Civ2 problems in win95 & win98

t0mme

Great Red One
Yesterday I bought Civ2, after playing illegal version for the last 7 years. But now I have a problem:

1. I can't install the game in Win98. The setup.exe for Civ2 doesn't work in the way Wingset doesn't work

2. On my other PC (win95) it installs just great. I don't get the message that the cd can't be found. The movies work and the council too, but the music doesn't. When I choose to pick the music, it says the cd isn't in!

Can somebody please help me? Would the 2.42 patch to the trick for problem nr.2?

Well, i don't exactly the answers. I've installed Civ2 in Win98 very good... but if this doesn't install, try to move the files from your CD to the hard disk and execute the program from the HD (install Wing and Indeo Video separately) :)

It still doesn't work. When I copy my files to my harddisk I can install the game, but not play it! I simply won't start.

btw, I can't install WinG and Indeo either. It gives a bootstrp (or something like that) error, even when I've copied them to my harddisk. The same error I get when I try to install Civ2 from the CD

Oh, and the patch doesn't solve problem nr.2

This sounds like you are having some big problems with your copy of Windows. Have you done the Windows Update to make sure everything is up to date?
Try rebooting the computer then shutting down any unnecessary processes in task manager, then try installing

Well, I managed to install Civ2 on Win98 and it works well. I installed the game via installe.exe which was in the Civ2 folder on the disc. Somehow WinG and Indeo were already installed on my pc.

But the second problem is still there. Both in 95 and 98 Civ2 tells me the CD is not in. Is it possible the audio-tracks are left out? My Civ2 copy is printed in 2001 in the "best of infogrames"-series.
(sys. req: P116, 32MbRAM, 4Mb video and soundcart, 8x CD-Rom drive - lol)

How about continue playing with your "illegal" version.
Only this time your conscience is clean AS LONG as you continue to OWN a *LEGAL* copy?

I used to have the same problem, but it was linked to the fact that I had a *not very good* DVD station. The few times it found the music files it used to play them too fast and just a lot of crappy noise. I thought it was the CD, but when I got a new computer with a CD-station the music worked just fine again.

So thats all you can do?!?!?!? Buy A new computer? A little costly for me.

A new CD drive will be cheaper ;)
(just joking!)
Anyhow Civ2 doesn't require the CD to play, only if you want videos and music.

I'd have to agree with the suggestion to run the "illegal version" now that you own the retail cd. From what i understand you can run any version you want as long as you own the retail CD.

And this ain't the first time someone has a warez version of a game working fine and they go buy the retail CD and it won't install no matter how much they try.

t0mme, I'm not quite sure of what you're telling me. Are you trying to tell us that it doesn't recognize the CD even when the CD is in the drive? If so, can't help you there.

But it sounds more like you tried to do a full install (like I did) and can't play the music without the CD. That is no problem. If you want the music that bad, play with the CD, or play your own, like I do.

Actually, I think the audio files aren't on the cd. I bought it in "The best of Infogrames"-series. Is there anybody else eho bought Civ2 in this serie and don't have the cd-audio?

Top Bottom