Civ5 crashes I click the Load Game button on Single player menu

Not sure if you've ever fixed it, but I've been having the same problem for over a year now. Best I can manage is to start steam in Offline mode and the load box appears without any issues.

For fix this problem :
Don't disable SteamCloud :)

People, the game is not fixed. Needs a general update (patch). Still the game crashes in late game when u play large and huge maps. 18 months after purchase the game ans stil crashes. what are they doing there ? Why WE have to do something? THEY have to fix these problems of their product. or not?

Not sure if you've ever fixed it, but I've been having the same problem for over a year now. Best I can manage is to start steam in Offline mode and the load box appears without any issues.
This problem is still exist here!
Same here, I can also get into load menu when steam is offline, but crashes when it is online no matter what I do.
I tried reinstall, update video card and delete all saves. I searched for a solution, turns out that a lot of people have the same problem, but most of them were due to the reason that their document location contains non latin charactors. But I don't have any non latin letters in it, and I also tried creating a new user with a username "a", still not working (btw, my os is win7 64x english version).

The only thing I noticed is that before I start game there always a message says "unable to sync my files with steam cloud". I did have this game installed in my previous PC, but that PC was broken like a year ago! and I haven't played steam since! is this going to be a problem?

Please help if there is any one still here?

It's been some time since anyone posted on here, but for anyone still having issues I believe I've found the fix.
I just recently started playing Civ 5 again after buying the Brave New World expansion, and discovered about 300 turns in that I couldn't load any saved game. The only workaround I've found is to run steam in offline mode. I've been able to finish several games, both with mods and without, even on huge maps, with absolutely no issues whatsoever.
*edit* also, I've disabled steam cloud saves, but I'm fairly certain it was steam in offline mode that is the source of the fix

Anyone still having this problem? Fix is simple, go offline play, then save the game to every single cloud save slot, then quit, now go online, all fiXed!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Hi all, my 2 cents here.
Fresh new Windows 8.1 installation, steam and civ 5 (all dlc), 1.0.3.144.
When I first enter the game, just hitting the load game button (single player) crash the game exactly as decribed by the OP.
After trying to check every driver, configuration etc, with no results, I enabled steam cloud on CIV 5, restarted the game ad all went well!
To test it, I exited and unchecked again the steam cloud checkbox on Civ 5. Reloading the game and no crash.

Please note:
1. fresh new installation means NO savegame on "my games"\ directory. Nothing but the directories and files automatically created by the game itself.
2. fresh new installation means HD formatted and NO restore from backup. All downloaded by steam application.
3. no other games installed. Only steam and Civ5.
4. steam cloud on civ5 was disabled because of the old installation. Steam account remember that this check box was unchecked.
5. I have only 1 civ 5 savegame on steam cloud so old I cannot even remember of it.. just checked it now to inform you :p.

I think that Civ5 simply need to test steam cloud contents at last one time, but it cannot handle the exception generated by the combination of:
- steam online
- brand new fresh installataion without copying "my games" contents and .ini files
- steam cloud disabled

After successfully checked the steam cloud, it save it on some .ini file around and all goes well.

Maybe some of you that got the error in a non-new installation had that .ini file corrupted or something?

Hope this help! Merry Xmas! :)

2018 and this bug still exists. If you run into this playing steam, go to settings > Cloud > and make sure you have enabled steam cloud save synchronization - otherwise C++ Crash as the client tries to find steam and can't.

Top Bottom