Civil War Live Stream

My main disappointment is the Dutch. To me that is the second weakest UA in the game now. IF they actually fix happiness, thus giving India a real bonus, it will be the worst. The AI never initiates luxury trades with the player and rarely has stuff to trade. They trade it all amongst themselves. Their UA has its name stolen by a National Wonder and is by far the worst of the trade UAs. Add in the very limited number of polders I usually get as the Dutch and they are really a bland civ. Here have a good naval UU you don't need and about 4 :c5production: 8 :c5gold: at economics. WEEEAK.

The Polders are awesome and the naval UU is great for coastal conquest. The Dutch don't need a good UA or they would be overpowered. They have that in common with the Mongols.

Civs are balanced by considering all the Us together, and the Netherlands are just fine. I suspect that they simply don't mesh with your playstyle. When I use them, I find them very powerful, mostly due to the Polder and Sea Beggar.

It isn't a very bad UA: I see it as a happiness bonus in the early game (when it is very welcome). It is like selling 120 :c5gold: worth of happiness for 240 :c5gold.

Remember - in BNW you can't trade for raw gold without DoF. So Dutch could sell their last resource in 2 cases:
- If they found someone with more than 1 resource.
- If they DoF someone.
Selling luxuries to zero in this circumstances becomes quite difficult. And the problem with UI and UU is that they don't fit with UA and each other in any consistent way.

Sorry for the offtopic :(

Deliberately releasing information on a completely transformed France and then keeping mum is hype. They knew the effect it would have on the community. They also talked about how big the changes were in the stream. Not all hype is about making grandiose statements. Next thing you will say releasing civs piecemeal is not hype since they don't tout how awesome they are continually.

As to the Dutch I usually get 4 or fewer polders a game unless I cook the map. The food is misleading since you have to factor in the farm you could have otherwise built. As for Sea beggars yeah they are strong. However the AI is utterly and completely ******ed at naval combat. Add in that ranged naval units are even stronger than their land counterparts and privateers are meh for me. So I have a UA that I rarely use, since the AI rarely has multiple copies of its luxuries available, and even then usually of the one that saturates their territory. Most of its extras is traded among the other AIs ignoring the human and taking place on the interturn. I can trade it for gold but now that will be gpt and devalued weakening the value.

Overall a weak civ that is strongest in a very uninteresting part of the city.

I don't know (remember) about that, but from 2020 and on there are two turns per year (standard speed).

I don't know about standard speed, but in Marathon the turns start hitting mid-year around the 1960s and every month in the 1980s or so. It's been like that since vanilla. And it indicates how bad I am that my games run that long.

Oh that explains it. I usually play on Standard speed and I can't recall playing a game of Civ V that lasted that late.

Deliberately releasing information on a completely transformed France and then keeping mum is hype. They knew the effect it would have on the community. They also talked about how big the changes were in the stream. Not all hype is about making grandiose statements. Next thing you will say releasing civs piecemeal is not hype since they don't tout how awesome they are continually.

As to the Dutch I usually get 4 or fewer polders a game unless I cook the map. The food is misleading since you have to factor in the farm you could have otherwise built. As for Sea beggars yeah they are strong. However the AI is utterly and completely ******ed at naval combat. Add in that ranged naval units are even stronger than their land counterparts and privateers are meh for me. So I have a UA that I rarely use, since the AI rarely has multiple copies of its luxuries available, and even then usually of the one that saturates their territory. Most of its extras is traded among the other AIs ignoring the human and taking place on the interturn. I can trade it for gold but now that will be gpt and devalued weakening the value.

Overall a weak civ that is strongest in a very uninteresting part of the city.

This goes for Stealth_nsk too: I forgot about the gpt changes. Indeed, then it gets a nerf. Still, it suits my playstyle very feel, even though the bonuses don't seem to synergize, they get some good benefits on growth, naval conquest and trading. I like them as they are. About the food from the farms, if we are talking about marshes, there will probably be some grassland around to farm, if it is about farms, then improve it and replace it with a polder later. Even then, I can see some synergy: get some coastal cities that have new luxuries with your Beggars, sell them for more happiness/lump DOF sum/gpt; you'll get some luxuries = happiness or gold. With the extra happiness, your cities might grow a bit more, and the Polders help with that. They are a bit generic, but they can be powerful. I won't continue this discussion here, as it is very tangential to the subject, but feel free to PM me about this! :)

Am I the only one dying to know what the Chateau does?? AAAarrrrrgh!!!

I'm very curious about that too! We've seen it only built on archeological sites. Perhaps it gives the landmark bonus + the artifact? 2 artifacts? Both? :crazyeye:

It's more than likely a UI that provides extra tourism.

No. We already know it provides culture and gives tourism only with Hotel (and, probably, Airport). Though it needs more details as it's likely to have some additional property like defensive bonus.

SO they increased unhappiness so now I get rebels if i get below 0 unhappiness that sounds not fun and balanced ?

Really? Huge penalties if you get below 0 ?

The Polders are awesome and the naval UU is great for coastal conquest. The Dutch don't need a good UA or they would be overpowered. They have that in common with the Mongols.

Civs are balanced by considering all the Us together, and the Netherlands are just fine. I suspect that they simply don't mesh with your playstyle. When I use them, I find them very powerful, mostly due to the Polder and Sea Beggar.

Polders are situation, Sea Beggar isn't that good of a UU considering range warfare is overpowered. Just because the Uniques are good (which they aren't) doesn't entail for a crappy UA. Anytime I get Dutch in multiplayer it just means I'm playing a generic faction.

Oh man, I love the Dutch in G&K. You don't trade luxes for luxes, you trade luxes for $$$ thus becoming hilariously wealthy. With all that extra gold you can build an army, rush buildings or build yourself a giant gold vault to go swimming in. My latest game I didn't get a single polder. Not one. Sea beggars are ridiculously good (was playing small continents) and I was filthy rich even without the polders. Here's the simple strategy:

Trade lux for gold > buy settler for gold > settle new lux > trade lux for gold > buy settler for gold > settle new lux > trade lux for gold > buy settler for gold > settle new lux > trade lux for gold > buy settler for gold > settle new lux > trade lux for gold > buy settler for gold > settle new lux > trade lux for gold > ad infinium

With all those luxes you will make Scrooge McDuck look like a pauper.

Uuuughhh I was afraid we wouldn't hear anything about Japan. Can we get a beaker here people? *fingers still crossed* I can't tell you how much it would satisfy me to see the comforting blue hues of the :c5science: symbol in the Japanese UA.

Wait..was there some hint that Japan would be changed? Don't get me wrong, I'm Captain Change the Old Civs™ and I would love for them to get some love but is this speculation or did you see or hear something about it?

Wait..was there some hint that Japan would be changed? Don't get me wrong, I'm Captain Change the Old Civs™ and I would love for them to get some love but is this speculation or did you see or hear something about it?

My own ongoing hope is all. Source: Me myself and I. By the way, since you've trademarked, how would you like to incorporate and start hiring? ;)

The way I feel is that the only exciting new beakers Japan will see will be the ones from your ITR with Assyria. SNAP. There's a real new domination civ.

My own ongoing hope is all. Source: Me myself and I. By the way, since you've trademarked, how would you like to incorporate and start hiring? ;).

Sure thing but I'm pretty certain we will quickly be in financial trouble based on recent events....maybe we can file for bankruptcy and reform as Make the Civ 6 Civs good enough to last the inevitable power creep corporation™

I gotta hand it to those XCoM guys though, that last ad was hilarious! I lol'd

Kate, if you're reading this, the next time you do one of these videos, could you please turn down your speakers so Ed and Dennis won't be drowned out by the sounds of combat?

Top Bottom