1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6_Map_Utility 1.5.0

Easily create custom map sizes, add external map types (scripts) - No xml file modifications.

1. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

I am almost 100% sure that map wrap setting is handled within scripts. I think you can disable map wrap on any script so creation of Europe like map would be relatively easy.

But on that note I was going to look into map wrap and possibility of wrapping x and y axis instead of just x, but I am not sure if it's even possible.

pippolo likes this.
  2. Gav

Gav Chieftain

Is it possible for a utility like this to output files in a mod structure rather than base game files?

3. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

Unfortunately I don't believe so - at least not fully. Civilization seems to have 2 databases created -
    One is a configuration database and other is a gameplay database.

Essentially you can modify anything within gameplay database with normal mod structure and during gameplay - .modinfo and all that in documents directory.
    When it comes to the editing of configuration database, nothing I found was able to edit it while game was loaded - other than placing required files within configuration directories and loading the game, like my tool does currently.

As such while technically possible to 'add' mod for those map sizes/map scripts (I'll be uploading update shortly), it only splits the necessary files to 2 places and brings no benefits as it would require you to re-start the game to see effects of the mod - btw this is theoretical as i assume that I could make a lua script to 'add and remove files' - but it seemed 'hacky' at best and super inconvenient besides.

On the other hand...in case i misunderstood the question...
    If you mean if it's possible to write a utility to 'output' files in mod structure - but not anything related to configuration database, then in essence yes as it's simple XML file structure written to a file, but you'd have to have specific (idea) of what you want to output (as in mod contents).

I guess it would be relatively easy to make a universal app for 'creating' mods if one wanted to spend time looking into, but I do not have plans for that for now.

Hope this answers your question.

4. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

pippolo likes this.
  5. gwillewyn

gwillewyn Chieftain

I've tried to make a large map with no city states. I've set them to max 0, min 0, and default 0, and confirmed that that's what it says in the XML, but my map is still riddled with City States. Any idea what might cause that?
    Code:
    <GameInfo>
      <MapSizes>
        <Row MapSizeType="MAPSIZE_NO_CITY_STATES" Name="NO_CITY_STATES" MinPlayers="2" MaxPlayers="5" DefaultPlayers="4" MinCityStates="0" MaxCityStates="0" DefaultCityStates="0" SortIndex="115914548340075" />
      </MapSizes>
    </GameInfo>

6. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

I cannot check it right now as I'm away from home and with no access to Civilization to test it. I can make guesses that somewhere it doesn't like number 0 - does it work correctly when you set it to 1 or 2?

To be completely honest with you, I kinda gave up on modding civ for now as such random effects appear a little too often for my liking within modding.
    I've been working on mod to adjust districts, units and effects based on the district built within city - found a table that appeared to be doing what i wanted exactly - testing in game and seemed to work on default (religious units). Despite that for some reason as soon as i add my own units only half of the table is ever used...so again kinda not sure why anything does anything in civ and it seems a bit troublesome to figure it out without source code to find exactly where the chain gets broken...

Currently entertaining an idea of making my own strategy game so I assume I will not touch civilization in quite a while.

Sorry, could not be of more help at this time.

7. gwillewyn

gwillewyn Chieftain

I tried the same thing with the original game files, changing all the values to 0, and that didn't work either. I'll try changing values to 1 and see if that makes any difference.
    I'm trying to make a game like I liked it in the days of Civ 5, with no City States and no Spying, and I can't find mods for either. :/

Edit: Nope, happens when values are set to 1 as well. :( There's at least two city states on my map.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  8. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

In that case I cannot say I know why that happens - Not being very familiar with xml modding and this being my first tool there is always a possibility i have made a mistake somewhere, but i'd say more likely is possibility that the number 2 is hard coded somewhere as default number.
    If i have time next week I might look into this, or maybe removing city states and spying with mod...i suspect it will be easier to simply remove them from the table at load time. If i dont get back to you within few days - sorry, probably forgot.

9. gwillewyn

gwillewyn Chieftain

You're cleared of all charges. I've been playing around, editing the default maps, and the same problem happens. There seem to be no way to disable them. :(

10. FlashXAron

FlashXAron Chieftain

... so I see you have the same problem as XNAMP has with CS, sometimes there are 20 on the map , sometimes 10 ...

at least have you found a code, which SHOULD set CS to a minimum , as I want for that Europe map at least 17 cs ?

11. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Chieftain

Modifying the amount of city-states doesn't seem to be working for me. the uploaded photo shows you what my values are. Basically what I am trying to do is play a game with two AI civilizations and all of the city-states. The game seems to only give me the amount of city-states that is standard to the AI civilizations count. Untitled.jpg

12. iluzek

iluzek Chieftain

This tool was designed so that you can experiment with values and quickly generate 'template ' for the values as seen in original files without modifying them - and it appears to work with some 'edge cases having issues'.
    Those numbers however might or might not work as expected as I believe that there is more internal logic that works with those values like:
    - distance between city states/cities
    - size of the map
    -possible location for certain nations(like terrain preference)
    -some random number selection

In short, I'm not sure I can do anything about that at this point. In addition I believe that it would take me way too much time to attempt it without proper access to the source code and how it all relates to the database values, even then probably would take ages to understand the design.

I do not expect any more work to be put into this tool, unless someone found answers to the problems and offers them for me to update the tool.

13. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

In assignstartingplots.lua the number of minor civs (aka city states) for a map is defined like this:
    Code:
        local iDefaultNumberPlayers = MapSizeTypes[sizekey] or 8;
        self.iDefaultNumberMajor = iDefaultNumberPlayers ;
        self.iDefaultNumberMinor = math.floor(iDefaultNumberPlayers * 1.5);

Basically this means that the game looks at the number of default players for the map and tries to place 1.5 times that number of city states. It doesn't scale with the number of actual players nor does it ready any of the values for city states that you can define in the db. So a standard size map with 8 default players will always try to place 12 city states even if you only have 4 players on the same sized map. The game will place players before city states so if you cram a bunch of extra players onto a map you might have fewer city states.

I'm working on a solution to this in my "Larger Worlds" mod but it isn't as simple to do that as it was in civ 5 with some of the changes to map scripts, like not being able to define the world size per script...