Civilization 4

dshamand

Chieftain
According to the magazine "Computer Gaming World" Civilization IV is expected to be released in 2005 by Atari.

This is all the info there was. It was listed in the pipeline, pg 48, which has release dates of upcoming games.

Originally posted by truckingpete
Finally...Whoa!! I better get get good at Civ3 first!! Only a year to get good!!!

*starts practicing*

I hope, *THEY* take their time to get good....:(

There will have to be considerable improvements in all aspects of the game to get my money for it.
Especially:
Quality of the game - it should be bugfree
Quality of the AI - it should not need restrictions for the human player
Quality of the game logics - combat system, corruption concept are just some of the features which require massive rework

I will do quite some reading of the first experiences, before I am willing to spend another 50 bucks for that series.

Originally posted by Commander Bello

Quality of the AI - it should not need restrictions for the human player

Let's hope the first P6 - 30,000 GHZ computers are videly available then ;)

@Truckingpete: If you get good at it, would you mind posting a FAQ? I'm not sure I'll have enough time to practice :D

Sounds like they will be pushing it if they are trying to get it out the door that soon (especially since so much of their workforce is tied up with Pirates).

My little opinion/prediction. :)

Quality of the game logics - combat system, corruption concept are just some of the features which require massive rework

The biggest improvement IMHO will be in the direction of "economical warfare/economical victory/economically way to play" ... something that is TOTALLY missing now ( except the negating of resources/luxuries, but that's all ).

Regards

Please go let the AI be more intelligent in Civ4. That is the most important feature that needs to be improved. No mroe insane bonuses for the Ai on more difficult levels, well maybe some bonuses, but just have the AI play more aggressively and make its decisions more intelligently then it does now.

All I know is that when it is released I'll be buying it........ a month or two afterwords when it goes on sale for 9.95. :)

Also by then there should be at least one patch that fixes several of the bugs that were published to meet a quarterly release date.

Its too soon.

I would prefer it in 2006 and they take the time to get it right.

I still remember the disapointment of Heroes of Might and Magic IV when they rushed that out of the door. It has the chance to be the best game ever but ended up barely adequate. A number of years later with map makers designing round the deficiencies of the game it is better.

Fraxis need to get the AI sorted out. They need to look at the succession games to see hoe the human can take advantage of the poor AI.

This is the computer gaming industry. Announcing for 2005 probably *really* means 2006.

Originally posted by Chris1111
All I know is that when it is released I'll be buying it........ a month or two afterwords when it goes on sale for 9.95. :)

Also by then there should be at least one patch that fixes several of the bugs that were published to meet a quarterly release date.

Sheesh! And these are my fans? :)

I should mention that Computer Gaming World's pipeline is not based on any information that either Firaxis or Atari has released, and that we have not officially announced anything regarding Civ 4 short of that initial work is underway.

As to the naysayers on this thread, I can only say wait and see, and hopefully we can prove you wrong. :groucho: In the meantime, step aside so the rest of us can enjoy our Civ.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

P.S. I've been replaying the final 20 or so turns of my last Emperor game, trying to find a way to stop the Incas from getting their cultural victory, but it looks like I simply let them build too many wonders and get too big unchallenged for me to do anything about it. Argh! I've never lost to an AI cultural victory before...

Of course there will be bugs! Even if Civ3 were "bug free", it still took 18 months for over 100,000 players to find the corruption bug. The least bug free programs are going to be console games, since they *HAVE* to be perfect. I was just playing some demos of games last night, and found bugs (like in Halflife - the flashlight doesn't cast a shadow if you're behind an object. ;) atleast not very well). Little things like that might either "slip by", or be very low on the "bug fix scale".

*starts her bug checklist for when she goes back to work at AQ Inc*. ;) Why, I'll even work 24/7 if you want me to! :p

I'm never too concered when there is a bug in a Civ game. The programmers are usally very good at getting patches out very quickly and making the game better. Unlike a lot of other companies that I have lost a lot of respect for, like EA and Command and Conquer Generals.

There is no way that a program as complex as Civilization will be free of bugs. The import thing is that Firaxis actually tries to fix the bugs, something which not all games companies do.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Civ4. A year is not a long time in game development, I bet they've already been working on it for a long time.

Top Bottom