Civ3 (Chronicles) / Patches / Mods / GOTM / HOF etc.

SideshowBob

Ah, winter finally.
I hope this is the right forum for this post...

(Skip this paragraph if you're in a hurry, I'm in a talkative mood:D) The background of this post is a long and annoying story about how my Civ 3 Conquests CD exploded about a year ago in my CD player when I opened a Windows Explorer Window as my CD had a small crack in the middle... I was both angry and sad and could not understand why you need to use your CDs when playing instead of simply validating them online like you do with Windows for instance. Anyway there I was without Conquests and basically stopped playing Civ. Then I was cursed by some heavy on and off computer problems and finally on a cold but beautiful winter's day I found The Civ Chronicles and was sooo happy. All of a sudden I had backup on everything except for C3C and CIV 4 as I had everything else that came with the Chronicles box. Now I have my computer working again and started to install all the Civ (3) I have and...

Here's the actual post:

I have Civ 3 Vanilla and PTW. My expensive-original-Christmas present-Conquests :cry: is in shatters, and I would have bought another "back up copy" of C3C if one would ever have crossed my path somewhere else than on the net.

The Civ 3 in the Chronicles pack is not divided into Vanilla, PTW and C3C as I was hoping, so I can't use my old stand alones and simply install Conquests. Now I'm wondering, is this the same(ish) content as in Civ 2 Complete? It says I can play all versions of Civ 3 by installing the whole thing, but it is not recommended, and Conquests will be run as default. Can I patch these parts "normally"? Do I even need to do it? Can I install and use mods as I would have done with each of the Civ 3 parts as stand alones? Can I participate in Games OTM with this and Hall of Fame games?

Basically what I'm asking is (and it'll be a much easier to face the disappointment here, than uninstalling and installing everything just to find out that it's no good) will I be able to live a normal Civ-life with this Chronicles installation or do I need to start looking for a new copy of Conquests on the net.

I'm not familiar with Chronicles, but I'm hoping to pick it up to get Civ1 & 2 back.

Anyways, I would uninstall any old Civ3 program you may have, then install Chronicles. Or the Civ3 part, however it works.

I'm guessing that it runs Conquests as default like Complete does, and that would be Conquests version 1.22. But again, I'm not familiar with Chronicles, so I don't know for sure.

I'm not familiar with Chronicles, but I'm hoping to pick it up to get Civ1 & 2 back.

Funny how you can miss games, isn't it? :D

The CIv3 part of Chronicles is just CIv3 Complete. It needs no patching.

So uninstall your current Vanilla and PTW games (saving any data you want to keep) and install Chronicles/Civ3, and have fun. :)

Thanks for the advice Turner and Padma. I was so worried it might work somehow differently as the the games aren't installed separately. But if Civ 3 Complete is ok for the GOTMs (as I remember it there were/are rules about what versions to use) then everything is good. I'll just have a peek to see if I can change the popheads as I've done before and then I'll be off Civving for the first time in about nine months which feels more like years and years!

Thanks!

Top Bottom