1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 1 for SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive!!! :O

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Blake00, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

OMG! Was not expecting to see this in my news! This fan project looks to be heavily influenced by the Super Nintendo Civilization game and has already released a public beta!

I still have my SEGA Mega drive and still collect games for it (including homebrew) so I hope this awesome project gets finished!

EDIT: I just noticed he thanks CivFanatics in his original forum post so is the author here??

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/08/civgen-ambitious-project-to-bring.html

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. tupi

tupi Chieftain

Well it's me, Mario. I didn't expect it to spread any further than a topic on a emu-land for now, though. Civgen is no way 'beta', but purely 'alpha'. Even though Darkpanda disassembled AI units logic and sorta kinda wrote it in pseudocode, I will really struggle with AI. I almost froze development of this, too. I really want to do this like all day everyday, but this is not possible now.

I'm not even a professional programmer, and that's one of the reasons I don't want to open the source code for now. It's just bad. And most my comments in Russian btw. And it's certainly pretty troblesome for me to write changelog or info about controls scheme in English. But I think controls scheme mostly is pretty straightforward and easy to guess. X,Y,Z,MODE are used, but almost exclusively for debug options (in normal game you also can change taxes with these buttons - it's faster than to use a menu). You can play it with 3-button controller totally fine.

By the way, big thanks to darkpanda, Gowron, SWY, axx, Tristan C, mize, Dack and other guys from here.

Also, it's possible to play human vs human now, on some emulators it's even possible to do this online.

I don't have any reports from real hardware for now (flashcard, I mean), I only tested it on emulators, even if some of them are pretty precise.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  3. Blake00

Blake00 Prince Supporter

Hi Tupi! So you are here at CivFinatics! Awesome! I've been waiting for ages for my account on that forum you post at to be approved. I think it has now though so I'll go post there too.

The work you're doing is amazing mate, especially if you're not a programmer. May still be some wisdom in opening the code on github so programmers can help. Nothing to be embarrassed about! I wish I was a programmer so I could help!