Civ VI to Civ VII Part Two: Natural and Un-Natural Wonders

The current system of rushing to be the first to complete a wonder works fine IMO. It's a fun game mechanic that brings some risk to investing the production into a wonder. You can rationalize it as 'your civ ended up building something similar, but it wasn't as wondrous as the real thing'.

I would like to see more creative effects for wonders, especially in the late-game. For example, after completing Bletchley Park, you could 'crack the enigma code' of a civilization of your choice, granting +25% naval combat strength to you versus them and allowing yourself and your allies to see where their naval units are.

One of the problems with the current wonder system is that the tech leader always has a big advantage. There should be some wonders whose bonuses are specifically designed to help players who are in behind catch up to civs who are close to winning the game, with their effects being way less useful for someone who is already in the lead. That way, the tech leader has to decide whether they will waste the hammers to build the wonder just to deny it from other civs, or spare the hammers knowing another civ can build it and use it to catch up to them.

. . . One of the problems with the current wonder system is that the tech leader always has a big advantage. There should be some wonders whose bonuses are specifically designed to help players who are in behind catch up to civs who are close to winning the game, with their effects being way less useful for someone who is already in the lead. That way, the tech leader has to decide whether they will waste the hammers to build the wonder just to deny it from other civs, or spare the hammers knowing another civ can build it and use it to catch up to them.

Having the requirements to start a Wonder be related to in-game events, Civics, Social Policies, Government types, and other 'non-Technical' requirements would keep the tech leader from hogging the Wonders, and some of those Wonders could have a Catch U function.

Mind you, trying to balance the game on the back of Wonders is pretty bad design, but Civ has had a Runaway Problem with Science or Domination-type Victories forever, so right now any balancing mechanic is better than None.

I mean if you want some out of the box changes, I would suggest the following: All wonders come with specific yield and bonuses.
=> Yields can be increased over time, ideally by unlocking a new technological era (optimization of the wonder's main use)
=> However, only the builder can make use of the special unique bonus. If someone conquers the wonder, they cannot make use of that bonus immediately, but they do get all the passive yields the wonder has accumulated over time.

Here are a few suggestions of which direction you can go (because we must ensure that dear mr Boris doesn't get bored)

1) You can allow the conquering Civ to destroy the Wonder, recouping some of its resources (ie a burst of Culture or whatever)
2) You can allow Civs to repurpose Wonders of other Civs: For instance a Wonder can be repurposed as a Museum or a Cathedral (see: the Aya Sofiya Mosque and the Hagia Sophia Basilica). This would basically give the Wonder a new, different bonus for a cheaper cost than building a new one from scratch.
3) You can allow Civs to synchronize with the culture of the Civ they conquered as if it's their own, unlocking their inherent bonuses for your Civilization as well. Like in EU4 with its 'Cultural Adoption' mechanics, there would be a limit to the amount of cultures you can synchronize with, but there are several historical precedents. The Macedonian-Greek Ptolemy dynasty that ruled Egypt for one. Turkey certainly does claim ownership over the Hittite and Ancient Greek sites found in their lands, etc. For better or for worse, these countries appropriated an unrelated culture as their own and I don't think Civ should shy away from at least considering a similar mechanic in the future.

Effectively, Wonders are man-made landmarks constructed for purposes bigger than merely mundane utility. They are integral parts of their owner's cultural patrimonium. Their bonuses should become gradually stronger the later they appear in the tech tree. An Industrial Era wonder should be significantly more powerful than a Classical Era one.

Conversely, an ancient era Wonder should have a advantage to Tourism over later-era Wonders for two reasons. Firstly, it gives players a reason to keep their Old Era Wonders around, so that Civs which elect to cultivate their cultural patrimonium will develop a lead towards Culture Victory. Secondly, in real life the really ancient sites usually yield more tourists. The biggest tourist attractions in the world include the Colosseum, the Pyramids, the Great Wall and the Acropolis - all ancient and classical era wonders. (as well as some modern ones such as Machu Picchu, the Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower) Several of the biggest pilgrimage sites in India are religious sites that date back to the beginnings of Buddhism and Hinduism. In Civ 6 however, the tourism yielded by The Temple of Artemis or Stonehenge is negligable. Just get an early TS and Ampitheatre, fill it with two books and you already have more Tourism.

As an addendum (but I've already mentioned this earlier today, I'm sure? w/e): Appeal should be made more meaningful as a factor improving Tourism for any wonder or district benefiting from it. Winning a Culture victory from Making A Bunch Of Books doesn't feel entirely right. Not a single person who read 'Last of the Mohicans' thought Woah I REALLY need to visit upstate New York like RIGHT NOW (in part because it's a tediously written book with a meandering storyline that nobody has read, but that's my point exactly :) :englishteacherintensifies: ). Locations of Wonders should matter, if only because it makes them easier for Tourists to access.

Last edited:
Generally, I think it's fine the way it is. Besides, if you lose a wonder, there's always more to build.

My only problem is, in my view, that wonder should be a reward for something you do and not necessarily something you rush to build. It should be like a trophy.

And perhaps Civ can add "mini" wonders that can be placed into an existing district, like Frank Lloyd Wright's houses or some other architectural style. You know those structures you can build if you are an ally of some city states? Just introduce more of those, but you can build them with cultural points or money or something.

As an addendum (but I've already mentioned this earlier today, I'm sure? w/e): Appeal should be made more meaningful as a factor improving Tourism for any wonder or district benefiting from it. Winning a Culture victory from Making A Bunch Of Books doesn't feel entirely right. Not a single person who read 'Last of the Mohicans' thought Woah I REALLY need to visit upstate New York like RIGHT NOW (in part because it's a tediously written book with a meandering storyline that nobody has read, but that's my point exactly :) :englishteacherintensifies: ). Locations of Wonders should matter, if only because it makes them easier for Tourists to access.

IMO Tourism in civ is just a fancy way of transforming the abstract idea of 'cultural influence' into a yield that can be gamified. Winning a cultural victory isn't about having the most tourists visit your lands, it's about your civilizations culture becoming so prevalent and dominant that it displaces other cultures. In that sense, it makes sense that your civilizations literary achievements contribute towards your cultural influence, even though as you mentioned it's not really going to have an impact on literal tourism.

The Cree and Mapuche come to mind as civs that would not have any pre-set wonders to choose from and would really limit the selection of civs from the Americas that aren't post-colonial nations barring the Aztec, Maya, Inca and the Muisca with Païtiti. :mischief:
In terms of monumental architecture there are many options on Mesoamerica and Central Andes.

Some have really good wonder options like Teotihuacan and Moche, but their leader options are from little recorded (Spearthrower Owl) to pure archelogical (Lord of Sipan). Still like the Mississippian we can pick some of their later historical related representatives.

Others like Purepecha, Zapotec, Totonac, Chimu, etc. have historical leader options and acceptable wonder options (at least as good as Stonehenge of Great Zimbabwe).

Anyway, I am sure that like the civ leaders, the specific identified wonders would not be remplaced with generic common options because they are part of the identity of CIV series. Still, personally would love to leave out both the limiting leader centric civ design and the aberrant construction of specific monuments by a unrelated civ.
Despite this realization, is fun to do a list of common wonders like Megalith Monument, Royal Tomb, Astronomical Observatory, Maximum Arena, Great Library, Colossal Statue, Grand Theatre, World Fair, Patriotic Monument, National Memorial, etc.
Plus the "Great Temple" option for each religion as wonders.

They are integral parts of their owner's cultural patrimonium.

First of all thank you for the new word Patrimonium. We need a Patrimonium victory. Something that measures not only how many cities and tech you have but events and history.

Despite this realization, is fun to do a list of common wonders like Megalith Monument, Royal Tomb, Astronomical Observatory, Maximum Arena, Great Library, Colossal Statue, Grand Theatre, World Fair, Patriotic Monument, National Memorial, etc.

This list makes me wonder if national wonders they should be tied to governments rather then civs. While you are a chiefdom you can build Megalith Monument - but once you move to a new government you opportunity to build it is gone forever.

In terms of monumental architecture there are many options on Mesoamerica and Central Andes.

Some have really good wonder options like Teotihuacan and Moche, but their leader options are from little recorded (Spearthrower Owl) to pure archelogical (Lord of Sipan). Still like the Mississippian we can pick some of their later historical related representatives.

Others like Purepecha, Zapotec, Totonac, Chimu, etc. have historical leader options and acceptable wonder options (at least as good as Stonehenge of Great Zimbabwe).

Anyway, I am sure that like the civ leaders, the specific identified wonders would not be remplaced with generic common options because they are part of the identity of CIV series. Still, personally would love to leave out both the limiting leader centric civ design and the aberrant construction of specific monuments by a unrelated civ.
Plus the "Great Temple" option for each religion as wonders.

A possible Civ VII Wonder Rework should include both a tightening of requirements to include Government type and Social Policies in effect at the time, and also 'alternate' or 'consolation' Wonders in the same category.

I also think that, like Civ VI, a lot of 'traditional' in-game Wonders could become Unique Improvements, possibly not Unique to a Civ, but Unique to an in-game situation, Social Policy, or Government.
Witness in Civ VI, the Long Wall (Great Wall) becoming a Unique Improvement for China. Given that similar (shorter) Walls were built by numerous other Civs, including such different ones as Rome, Persia, Denmark and Anglo-Saxon 'England', why couldn't a Long Wall be a Unique Improvement available to any Civ that has X number of Barbarian Incursions across the same frontier or a Social Policy labeled, say, "Keep Them Out!" (which has the nice auxiliary effect that adopting it takes up a slot you might prefer to use for something else - investing in a Wonder should cost something, every time). Building the Longest contiguous Wall, of course, (as China did) should get you extra benefits, like later Culture and, certainly, Tourism.

In the case of categorizing Wonders, give me a day or so and I'll post a list of Wonders that have appeared in previous Civs and CivFanatic lists, by Era and Category. There are 51 Wonders in Civ VI now, but 135 others have been suggested or used previously, and, of course, there is no such thing as a 'complete' list of Wonders . . .

I agree completely, that the previous (Civ IV?) system of having a Great Temple or Founding Temple for your Religion in your Holy City would be a great idea to return to the game, and would have the added benefit of removing a bunch of very similar Temple Wonders from any general Wonder List.

My main problem is finding wonders north of Mesoamerica which other than the Mississippian mounds and possibly the Pueblos, I'm not sure there are any.

I agree completely, that the previous (Civ IV?) system of having a Great Temple or Founding Temple for your Religion in your Holy City would be a great idea to return to the game, and would have the added benefit of removing a bunch of very similar Temple Wonders from any general Wonder List.
At the same time I think for certain world wonders it would definitely work and act like national wonders of previous games.
For instance the Mahabodi Temple would have to be built in your Holy City.

Another one that comes to mind is Oxford. Instead of building Oxford next to any university it has to have an adjacency bonus of greater than 4, signifying its's academic prestige in the real world.

. . . At the same time I think for certain world wonders it would definitely work and act like national wonders of previous games.
For instance the Mahabodi Temple would have to be built in your Holy City.

I'd prefer something that combines some previous features from Civ versions:
Once you've achieved/selected a Religion, there would be a Wonder associated with that religion which could be built only in your Holy City, but whose Bonuses are related to the beliefs you've chosen for your Religion.

Example, using the Mahabodi Temple, which would be the Main Temple/Religious Structure for Theravada Buddhism. Select that as your Relgion, and Mahabodi Temple becomes available to build in your Holy City ONLY. But, instead of the current 'standard' Faith and Apostle Bonus,, it would have a Faith Bonus plus a Bonus related to your chosen Pantheon Belief. Like, choose Monument to the Gods, and get +15% Production towards Medieval and Renaissance Wonders as well as Ancient and Classical Era ones. Choose God of Craftsmen, get +1 Production from Mines over any Resource, not just Strategic Resources.

The Bonuses applicable from the Main Temple should be part of the Pantheon Belief

Another one that comes to mind is Oxford. Instead of building Oxford next to any university it has to have an adjacency bonus of greater than 4, signifying its's academic prestige in the real world.

Actually, I think Oxford is a good example of another 'class' of Wonder I'd like to see: one that Replaces a Building rather than enhance it. After all, Oxford IS the University: it should replace the Campus, giving all the bonuses from that Campus plus some Oxfordian Specific Bonus. Ruhr Valley should replace an Industrial District the same way.
This obviously wouldn't be universal among Wonders: the Great Lighthouse is not a replacement for a Harbor, it enhances it, and while many of the Great Temples could replace an entire Holy Site (Angkor Wat, for example, is a city-sized complex) others have very different attributes (in the game so far) than any District, like the Temple of Artemis or Statue/Temple of Zeus: We'd have to go through all the Wonders and pick which ones could stand as District Replacements without throwing the whole game off.

Wonders that count as 'super buildings' come with an extra advantage (from a mechanics perspective). If you fail to build first, you could get its regular regular building/district counterpart for free instead. (so long as you get past a certain, predetermined production threshhold, so no scumming you a free Uni by putting 10 prod into Oxford for instance).

This could work for all wonders. For those that don't have an obvious counterpart, like say, a Christo Redentor, you could just introduce a building, district or feature to match it. Like Civ 5's landmarks.

Actually, I think Oxford is a good example of another 'class' of Wonder I'd like to see: one that Replaces a Building rather than enhance it. After all, Oxford IS the University: it should replace the Campus, giving all the bonuses from that Campus plus some Oxfordian Specific Bonus. Ruhr Valley should replace an Industrial District the same way.
This obviously wouldn't be universal among Wonders: the Great Lighthouse is not a replacement for a Harbor, it enhances it, and while many of the Great Temples could replace an entire Holy Site (Angkor Wat, for example, is a city-sized complex) others have very different attributes (in the game so far) than any District, like the Temple of Artemis or Statue/Temple of Zeus: We'd have to go through all the Wonders and pick which ones could stand as District Replacements without throwing the whole game off.
That's how I sort of imagined it. However it would have to start out as a regular university, but if that university/campus generated the most science in your civilization you could "upgrade" it into the Oxford University wonder.

Once you've achieved/selected a Religion, there would be a Wonder associated with that religion which could be built only in your Holy City, but whose Bonuses are related to the beliefs you've chosen for your Religion.

Example, using the Mahabodi Temple, which would be the Main Temple/Religious Structure for Theravada Buddhism. Select that as your Relgion, and Mahabodi Temple becomes available to build in your Holy City ONLY. But, instead of the current 'standard' Faith and Apostle Bonus,, it would have a Faith Bonus plus a Bonus related to your chosen Pantheon Belief. Like, choose Monument to the Gods, and get +15% Production towards Medieval and Renaissance Wonders as well as Ancient and Classical Era ones. Choose God of Craftsmen, get +1 Production from Mines over any Resource, not just Strategic Resources.

I like the idea of getting a free belief related to your pantheon but there might be trouble finding if enough wonders for each religion depending how many Firaxis puts or if such a building is even appropriate to use. Also, how would player created custom religions work? Just choose a religious wonder at random or maybe create a generic wonder to fill the void?

I like the idea of getting a free belief related to your pantheon but there might be trouble finding if enough wonders for each religion depending how many Firaxis puts or if such a building is even appropriate to use. Also, how would player created custom religions work? Just choose a religious wonder at random or maybe create a generic wonder to fill the void?

A lot depends, of course, on how many Religions the game provides - the Historical Religions Mod, for instance, has close to a dozen different versions of Christianity alone in it, which would strain almost any Wonder list!
On the other hand, here's a list off the top of my head of some historically-popular Religions and 'Primary' Temples:
Mahayana Buddhism.....Borobudur
Theraveda Buddhism.....Shwedagon Pagoda

Catholicism.....St Peter’s Basilica
Eastern Orthodoxy.....St Basil’s Cathedral
Oriental Orthodoxy.....Church of Saint George
Hinduism..... Meenakhshi Temple
Sunni Islam.....Dome of the Rock
Shia Islam.....Imam Ali Mosque

Judaism.....Solomon’s Temple
Anglicanism.....Westminster Abbey

Sikhism.....Darbar Sahib (Golden Temple)

The ones not in Italics are already in Civ VI.

In addition, my current Wonder List has another 35 - 39 'Religious' Wonders, not even including Prehistoric probably-religious structures like Stonehenge, the Carnac Stones, Tarxian Complex or Uffington White Horse. Linking many of them to specific and especially Custom Religions might scamper very close to Fantasy, but could be done and duplicate (there are far more than 1 - 2 cathedrals, mosques or temples on the list from the same religions) Religious Structures could be available as 'floats' to assign to Custom Religions: Wat Arun or Hildesheimer Dom are sufficiently different architecturally from other Buddhist or Catholic, temples, respectively, that they could easily be 'free' to be assigned to Gudenufism or some other Religion Of Choice . . .

And here we go, another Big Honking Post of Wonders.
Specifically, here's a list of all the Wonders in Civ VI, previous Civ versions, or CivFanatics Threads recently. I have also indicated at least a Base type or type of Bonus from them, but that, of course, is subject to debate and modification, and most Wonders have attributes covering more than one area.
Potential Wonders categorized by Era and Type
Key:
* = indicates Wonder in Civ VI now
# = indicates Wonder in previous Civ versions
^ = indicates Wonder suggested by CivFanatics

Types based on ‘currencies’ in Civ VI:
A = Amenity/Happiness/Entertainment
C = Culture
D = Diplomacy, Governors, Envoys
F = Food, Growth
G = Gold, Commerce
L = Loyalty
M = Military
N = Naval
P = Production
R = Religious
S = Science

Ancient Era:
*Great Bath (G)
*Hanging Gardens (G)
*Oracle (R)
*Pyramids (P)
*Stonehenge (R)
*Temple of Artemis (R)
# Great Sphinx of Giza
^ Abu Simbel Temples (Temple of Ramesses) (R)
^ Bagneaux Dolmen (Dolmen de Bagneux) (R)
^ Carnac Stones (Steudadou Karnag) (R)
^ Dendera Temple Complex (Lunet/Tantera) (R)
^ Great Dam of Mar’ib (F)
^ Karnak Temple Complex (R)
^ Newgrange (Si an Bhru) (L)
^ Tarxian Complex (Malta Temples) (R)
^ Uffington White Horse (R)
^ White Temple (Anu Ziggurat) (R)

Classical Era:
*Apadama (D)
*Colosseum (A)
*Colossus (G)
*Great Library (S)
*Great Lighthouse (N)
*Jebel Barkal (M)
*Machu Picchu (G)
*Mahabodhi Temple (R)
*Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (N)
*Petra (G)
*Statue of Zeus (M)
*Terracotta Army (M)
# Parthenon (C)
# Solomon’s Temple (Hekhal) (R)
^ Aquae Sulis (Bath, England) (A)
^ Baths of Caracalla (A)
^ Canal of the Pharaohs (Nile to Red Sea) (G)
^ Cholula Pyramid (R)
^ Circus Maximus (A)
^ Dionysius’ Workshop (Ortygia) (S)
^ Etemenanki (R)
^ Glastonbury Tor (C)
^ Great Stupa (Sanchi) (R)
^ Ishtar Gate (L)
^ Lyceum of Athens (S)
^ Pantheon (R)
^ Plato’s Academy (S)
^ Pyramid of the Sun (R)
^ Shaolin Monastery (M)
^ Sigiya (Sinhagiri, Lion Rock) (P)
^ Temple of Olympian Zeus (Olympieion) (R)
^ Yellow Crane Tower (C)

Medieval Era:
*Alhambra (M)
*Angkor Wat (G)
*Chichen Itza (C)
*Hagia Sophia (R)
*Huey Teocalli (F)
*Kilwa Kisiwani (D)
*Kotoku-In (R)
*Meenakshi Temple (R)
*Mont St Michel (R)
*University of Sankore (S)
# Borobudur (Candi Borobudur) (R)
# Kremlin (Moskovskii Kreml) (L)
# Leaning Tower of Pisa (Campanile) (R)
# Notre Dame (Notre Dame de Paris) (C)
# Porcelain Tower (R)
# Shwedagon Pagoda (R)
# Spiral Minaret (Malwiya Tower) (R)
^ Buddhas of Bamyan (R)
^ Cairo Citadel (Citadel of Saladin) (L)
^ Canterbury Cathedral (R)
^ Chartres Cathedral (Notre Dame de Chartres) (R)
^ Church of St. George (Bete Gyorgis) (R)
^ Cologne Cathedral (R)
^ Dhamek Stupa (R)
^ Dome of the Rock (Kippat ha-Sela) (R)
^ Gyeonbokgung (Palace) (D)
^ Grand Canal (Jing-Hang Da Yunhe) (G)
^ Great Mosque of Djenne (R)
^ Heddal Church (stavkirke) (R)
^ Heidelburg Castle (Heidelburger Schloss) (M)
^ Hildesheim Cathedral (Hildesheimer Dom) (R)
^ Horyu-ji Temple (Horyu Gakumonji) (R)
^ House of Wisdom (Bayt al-Hikmah) (S)
^ Iron Pagoda (R)
^ Ise Grand Shrine (Ise Jingu) (R)
^ Itsukushima Shrine (R)
^ Kamakura Daibutsu (R)
^ Kinkaku-ji (Temple of the Golden Pavilion) (R)
^ Konark Sun Temple (Surya Devalaya) (R)
^ Lingaraja Temple (R)
^ Magdeburg Cathedral (Magdeburger Dom) (R)
^ Monte Cassino Abbey (Casinum) (R)
^ Shwezigon Pagoda (Shwezigon Paya) (R)
^ Su Song’s Water Clock (Hun Yi) (S)
^ Toda-Ji (Great Eastern Temple) (R)
^ Tournai Cathedral (R)
^ Tower of London (L)
^ Wartburg Castle (M)
^ Westminster Abbey (R)
^ Windsor Castle (L)

Renaissance Era:
*Casa de Contratacion (D)
*Forbidden City (D)
*Great Zimbabwe (G)
*Portala Palace (D)
*St Basil’s Cathedral (R)
*Taj Mahal (D)
*Venetian Arsenal (N)
# Globe Theater (C)
# Himeji Castle (Shirasagi-jo) (M)
# Louvre (C)
# Red Fort (Lal Qila) (L)
# Uffizi Gallery (Galleria degli Uffizi) (C)
# Versailles (Chateau de Versailles) (D)
^ Agra Fort (L)
^ Brunelleschi’s Dome (Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore) (R)
^ Fontainebleau Palace (Chateau de Fontainebleau) (C)
^ Fuggerei (F)
^ Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib) (R)
^ Grand Bazaar (Buyuk Carsi) (G)
^ Jama Masjid (Masjid e Jahan Numa) (R)
^ Kronborg Castle (M)
^ Les Invalides (Hotel national des Invalides) (M)
^ Osaka Castle (Osaka-jo) (M)
^ Saint Paul’s Cathedral (R)
^ Saint Peter’s Basilica (R)
^ Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn) (C)
^ Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) (R)
^ Topkapi Palace (Topkapi Saray) (C)
^ Trongsa Dzong (Chkor Rabtentse Dzong) (R)
^ Tuileries Palace (Palais des Tuilieries) (L)
^ Uraniborg (Uranienborg) (S)
^ Wat Arun (Wat Arun Ratchawararam) (R)

Industrial Eta:
*Big Ben (G)
*Bolshoi Theatre (C)
*Hermitage (C)
*Orszaghaz (C)
*Oxford University (S)
*Panama Canal (G)
*Ruhr Valley (P)
*Statue of Liberty (D)
# Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor) (L)
# Neuschwanstein (Schloss Neuschwanstein) (C)
#Wall Street (G)
#West Point (M)
^ Arc de Triomphe (Arc de Tromphe de l’Etoile) (M)
^ Blackpool Tower (A)
^ Blenheim Palace (C)
^ British Museum (S)
^ Brooklyn Bridge (East River Bridge) (G)
^ Carnegie Hall (New York) (C)
^ Crystal Palace (S)
^ Erie Canal (New York State Barge Canal) (G)
^ Kew Gardens (Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew) (S)
^ La Scala Opera House (Teatro alla Scala) (C)
^ Library of Congress (S)
^ Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) (C)
^ Pasteur Institute (Institut Pasteur) (G)
^ Prado Museum (Museo Nacional del Prado) (C)
^ Sacre Coeur (Basilique du Sacre-Coeur) (D)
^ Smithsonian Institution (S)
^ Suez Canal (G)
^ Tower Bridge (G)
^ Washington Monument (L)

Modern Era:
*Broadway (C)
*Cristo Redentor (C)
*Eiffel Tower (C)
*Golden Gate Bridge (A)
#Hoover Dam (Boulder Dam) (G)
^ Boardwalk (Atlantic City) (A)
^ Brighton Palace Pier (Brighton Pier) (A)
^ Christ of the Andes (R)
^ Grand Central Station (G)
^ Empire State Building (G)
^ Mount Rushmore (C)
^ Szechenyi Bath (Szechenyi Gyogyfurdo) (A)

Atomic Era:
*Amundsen-Scott Research Station (C)
*Biosphere (C)
*Estadio do Maracana (A)
*Sydney Opera House (C)
# Pentagon (M)
^ Disneyland Park (A)
^ Garden of Vestiges (Jardin de Vestiges) (C)
^ Itaipu Dam (P)
^ Motherland Calls (L)
^ Puy du Fou (A)

Information Era:
# Three Gorges Dam (P)
^ Angel of the North (C)
^ Eden Project (Edenva) (S)
^ Millau Viaduct (Viaduc de Millau) (G)
^ Tate Modern (C)
^ Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet) (C)

My comments on the above list:

1. By no means is this complete, and there are 'Wonders' on there that I would not put in a game as World Wonders, but rather probably belong as some kind of National Wonder. The point was to list everything so we could whittle the list down.
2. I don't really think Information Era Wonders are worth their cost: they come so late in the game that any Bonuses are simply not available long enough to be critical to Victory. Possibly some kind of shorter-term Projects could be a better 'fit' for the End Game Era.
3. As posted above, among the listed Wonders are a bunch of Religious (R) Wonders that I think could be attached to specific Religions as your Holy City Bonus Wonder for getting that religion. This would keep the competition down, since no one else could even start that Wonder, and also provide a potential 'use' for multiple Cathedral, Temple, Basilica wonders which, realistically, would have very similar attributes and be virtually redundant if kept as 'regular' Wonders in the game.
4. Some of the Ancient Era Wonders in fact pre-date the Start of Game at 4000 BCE and cannot really be associated with any historical Civilization. We might want some kind of different Wonder-generating mechanic for Wonders that can, really, be built before your first city in a Neolithic Era or include some really old Wonders like Gobekli Tepe, the Carnac Stones, Dolmens and other Megalithic Wonders as Terrain Features already in place at start (anybody else remember the recurring Terrain Features with Bonuses in SMAC?) - sort of like Man-Made Natural Wonders . . .

What happened CN Tower. Copyright issues?

There are a bunch of "World's/Hemisphere's Tallest Building/Structure" Wonders in the Atomic and Information Eras that I left out and probably shouldn't have in the interests of completeness - especially the CN Tower, which is listed since 1995 as a Modern World Wonder by ASCE. The problem is, unless you can find another attribute to attach to them, their Wonder status only lasts a few turns realistically. The list would include (at least!):
CN Tower
Willis (Sears) Tower
World Trade Center
One World Trade Center
Burj Khalifa
Petronas Towers

Wasn't planning on getting into this so soon, but a news item gob-smacked me this morning, so here goes . . .

Some sample questions that I think need to be answered:

1. What changes in the Wonders, or the Wonder mechanics, and the Natural Wonders, do we need/want in Civ VII?
What the wonders do will depend on mechanics, and game balance overarching policies on what abilities to dispense for hammer investment.

Wonder mechanics, I think have been played out in the "first person to finish gets everything" department. It was something to try and people don't like it, so try something else.
I would like to see the idea that when you start a wonder you don't pick the wonder yet; instead, you merely "build a cultural marvel" - something that you are permitted to do by meeting conditions. You know how Vox Populi and Civ VI each had ways of hiding the very ability to try a wonder behind a certain condition? And the total number of wonders you could have is limited? Anything that works like that could be in place, to allow you to try to "build a cultural marvel".
When you finish the cultural marvel, you get one. It does something worthwhile domestically and for your cultural heritage. But some sort of mechanic makes the construction "turn out to be" what we call a World Wonder. You build a cultural marvel in the 1800s, you meet the prereqs for Big Ben, bam, it's Big Ben. Naturally, some way to erase any random aspect is needed.
Like this:
Another possibility is to classify Wonder as to the general Bonus Effects: Religion, Commerce, Military, Production, Great People, etc. Then provide a choice of 'Wonder' in each category and general time-frame/Era.
Also, it would seem that not every wonder will be made each game. While it may not be made on-time in existing system, the static cost makes for the likelihood someone will take it because of its value eventually becoming easy to pay for. This would be a good aspect to repeat.

2. Do we want to bring back National Wonders?
A bonus you can only get one of in the empire? Sure. A system that constrains expansion and development along an arbitrary timeline as a result of an extremely overcentralizing, overpowered, early game example of the kind? God no.

Last edited:
I would like to see the return of the Hoover/Three Gorges dam for the electricity bonus. Fun as it is, the Ruhr valley just isn't going it for me and also doesn't make a lot of sense as a 'wonder'.

Top Bottom