Civics Discussion - switch to Slavery when available?

I have yet to use a whip in Civ4. But always switch to slavery as soon as it comes around, really, don't know why, it does not seem to worth it.

Let's not infect our game with 21st Century morals! ;) It's 2400 BC and I for one have no problem with enslaving those less fortunate than ourselves. A certain amount of whip cracking may be required to make the idle buggers work. But it should be withheld from any slaves who appear to enjoy it! :lol:

Look at all the great things the Romans did for the world and they positively loved a spot of slavery! :king:

I'm with DZ and Black_Hole, and whoever else who posted in this thread opposing slavery! (i just skimmed the thread) There is a difference between a single player game and a Democracy game. In a single player game, you are playing a computer game, which has no effect on real life. Here, we are trying to recreate a democratic government, using Civilization 4. If we truly want to think of ourselves as running a nation, and not playing a game, then do what you would do in real life. Oppose the slavery civic! Although this is only an internet forum, and not real life, think about what else we have set up here. We have political parties, we constantly go in and out of role playing when discussing issues, so why shouldn't we view choosing civics the same way? Don't go by what makes the game easier, but by what a Democracy Game is all about!

*holding whip behind his back* Umm... yay... Who wants slavery. ;)

Shall i poll this soon?

Just post in the censor thread a request!

Slavery sucks!

When this gets polled, I'd like to see multiple options.

-- Switch to Slavery, whip at Governor's discretion
-- Switch to Slavery, require Assembly approval to whip
-- Switch to Slavery, whipping is not allowed
-- Do not switch to Slavery
-- Other
-- Abstain

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
When this gets polled, I'd like to see multiple options.

-- Switch to Slavery, whip at Governor's discretion
-- Switch to Slavery, require Assembly approval to whip
-- Switch to Slavery, whipping is not allowed
-- Do not switch to Slavery
-- Other
-- Abstain

-- Ravensfire

I dont think we need such different options, we should just poll the switch first, we can later poll just whether we are going to whip or not. so poll options should be

Switch to Slavery
Do not switch to Slavery
Other
Abstain

This way we dont get the results spread over people who might want slavery on different conditions.

But that's limiting my choice - for example, if I know that whipping will require Assembly approval, I'll vote for the switch. If I don't know that, I'll vote against Slavery.

From an RP perspective, Slavery is an institution appropriate to this time, and reflects an improvement over current condititions. The use of "encouragement" to get more productivity our of our citizens should ONLY be used under the most dire circumstances. Hence my view point on the poll options.

Heck, take the three options and use cumulative voting on them.

-- Ravensfire

I don't like Slavery, so i would prefer a NO-SWITCH strategy... People are more efficient when their not forced to work, but instead doing their job by their own free will.

So, don't switch to Slavery no matter the price ^_^

my answers to Robbo:
Attack, Burn, Pillage, don't threaten, don't ask, yes.

We don't threaten to use Nukes. We should use Nukes early and often. And don't ask for tribute, we should demand it.

It is only a matter of time before the Mongolians and later the Germans attack us. The war will go a lot better if we initiate the war and attack when and how it is best suited to help us. If we need to have slavery to help accomplish this, then we need to start it asap.

Whiping slaves to death should only be used in emergency cases. If you whip a slave to death, who will help me get dressed in the morning, clean my house, or make my breakfast?

ravensfire said:
But that's limiting my choice - for example, if I know that whipping will require Assembly approval, I'll vote for the switch. If I don't know that, I'll vote against Slavery.

From an RP perspective, Slavery is an institution appropriate to this time, and reflects an improvement over current condititions. The use of "encouragement" to get more productivity our of our citizens should ONLY be used under the most dire circumstances. Hence my view point on the poll options.

Heck, take the three options and use cumulative voting on them.

-- Ravensfire

I see what you mean, then how about instead of the 3 options knock it own to 2
slavery with whipping
slavery without whipping

then afterwards we can decide just how/when we should crack the whip.

GeorgeOP said:
my answers to Robbo:
Attack, Burn, Pillage, don't threaten, don't ask, yes.

We don't threaten to use Nukes. We should use Nukes early and often. And don't ask for tribute, we should demand it.

[snip]

Whiping slaves to death should only be used in emergency cases. If you whip a slave to death, who will help me get dressed in the morning, clean my house, or make my breakfast?

I think we have the right guy in charge of intelligence.. .:mischief:

BCLG100 said:
I see what you mean, then how about instead of the 3 options knock it own to 2
slavery with whipping
slavery without whipping

then afterwards we can decide just how/when we should crack the whip.

That works for me!

-- Ravensfire

Amen to dat

We may not actually want to whip our citizens, but being lower cost to run was mentioned earlier in this thread. I have not dared open the save (too many potentially visible floodplains) so have some questions:

How long will it take to switch so what will we lose in the changeover?

What are the cost savings to be made once we do switch?

Furiey said:
How long will it take to switch so what will we lose in the changeover?

What are the cost savings to be made once we do switch?

We're spiritual so the change will be immediate. Not sure on the cost saving though.

We are going to adopt the civic, and the poll for how the use it is now up Here

Top Bottom