Civ6 GotM1 - Designated Victory Condition?

What should be the Designated Victory Condition for the first Civ6 GotM?

• Culture

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Domination

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Religious

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Science

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Score

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Looks like we will begin with Rome and that follows Game of the Month tradition, as Rome was the first civilization in both Civ4 and Civ5.

Working on maps with settings:
Difficulty level: King
Standard Size Continents Map (allow for some naval game play as well)
Standard Pace
7 opponents

What VC would you like to go for.
A three day poll as I hope to get a game posted for 1 November start.

Voting for Science, but would not be opposed to either Domination or Science (either/or, not one or the other).

Voted domination cause that's always the VC i ignore and then i'm bad at war for a long time :viking:

Budweiser, where's your old avatar? :eek:

Maybe if enough people vote for score we will have a 3rd poll to vote for number of turns. I should have voted score :groucho:

Haven't the game yet. Why we can't decide ourselves what victory we pursue?

Probably because if every victory is allowed, the competitive players will go for quick Domination or Religious victories.

(Also, your score isn't affected by what turn you finish on and it's really irritating me you can finish on Turn 175 and end up with a score of Dan Quayle.)

I voted culture, because afterall, Rome was the greatest cultural influence of western civilization. :)

Beginning with Civ5, we began a designated VC in order to make game more comparable. In addition, we choose fewest turns played for the determination of awards as we felt turns played was a better indication of efficient game play. It was later decided to also include top scores as a secondary criteria.

You may still choose to play whatever VC you wish. They all are included in the results. Please check the Civ5 GotM forum to for more details on how it has worked.

I have yet to go to war, so I would love to see a domination victory. It seems a domination victory is a bit more complication than it was in Civ V.

I vote culture just because it seems the least understood VC so far and I'd like us to learn more about it together :)

Is there a particular post that explains why having one victory condition was enabled in Civ V and later? I didn't find an explanation in the stickies in the Civ5 GOTM forum. It seems odd that it should be necessary to make it more comparable, particularly in a new game where there will likely be a lot of people playing the GOTM, and thus quite a few people going for each victory condition. The Civ III and IV GOTMs have always had all victory conditions enabled, with awards for the fastest finish in each category, and I've never once see anyone suggest that it was problematic. Although maybe I missed something in the Civ4 GOTM forum :dunno:.

Probably will be too involved in my Civ III GOTM to play, but if I do wind up picking up Civ VI soon I might join the GOTM. But I plan to play for whatever victory condition seems most appropriate in the game, and thus won't be voting on the poll.

I think the science victory is a good starting spot. Culture and religion seem to work very differently in civ 6. And domination focuses on the early game when we need to learn about the "whole thing." I'd like to play a few vanilla games, just to get the feel of it, before trying for the other types of victories and I'm looking forward to sharing this game with others too see how various strategies worked out in practice.

Is there a particular post that explains why having one victory condition was enabled in Civ V and later? I didn't find an explanation in the stickies in the Civ5 GOTM forum. It seems odd that it should be necessary to make it more comparable, particularly in a new game where there will likely be a lot of people playing the GOTM, and thus quite a few people going for each victory condition. The Civ III and IV GOTMs have always had all victory conditions enabled, with awards for the fastest finish in each category, and I've never once see anyone suggest that it was problematic. Although maybe I missed something in the Civ4 GOTM forum :dunno:.

As far as I know (and I think I understand you); most of the GOTM do leave ALL victory conditions enabled, so you are free to play however you wish. For comparison reasons, however; each game has a certain victory condition that competitive players try to outdo each other. The fastest science win, for example. You are still able to play the same game as a cultural victory; if you chose. You just can not 'win' fastest science victory that way, so you will need to compare your results to other players who are playing the same map with the VC you are going for.

Try this thread.

I went with domination on this one. My first two games finished in culture and science victories. This may be a fun new way to play (and is probably the best way to deal with the AI).

So if I understand correctly, the purpose (other than to have fun and understand the game, obviously) is to finish as soon as possible? If so, is replaying the map allowed/encouraged to optimize everything?

Probably because if every victory is allowed, the competitive players will go for quick Domination or Religious victories.
(Also, your score isn't affected by what turn you finish on and it's really irritating me you can finish on Turn 175 and end up with a score of Dan Quayle.)

Out of curiosity, what DOES affect your score?

is replaying the map allowed/encouraged to optimize everything?
No. The idea is to play once as best as you can but without prior knowledge of the map. Reloading to try another strategy or replaying is accepted but only for "non competitive entries". So you can only submit the first attempt and you can't reload to change your strategy (for instance if you realize you shouldn't have moved so close to the enemy lines during combat). You can however replay the map after you submit and tell us how it helped/didn't help you, but those replays won't be allowed for submission once the submission system is in place.
Out of curiosity, what DOES affect your score?
If it's like Civ5 : number of techs (big bonus for "future tech"), number of civics, number of cities, population, wonders (big impact on score), having your own religion ... probably more than that.
Fact is : you can get some really big score by avoiding victory long enough to research "future techs" multiple times and doing other non-optimal choices (like spamming wonders) which is why fast finish is often preferred (thought there have been GotM with limited turns and score IIRC)

Top Bottom