Civ4Col Modders "Conference" [CANCELED]

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

anybody interested to meet live for a Civ4Col modding "conference"?
(By calling it "conference" we might get some tax refunding ... :mischief:)

Where:
I am pretty open actually to which country we would meet.
(I would try to organize most of it, but of course would appreciate any help.)

Duration:
Maybe something like a longer weekend? But again, I am pretty open to suggestions.
(Arrival on Thursday or Friday, departure on Sunday.)

Costs:
Well, everybody would pay for himself but we could e.g try to cook for ourselves and have activities that are not too expensive like e.g. hiking.
(And we could try to find a location that is relatively cheap like a hostel - which is pretty common in Europe.)

Date:
To be discussed as well.
(It may also depend on Corona situation.)

So what is this all about?

1. Having some fun and getting to know each other personally (sight seeing, beer drinking, good food, ...)
2. Share some knowledge about modding (secondary objective - but hey, we can not just drink beer all day)
3. Playing some Civ4Col with WTP in MP by creating a LAN

---

Well, I understand that all of you guys have family and jobs.
But I am also just talking about a couple of days and also not about spending too much.

Best regards
ray

Last edited:
It sounds awesome, but yeah chances of me being able to attend are pretty slim unfortunately

With my present family situation of having a small baby, I could at most imagine participating briefly should this happen in my hometown, which is very unlikely. A great initiative nonetheless.

As interesting as it sounds, I don't really see this happening. Ages ago I was invited to something like this. 30+ people were invited and like 5 showed up, all Dutch and they met in the Netherlands. The reason being it was planned to make students exploit free train rides meaning the people showing up were all getting transport for free and travel time was reasonable. Meeting internationally is a struggle even without travel restrictions and lockdowns.

I will also point out that everybody so far seems to have reasons to expect not being able to make it and sadly I will join that group. I too would have scheduling/practical issues if going to such an event.

It wouldnt be /as/ awesome, but maybe a social meet on zoom or such? If planned for a day I don't work, I could totally do that. I could host it, even, since I have the premium zoom used for my campaign stuff.

Acutally at least Central Europe is opening up again. You can really notice a difference also in mindset.
So I still have hope that after the flue season things are going to be back to normal here.

Most people in Central Europeans are all vaccinated and have the proofs digitally.
I already had my first business travels within Germany and it was almost like before.

Also the number of infected people is kind of under control in Central Europe.
The only big uncertainty is basically the flue season which could cause restrictions again.

----

But yeah, I am also aware that things look differently in other places around the World.
But a lot of us modders in the team are actually from Central Europe so I thought I might ask. :dunno:

... but maybe a social meet on zoom or such?
Most of us modders have already met several times on Zoom or other plattforms to plan releases, discuss concepts, solve issues or to do trainings.
(e.g. We did most of the training sessions of WTP academy with Zoom. And e.g. @Nightinggale and myself also discuss technical stuff with screensharing on Zoom occasionally.)

It is nice and was fun every time and we will do it again whenever we feel we have something to discuss. :thumbsup:
But people from community could also invite us if they have specific questions of course.

All it needs is somebody saying:

"Hey I would like to discuss this topic or simply get to know you guys.
I will make an "appointment finder" to figure out the best date and time for us.
Once I have set it up I will send you guys the link so you can tell your availability.
Of course I will consider time difference and try to figure out a compromise when I schedule the actual apppointment.
After that I will set up a conference in Zoom and send everybody who registered the invitation link here in a private conversation.
Looking forward to meet you guys."

---

See, it is easy. :)
Really not much effort to do.

Whenever a modder or community member wants to discuss with us other modders, all he needs to do is to invite.
It has already happened several times and normally at least a few of us showed up.

Key to make this happen successfully:
Post a link to an appointment finder to figure out availability.

---

I always use this "appointment finder" for all "large scale meetings" I organize:
(So if anybody interested in scheduling a meeting, look no further. It is a great online tool.)
https://www.dfn.de/en/services/dfnscheduler/

Do not worry, it is really trustworthy. (Your credentials and stuff like that are safe.) :thumbsup:
(It is a German non-profit organization doing research sponsored by German industry.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom