Civ4: NO "build-city" order anymore. ONLY "build colony" order

I hate this idea and, if it becomes reality, I will never buy a game with that setting. If Colonies could turn into cities, fine, but I want the settler-build city option.

but I want the settler-build city option

That should be moddible of course SO you can build cities.

Note that Firaxis might consider to start with settlers which build the first 2 cities and after that you can only gain new cities by florishing colonies.

I read through these posts a few times but don't grab the idea. From what I understand it is a silly concept. More random stuff (will it turn into a city, will it flip?) means less strategic thought, which is what the game is suopposed to be all about. Ultraworld, what you want can perhaps to some extent be modded but please leave the original game alone - with all respect, but suggesting to do it the other way around sounds a bit arrogant to me. I understand you are Dutch. I looked up the word 'settler' in an English-Dutch dictionary and it translates as 'kolonist'. Like somebody said above, the idea of colonies as something different than settlements is a nice Firaxian idea.

Hi Frissian Warrior (dutch too)?

I agree that my ideas are maybe a bit too drastic.

But what do you think about colonies flipping into cities?
If they would only add that too civ4 then I'll mod the rest myself.
Agreed :goodjob:

The fact that colonies in Civ3 don't require management make them very usefull and colonies should definately be in Civ4 again.

Like somebody said above, the idea of colonies as something different than settlements is a nice Firaxian idea

:) Exactly: a nice/good idea.

P.S. A bit surprised that you can build fortress on them.

Like I said, colonies flipping into cities is ridiculous as it adds more randomness. They are good the way they are, don't mess with them. Perhaps the terming has been unfortunate, should they have been called outposts, and every new settlement referred to as a colony. I agree the role of colonies in the game is a bit meager and sympathize with your efforts to make them more important, but not in this way. Cities need planning.

(dutch too)? No, Frisian. And one day you Dutch will pay for your arrogance. ;)

If colonies would have a harbor function by default than you can build colonies on seas and ocean squares to collect lux+strat-resources (eg oysters, oil) there the harbor connects them to the trade-network.

Top Bottom