Which is your favorite Civ?

• Civ(the original)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Civ 2

Votes: 118 51.8%
  • Civ 3

Votes: 104 45.6%

• Total voters
I vote for Civ2. It's the better game. It's not even close.

Civ2 didn't become one of the most beloved PC games ever by accident. It's like a good book you don't want to put down. You really have an interest in what's going to happen next. And you recommend it to others without reservation.

Can anyone honestly say any of those things about Civ3? You can get the answer to that question just by browsing the Civ3 forums. They're peppered with annoyance, aggrevation, and frustration. Not a lot, but it's there. And it's too much.

I like the sneakiness in Civ2. Sometimes I swear I can imagine how George Patton felt while romping through occupied Europe, kicking ass, knowing that each time the German command would be shocked by learning his present location and fearful of the audacity of his attack.

I like the satisfaction of finding those perfect spots to build your first cities after groping in the dark with those early settlers.

I like the flexibility of deciding how you're going to approach the game this time, in this place, under these circumstances.

What happened to all that in Civ3? What were they thinking? Did they goof, or did they really intend to take the game in another direction? Too bad.

I guess someday there will be a Civ4, and I wonder which game the developers will try to emulate most. If they're smart, they'll go about it the way good authors go about writing good books. They'll consider the classics.

I've tried Civ3, liked the borders, and thought the strategic resources were an interesting idea.

But the Civ3 graphics are terrible -- you can't tell what resources are there by glancing at the map. And the corruption and bugs are horrible.

I loved Civ1 for many years, but Civ2 does seem much better. The combat system eliminates the desire to save - attack - loose - reload. The governments seemed to oversimplify Civ1, made it too easy, but now Civ2 governments seem better and more natural to me.

I wish they'd just sell a Civ2B, same rules and glitches but a smarter AI. It really only needs a few fixes. In the mean time, I'll stick with Civ2. Maybe freeciv is the answer, but not yet.

On the other hand, I understand there are many new Civ3 players that seem to like it, and that are very active posters.

even though I have both Civ2 forever! the damn ptw won't load

I like Civilization because it had the kick @$$ gameplay at it's era.
CIVII and CIVIII had some improvements without the eye widening change.

I had hope for some random generated animation for various unit battle for CivIII but it ain't there. :-(

The real answer will be demonstrated in a year or so, when we see how many of the people playing civ3 now, come back to civ2!!
;)

Agreed... What annoys me most about civ3 though, are the faces of the leaders and advisors... makes me feel like playing pizza tycoon... :D

I get a little sentimental from playing Civ1, and I really like the cultural growth and possibility to negotiate succesfully in Civ3, but there's always something that brings me back to Civ2. Maybe Civ1 is too little, Civ3 too much for me, but Civ2 is just the way I like it:)

Hmm, I think I just made the Civ2/3 votes neck and neck at 59 :) .

I love both, I play both, but I pick Civ2. It's flexibility allows for many games tailoring to each players strategies. And of course, there's the vast amount of scenarios and modpacks available which shows just how flexible the game can be.

I have Civ2 for playstatoin and it's so slow.:mad: I gess it's becuss of the playstatoin but any way for me, Civ3 is the best lol.

Civ 2 is definately my favourite. There are so many things in Civ 2 that are better than in Civ 3, all already pointed out by previous posters. I've played Civ 3 for a month or so, but it just wasn't by FAR as addicting as Civ 2. Civ 1 is great too by the way, but Civ 2 is the best!

From the very basics, CIV II is a far better game and piece of software.

CIV II:
1. The software takes seconds to load and get me to the main menu. CIV III has to change resolution seemingly three times to put some dumb intro graphic on my screen--I can hear my monitor snapping back and forth between the graphics modes... CIV III often hangs for me here...

2. I can run C2 in a window and EASILY toggle back and forth. It behaves like a standard windows app; I can view it with other windows apps simulateneously--not so with C3.

3. If I say I want to quit, there's a 95% I mean it. C2 assumes this with the default quit prompt--C3 assumes I want to go back to playing. This is just bad design.

4. C2 allows me to easily route units to far away cities via selecting the destination from a list. C3 forces me to use my mouse sometimes scrolling great distances across the map--sometimes 10 times in a row for newly created units I want to send to my front lines. This is absurd.

5. C2 has the perfect balance when performing tasks. Roads take just long enough to build, forests take just long enough to clear, etc. C3 takes forever to build anything.

6. C2 is simple to play yet difficult to play well--an excellent combination. C3 has too many rules... and they took away my favorite government--fundamentalist.

7. I can jump into a C2 game and be lost in concentration is minutes. C3 is not an extension of C2 but rather a transformation of the actual gameplay to something different. They could have simply improved C2 but instead they developed a new game on the old concepts leaving much of the good stuff behind. Simplicity works well.

I voted for Civ2. Mainly it's an issue of gameplay. The last time I played the original a few weeks ago, I got a little bored because there wasn't quite as much feeling in the game.

Civ2 is a classic: (relatively) good graphics combined with very good gameplay and dynamics. The original Civ was good, but not quite as good (the Armor and 4 Riflemen losing to a Knight on Mountain terrain the last time I played might have influenced that decision :D).

Of course, I haven't played Civ3 yet, but I've heard what they're saying about Spearman vs. Tank...

Civ3. only because in Civ2, I can be playing the Soviet Union in the Ww79 scenario and 2 turns into the game, China nukes me and allies with Western Europe and the USA.

It seems new life continues to be breathed into Civ2 by new discoveries of its game engine as the Great Library at Apolyton Civ2 Strategy forum shows. One always returns, as it were, to one's native soil after weary travels to some disappointing foreign gaming lands.

Top Bottom