Civ6 now on iPhone7 and later

I won't knock it if it keeps Firaxis in business to release more Civ games in the future. Long as they don't dumb down the games. Civ6 is at about the right level of complexity.

I fear that is what they will do with Civ VII, make it easier to play on mobile. Heck, not only easier to play, but the mechanics altered to fit a mobile game.

Civ VII mightn't be developed with PC first in mind and an iPhone version later, it might be developed with the limited capabilities of a mobile phone in mind. *shudders*

@Disgustipated I have to say, that's a bit judgey.

I make regular use of my phone for pretty much any content other than extended full gaming or writing long documents. Music? Combine the phone with headphones for an excellent experience. Typing emails or comments online? Absolutley, short writing is easy, especially with Swype typing. I browse the web, watch YouTube and other videos, monitor scores, maintain easy communication, etc.

This doesn't mean I don't buckle down and focus when I am at work, or in other situations that I need to. And whenever I am somewhere where I can't use my pc, and not otherwise occupied, my phone is an excellent kill time. Waiting in line at the grocery store? Sitting on a subway shuttle or bus? Waiting for an appointment? Basically any kind of waiting, really. The smart phone is an excellent medium (especially larger screen smartphones).

And among those past times, gaming is a significant one. Do I expect a full experience? No. Generally the power requirements and tools are uncomfortable or unfit for small devices. That said, would I love something like Civ VI when I am sitting on a plane, such that a laptop is impractical? You betcha, and I will embrace things moving in that direction full heartedly.

I have to say, that's a bit judgey.

I apologize for being judgey. Being on a plane is a good example, but then again I just choose to read. Not that I fly very much any more. Same thing with a doctor's office or whatever. Reading is not so bad. :) As for games, I would just get frustrated playing something on an inferior device. Games can wait until I get home.

I apologize for being judgey. Being on a plane is a good example, but then again I just choose to read. Not that I fly very much any more. Same thing with a doctor's office or whatever. Reading is not so bad. :) As for games, I would just get frustrated playing something on an inferior device. Games can wait until I get home.
I can definitely relate to preferring to read in those situations! I love reading, and often have several books and ebooks/other digital reading content I'm going through at any time. For me, my phone is useful for that- but that's definitely not for everyone.

And yeah, I can definitely see how it would be frustrating. I wouldn't enjoy a full game the same way myself when I have either option (I generally prefer larger maps that I work through slowly, with sprawling empires that would be horrific on a mobile device).

Interesting, but it must consume a lot of energy on an iPhone....how long can one play without needing to plug the phone in?

I'm reluctant to play a game like Civilization on a touch screen device. My biggest concern it not being able to hover the mouse over something and get tool-tip information.

I laughed out loud when I read this. I hope that was the response you intended to elicit!

I actually don't own a smart phone (waste of money)

That's the most Trump-tweet looking sentence I've seen on this forum, it just Lacks random Capitalization.

Basing the critique of a whole technology and a device that represents it on your own, personal experience seems terribly narrow-minded. I would actually love to be able to play a functional version of Civ on my smartphone and hence I would welcome an Android version.

Interesting, but it must consume a lot of energy on an iPhone....how long can one play without needing to plug the phone in?
Yes it heated up the phone quite a bit. I would keep expectations low - I don’t think you’ll be playing this without a power source.

I have the IPad version so simply “ Restored Purchases” to get it on my IPhone 8. Just having a play with the Romans on a tiny Continents map. Some minor interface updates for the phone to improve visuals on the City Screen, otherwise exactly the same as the IPad version. Bearing in mind that my battery is new and healthy, I’m getting at least 2 hours play before it goes down to 50%. I’ll trial this aspect more in days to come.

I guess that once a user is familiar with the game in the first place, that seeing the game on a smaller screen becomes naturally easier. I’m just amazed that I can now play Civ 6 anywhere on a Mobile. I haven’t played Civ on a large screen since my Civ 4 days, so I’m unable to make comparisons with the fully fledged PC/ Mac versions. However, I do fail to see how anyone can complain about the quality of the graphics here, I mean I can see the finest detail in the maps etc. I guess that expectations have escalated to dizzying heights in the last few years and I’m not knocking that, but as we all know graphics don’t make a game in the first place. Think back to Civ 1 on Dos. The graphics were truly blocky, but look how successful that was. In comparison the latest version of the game is truly marvellous.

I have mentioned this before in a previous post but had left Civ behind several years ago as I was spending too much time upstairs in the office on the PC which irritated the wife. I can now at least provide some company to my wife whilst I sit with her and conquer a neighbouring city. ( In the event of a divorce , the things I would be able to hang on to would be my copies of Civ for the PC )

Whilst I will have to agree that a PC/Mac version will be superior graphically, the gameplay remains the same with very minor omissions on the mobile version such as movement on the Leader screens. I am just waiting for the latest updates to the Vanilla version and of course R & F.

Last edited:
That's the most Trump-tweet looking sentence I've seen on this forum, it just Lacks random Capitalization.

Basing the critique of a whole technology and a device that represents it on your own, personal experience seems terribly narrow-minded. I would actually love to be able to play a functional version of Civ on my smartphone and hence I would welcome an Android version.
I am presently playing with the Romans on Prince and on a tiny continental map. I have no difficulty whatsoever playing on a small screen ( IPhone 8 ) I wear a good pair of spectacles as I’m aged 65 years. With the specs no problem at all. Many members may not have “ Corrected vision” which without there will of course be issues. Maybe I have a very good imagination, but I still perceive the scale of the map despite the physical size. In summary; the game is immensely playable on the small screen. I would advise to take care of how much time to spend on the game if you are out and about and without a power source to tap into. With a full and healthy a battery playtime should be 4 hours to empty.

See my earlier comments. Have fun!

Not exactly excited about Civ VI heading to iPhone. My honest opinion is that it cheapens the Civ franchise. Or at the very least Civ VI.

I don't anticipate anybody on here playing Civ VI on iPhone.
Hi Leatherface, I don’t believe that the widening availability of the game on alternative and mobile devices will cheapen the game. I have yearned for this recent emancipation of the game to evolve via new technology for several years now. Don’t forget that Civ Revolution happened some years ago now and that was a somewhat minimised rendition of the game. ( Still damn hard to beat on Deity though ) in the case of Civ V1 there is no question of “Dumbing down” or cheapening the game. Have fun!

ArsTechnica has a review with screenshots.

Still no R&F, but earlier DLCs are included, in fact it is the same as released earlier for iPad.
And one purchase is valid for both.

Trying it out on the X; feels very much like the iPad version. Full game. Seems to go thru the battery faster than on my iPad.

I wish we had R&F, and I also wish I could easily continue games between devices. At least between IPad and iPhone for now, and Mac once the iOS version gets R&F.

Trying it out on the X; feels very much like the iPad version. Full game. Seems to go thru the battery faster than on my iPad.

I wish we had R&F, and I also wish I could easily continue games between devices. At least between IPad and iPhone for now, and Mac once the iOS version gets R&F.
I agree with you regarding Battery drain. I can play on the IPad for 2-3 hours and have 50% power left but drain on my IPhone 8 is far heavier. I wouldn’t play on my mobile if I was out and about and reliant on the phone. It’s fine for a 30 minute play or maybe an hour dependant on the initial battery charge. It would all depend on wether a power supply is going to be available I suppose. I haven’t tested the phone for battery longevity with the Bluetooth and WI- Fi disabled which would save a little energy I reckon.

I fear that is what they will do with Civ VII, make it easier to play on mobile. Heck, not only easier to play, but the mechanics altered to fit a mobile game.

Civ VII mightn't be developed with PC first in mind and an iPhone version later, it might be developed with the limited capabilities of a mobile phone in mind. *shudders*

Mobile phones don't have "limited capabilities" anymore, unless you choose to buy a cheap underpowered one. The iPad pretty of Civ 6 runs just as well as it does on my friend's gaming computer, and is faster to load.

Touch screens are terrible and a vastly inferior input device to keyboard/mouse. Even a controller is bette

Even watching youtube videos on my tablet is too small. I can't make out the details. And then the touch screen. Typing emails on my tablet is the worst experience ever. I admit I don't have the most steady finger, and far too often I hit the wrong key. This is why I could never ever game on a touch screen device. I can be much more precise with a mouse (though I occasionally misclick there too) and keyboard.

Sounds to me like you're not using an iPad (which is what this forum is about) but a tiny Android tablet. Certainly on the iPad Pro, the touch interface is much better than mouse & keyboard for Civ 6. The display is plenty big enough for the game. And the keyboard, irrelevant to this game, is big enough and responsive enough to touch type on.

Yes, as soon as I learned about the iPhone version, I thought they might have common saves for iPad and iPhone, but no such luck, so far.

Controls feel quite easy and comfortable to use, but the battery, my poor battery - the power indicator on my 7 just goes down as I look. I doubt if it would last more than 2 hours, maybe even not that long.
Anyway, it is nice to know that now you have an option to play some Civ6 in all circumstances - have a "proper" gaming session on a gaming PC/Mac/laptop, in bed or on a plane/train on the iPad, and on public transport or somewhere else more secluded on your phone.

Also, R&F would be very much appreciated - now it feels like a time travel back into the era of long forgotten mechanics and bugs.

Top Bottom