Korea, Babylon, Spain)

Inca were my fave civ in 5 alongside Carthage, and since Civ6's Inca's are identical, I'll have to go with them. The Aztecs were the best Civ in the base game, Scotland is a fun district puzzle to maximize happiness that I quite enjoy making them my fave out of R&F. GS gave Egypt immunity to floods which is a huge QoL boon. Gaul is an interesting take on a district-averse culture and industry civ, and ofc they vicariously represent my home country. Canada, while not a Civ I would have chosen, has very fun mechanics because of the Surprise War immunity and guaranteed GOOD holy sites with Dance of the Aurora. No one is allowed to say a bad word against Kristina.

Maori stand out as the best designed Civ across all 50+ we have. Excellent animation on the leader model, inspired abilities, completely unique playstyle, strong but not too strong. Japan and Aztecs are the most well-rounded civs in vanilla. In NFP, I'd say Ethiopia, Vietnam and Gaul have some amazing synergies. Cree is the best designed Civ in R&F thanks to their interesting and meaningful trade bonuses, something other trade civs sorely lack (and ofc, Poundmaker's excellent leader model). No one is allowed to say a bad word against Kristina.

Russia is the worst because the Lavra is broken, and their other abilities are virtually non-existent. England required too many redesigns and is just a hot mess with either leader. Babylon and Korea are just lazily designed, just as one may expect from Science Civs. Khmer and Spain are laughing stocks.

Last edited:
I was disappointed to see a lack of Gaul fans. The New Frontier Pass has been very inconsistent with how good the civilizations are, so I am hoping they design Portugal well. Byzantium is my least favorite so far since it has a lot of wasted potential, followed by Babylon which i am still conflicted about, though I was still surprised to see not that many people liked it relatively speaking as a large portion of the community seemed to react positively to it. I despite the leader design and the Eurekas are very gimmicky. Gran Colombia might be my 3rd least favorite for the NFP followed by the Maya due to their very wonky start conditions

The final update with Portugal will make or break the NFP for me
I'm generally pretty fond of the NFP all things considered.

Maya: I think the Civ is pretty underpowered and there's a lot of little things that make them frustrating to play, even if their bonuses were good. But the core idea behind the Maya I really like, and I wish there were more Civs that broke the mold like they did. If they had a few quality of life improvements, not even necessarily buffs, I'd say they're one of the better designed Civs in the game. A Civ doesn't have to be crazy overpowered to be well-designed (post-rework Norway is a great example of this).

Gran Colombia: I feel weird about this Civ because they're very fun to play, but at the same time they feel somewhat uninspired. They're mostly carried by the movement bonus, which while very fun to break the game with, it's also pretty bland when you take a step back from it.

Ethiopia: Everything about this Civ intersects with each other in a meaningful way, meaning from a design perspective this Civ is very well-thought-out. That being said, I personally find them boring to play, but that's just personal taste speaking.

Byzantium: Sort of a one-trick pony (or maybe two-trick pony that uses the same strategy), but that one trick is very fun. I don't see myself revisiting Byzantium that often, but the game I had with them was quite enjoyable.

Gaul: I really do love this design, as it takes a lot of the conventions you'd expect from a Civ and flip them on their heads. They're uniquely strong in a really generalist way, meaning just about any playstyle can work for them. One of the best designs in the pass, and really in the game.

Babylon: I love how stupid this Civ is. They pretty much break the game, which while makes for a breeze of a game, it also gives you a unique gameplay experience you can't find anywhere else. That said, the early game for Babylon is a drag, which I'm not as fond of. I have a love/hate relationship with Hammurabi.

Vietnam: Definitely one of the more inspired Civs in the pass, along with the Maya and Gaul. I really like how their ability interacts with the environment, which is one of the main draws of Civ VI in general--making the most out of your tiles. Playing a cultural turtle is fun, and they're a better expression of that than the Mapuche I feel. The conversion of the Encampment into a district that also helps you in a Culture Victory is pretty unique too. I like them a lot.

Kublai Khan: On one hand, I do like how the ability plays off the different uniques of China and Mongolia in different ways; it's a better expression of the multi-Civ leader than Eleanor is, in my opinion. On the other hand, Kublai sort of has Simon Bolivar syndrome: the ability's pretty powerful, but somewhat boring. Part of me also wishes that we could have a different, more Chinese alternate leader for the Middle Kingdom, but Kublai Khan is a big personality so I'm somewhat ok with it (that's also off-topic for this thread, but I just wanted to put that out there).

All things considered, most of these Civs I have pretty positive impressions of. The ones that I'm less fond of aren't even poorly designed, but just ones I kind of find boring. I think by this Pass (and to a lesser extent, Gathering Storm), the devs really got a feel of what kind of bonuses capitalize the most off of Civ VI's systems, and put together some really banger designs.

Last edited:
I'm generally pretty fond of the NFP all things considered.

I agree, NFP has been terrible for the game mechanics in my opinion, but I'm fairly happy with the design of the Civs (reused animation excluded). Gaul and Vietnam are some of my new absolute favorites. I do hope some NFP Civs are included in the upcoming balance pass though so the weaker offerings can be ironed out.

I was able to vote and able to see the charts but can’t seem to see a breakdown. Probably because I’m on my iPhone, who knows.

My favorite is Georgia (Dramatic Ages).
Best Designed: Japan
Worst Designed: Babylon

As far as NFP I think it’s been great, minus one Civ. In order of my enjoyment:

Maya: I like the whole unique “keep it within six tiles of your capital” gameplay. I love city planning and this is one of the more fun ones to pull off. They have a brutal start but I enjoy the challenge.

Gaul: I like culture bomb mines and love the Oppidum. City planning!

Vietnam: City planning! My runner up for best designed Civ behind Japan (or at least most clever).

Ethiopia: A little too powerful in early faith for my tastes but the ability to focus on Faith while still getting passive Science and Culture is wonderful. Easy archeological museums.

Byzantium: Way too strong! Still has some interesting functions with Domination and Faith mix. Easily the best Civ to chain Golden Ages (sorry Georgia). Love the music.

Gran Columbia: Kind of... bland. I like the ability to move after promotions but am not too excited by the rest of their kit.

Babylon: Nothing but a gimmick. Unique building is about the only thing I like. Won’t play them again.

It's kind of interesting that Canada was one of the most voted civs in both the 'your favourite civ' and 'worst civ design' categories. I voted them as my favourite.

I think a lot of people just plain don't like them. They didn't try to play to Canada's strengths and didn't bother to really learn them. Admittedly, Canada was pretty lackluster until Firaxis made Blizzards add yields when they hit. Now Tundra tiles are pretty decent after a Blizzard or two and Canada isn't that bad. I think it's fun.

I think a lot of people just plain don't like them. They didn't try to play to Canada's strengths and didn't bother to really learn them. Admittedly, Canada was pretty lackluster until Firaxis made Blizzards add yields when they hit. Now Tundra tiles are pretty decent after a Blizzard or two and Canada isn't that bad. I think it's fun.
I agree - Canada is very fun to play, especially with their unique non-combat support unit (more of these please!). Tundra cities are not their main focus however - maximum national park space is - but merely a bonus option that is unique to Canada once they’ve maximized their empire elsewhere. They are given the option of forward settling like crazy due to the lack of retaliation, and then a nice bonus to fall back on making decent-to-good cities on full-blown tundra when everyone else (sans Russia) make poor cities under the same circumstances. When I play, most of my cities are not on tundra but the ones I have there are pretty nice.

They are definitely polarizing though. I don’t play multiplayer but I can assume they would be terrible in that since it negates their greatest strength.

I think that New Frontier Pack had very interesting design choice, my only two problems are: 1) The Observatory; i love the district but it lacks something more for me, i like that i has a different way to get adjacent bonuses but i would have like something more from it, either like religious bonus or a similar ability to Civ 5 maya great person ability idk. 2) Gran Colombia is simple and fun, but i think that they could have give more to both the civ and leaders abilities, like yeah keep the movement and the promotion thingy, but add something else idk, same to Bolivar, like yeah Comandante General is a cool idea but it would be cool to see a smaller second part to the ability.

I think that New Frontier Pack had very interesting design choice, my only two problems are: 1) The Observatory; i love the district but it lacks something more for me, i like that i has a different way to get adjacent bonuses but i would have like something more from it, either like religious bonus or a similar ability to Civ 5 maya great person ability idk. 2) Gran Colombia is simple and fun, but i think that they could have give more to both the civ and leaders abilities, like yeah keep the movement and the promotion thingy, but add something else idk, same to Bolivar, like yeah Comandante General is a cool idea but it would be cool to see a smaller second part to the ability.
Make one of Gran Colombia's Abilities Bolivar's and add something to Gran Colombia, or make it so that the +1 Movement only applies on your Home Continent. Either of these would work.

Top Bottom