Civilians Destroyed Instead of Capture

Chibisuke

Warlord
I'm not sure if this was something implemented in a patch, since I haven't seen anyone talking about it. I have noticed lately that sometimes when I defeat an enemy unit (sometimes in a city, sometimes out on land), and they have a worker or settler with them, the worker or settler gets destroyed rather than captured. Is this a new feature? A bug?

Make sure you don't capture the city with a battering ram or siege tower attached to your unit. The support unit will overwrite the civilian unit as only one can occupy a tile.

I considered that too, but I'm playing a game now and I simply captured the city with a warrior. The city had a warrior and settler camping inside. After I captured, the settler was destroyed.

I even tried doing it with the city still having some health left vs the city having no health left. Both times, the settler was destroyed.

It seems to happen randomly. Sometimes you capture a unit and other times you don't (and this is without a support unit). I have not been able to spot a pattern

Also, if you have a great general or admiral attached to the capturing unit, the captured civilian unit will disappear. And I don't think I've ever successfully captured an embarked civilian unit.

I have. The only times when this becomes a problem are when you don't have shipbuilding yet - the unit gets stuck forever.

This happened to me in my current game with Norway; is there really no way to ever use those units?

I just had this issue in my current game. Moved a Frigate onto a Settler and the Settler just disappeared. I reloaded and moved a Caravel onto it and captured it. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom