Resource icon

Civ VI Reference 1.2

MSWord can split tables anywhere. If all of the beliefs were in a single table and the type of belief were in a column with sideways text spanning all the appropriate rows, it might fit on just two pages instead of three.

I'm well aware of splitting tables and used it extensively in the document. If a table split ran to 2 pages plus a small amount of lines on a third page, I adjusted the splits to a more equal size so that enough of a table was visible on a page to make comparisons within a page better, instead of leaving something like 1-3 lines left over on a new page.

Most of the tables were carefully fitted to maintain a consistent look while keeping row heights as small as practical so more rows fit on a page. Adding columns will drive row heights higher resulting in fewer rows per page and a reduction in comparability, as well as a larger page count.

My list of spy locations above is complete based on your PDF (even if I included an "etc" above). But it is possible to train more spies than just 2 or 3 so there must be some other places that grant spies. Last night when I ran the game I forgot to look up the additional spots in the tech graph.

I know all the adjacency bonus are elsewhere in the file. My first sentence was "some duplication would be helpful". I missed your note that appendixes were planned. As for size you could always split in half: Civilization Reference Vol 1 Beliefs thru Improvements and Civilization Reference Vol 2 Leaders thru Wonders. PDF format supports cross-PDF linking. Not sure you can do it in MSWord though.

Lots of stuff I'd like to add beyond a cross reference, stuff like breakdown tables of military units by era and by type in addition to alphabetical. That would allow seeing what you had and were up against in a particular era or see the progress of power in a particular units class.

Splitting into multiple documents is fully supported in MSWord, but it doesn't really buy you anything. The issue is total bytes transferred in hosting and it's cost for CivFanatics. Dling two sections that add up to the same amount of bytes doesn't gain you anything in hosting total bytes delivered.

The MSWord doc source is 113 Mb+. The primary culprit is the graphics. Most of the icons I got from screen capture came off the screen at 258x253 pixels (the big upper right icons in a double frame with cut corners you see in the civilopedia). That's 261,096 bytes (258*253 pixels * 4 bytes (RGB+Alpha) per each occurrence in the document. That includes the tiny icons next to stuff like techs and civics links in rows. They are just shrunken in display size, not in pixel count. The full set of 722 graphics used is 32,982,784 bytes for just one occurrence of each image. The images are embedded in the document many times. While I could shrink the document a lot by linking the images to a file directory instead of embedding, then I'd have to deliver the whole image set to go with the document. Even RARed down it's 25Mb+.

I'm hoping we'll soon see either the release of the toolset (possibly giving us multiple icon sizes to choose from) or some graphic artist with the feel for shrinking pixel size down, while still fooling the eye for apparent detail will make a set. I'm not such a graphic artist with thousands of hours of hands on time to get the 'feel' for using varied color tones as single pixels to fool the eye with detail in a small image.

While I could easily reduce the images to any pixel size desired, it would result in massive lost detail. Look at how detailed the unit images are in civilopedia. Take the Biplane for example. The connecting lines between the wings are only 1-2 pixels wide, shrink that to say 64x64 and the results wouldn't be pretty. Or look at the Tank. I choose to keep the quality despite the size penalty.

Fortunately, passing the DOC into LibreOffice and exporting to PDF resulted in a large decrease in size. I suspect this a result of duplicate images being recognized and storing only one copy. Give me a good quality set of smaller images, and I've have the slack to add lots of things and probably still be smaller than it is now.

Well, isn't dropbox or google drive a better solution for hosting large files?

I'm wondering if this wouldn't be better as a zipped archive of HTML, CSS, and JPGs.

Excellent reference -- Thanks for your work.

I would also second adding some additional reference material -- in particular, amenities and housing.

Any chance you'll update this for the new DLCs?

I'm not ignoring the need for updating, but a funny thing happened to me in December. Had a cardiac event that put me in the hospital for a week and was feeling subpar for quite a while after it. I did get started on an update for the stuff that happened to the game in December after I got home again in January and did a fair portion of the updating of icons etc. but still wasn't quite feeling up to the massive hours a full update takes, thus I didn't finish it.

I'm working on it again and if all goes well should have an update to current ready in about a week... (crosses fingers) :)

awesome! that's great turnaround time on that. thanks Grumalg!

Personally, I didn't think my turnaround time was all that good. I didn't notice the patch had happened till Aug 3, so it took me 12 days after that to get it done.

Since I've become a decrepit old fart, my ability to do 24 hour + marathons working on something has disappeared. Combine that with failing eyesight and it took what I thought was a long time...

@Grumalg the purchase costs on buildings do not look right
Very useful guide, have used it lots but the gold is replicated from the prod by the looks of it.

Note that the reference uses the value found in the Civilopedia which is the 'Base' value. It is typical for the 'Base' Prod cost and 'Base' Purchase cost to be the same in the Civilopedia. Check the in game civilopedia for any value you think is wrong in the reference and see if they are the same.

The Base value is modified to get the actual value in game depending on the choices made when starting the game for example (difficulty, time pace, etc.). Since I cannot know in advance what choices are made in starting the game and there are many combinations of changes it only makes sense to list the 'Base' value just like the Civilopedia does.

Is there a chance this will get updated with the expansions? The PDF is sooooo good but it's obsolete... Thanks for your great work.

@robal1991 you need to use an @ sign in front of someone’s name to alert them better.
I suspect @Grumalg is gone as if you go to his profile it shows he last logged on on the 25th September 2018 but you never know.
Using an @ only alerts them here but if you start a conversation with him in his profile, that will send him an e-mail alert.

Did @Grumalg leave a source code file behind (MS Word that he converts to PDF? Something else?)? It seems a shame (s)he put so much into it only to let it go out of date. I would gladly tip a maintainer via paypal/patreon for an up to date version

It seems a shame (s)he put so much into it only to let it go out of date.
I have guides that are out of date, it seems a shame I do not get them up to date. To give you some insight from the heart…
I wrote the guides when I was fully engaged and also had time to do so, it felt great to contribute and the guides really helped people. Now I am jaded and to update them would take a huge amount of effort and life has got a lot busier.
I remember having a conversation with @Grumalg .. I think I may have a word formatted version of the reference around. The question is, if I supplied it, who would update it, because I can tell you now, it is a hell of a lot of work and is all there in the wiki anyway.

Top Bottom