Civ3 for Linux -- Anyone?

WOPR

Chieftain
I for one would *LOVE* to see a Linux port of Civ3. At this point, the only reason I still use Windows is for the "video game factor" -- I love video games and they're all made for Windows platforms.

Does anyone think there's currently enough of a Linux market to make OS ports profitable?

Also: Has anyone tried running Civ3 on Linux under WINE?

With Loki in the state they're in, and the sales record of linux CTP what it was, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I've yet to hear any wine success stories, and have yet to attemp it myself.
I agree, tho, civ3 is currently the only thing I boot into windows for at home. I'd actually be a bit afraid of a linux port, as I'd be really tempted to put it on my pc at work, which could only be a bad, bad thing ;)

Does anyone think there's currently enough of a Linux market to make OS ports profitable?

Well, lets put it this way - id port their games to linux anyway, but after the sales of the linux version Quake 3, there isn't even enough of a linux market to justify them putting the linux version of doom 3 in a box and trying to sell it.

So there certainly isn't enough of a market for Firaxis to bother porting Civ 3 to linux.

Id doesn't port their games to Linux.. They develop their games on Linux then port to windows.

I wouldn't try running civ3 under wine ;) Wine may be getting better, but it's probably nowhere near what's needed to run civ3.

Originally posted by narmox
Id doesn't port their games to Linux.. They develop their games on Linux then port to windows.

Untrue. Doom and Quake 1 were developed on NeXT systems. Quake 2 and Quake 3 were developed under windows using Visual Studio. If you read Carmack's plan files he's not exactly a fan of Linux as a development environment.

There is a game called Freeciv for Linux. Unfortunately, it's based more on Civ 2 than Civ 3. :(

You can download it here!

Originally posted by OneInTen

Untrue. Doom and Quake 1 were developed on NeXT systems. Quake 2 and Quake 3 were developed under windows using Visual Studio. If you read Carmack's plan files he's not exactly a fan of Linux as a development environment.

oh? I must've come from a parallel universe then....

you could always try wine.. on a lanparty me and 2 mates got Counterstrike (mod) Red alert 2, and a few other games to work under linux

When the multiplayer patch comes out there could be a server-side program to host a game on Linux-much like HLDS-but I doubt that a client-side Civ3 would be made.

On the other hand, if the Mac gets it, there's always hope!!!!!:lol:

Originally posted by narmox
oh? I must've come from a parallel universe then....
That's ok. We know it is cold up there and you forgot to put your toque on, eh?

As to Linux. I tried so hard to run linux but the Mandrake version just doesn't want to work with my video card (Matrox G400). I get graphics during the install of the OS but Xfree just won't work. I am going to try FreeBSD next, another UNIX clone. Maybe I should just change my video card. I am not too happy with Matrox's support of XP either.

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
That's ok. We know it is cold up there and you forgot to put your toque on, eh?

LOL. No, rather it's a seriously bad case of a strain of the gurlfriend virus that's starting to develop...

As to Linux. I tried so hard to run linux but the Mandrake version just doesn't want to work with my video card (Matrox G400). I get graphics during the install of the OS but Xfree just won't work. I am going to try FreeBSD next, another UNIX clone. Maybe I should just change my video card. I am not too happy with Matrox's support of XP either.

Hm, Matrox.. dunno... I never really had probs setting up X :)

Top Bottom