Civilization 5

There should be a skirmish option where you can fight an enemy without declaring war.

Buildings shouldn't take so long to build and when founding a city it should start with basic buildings.

Units could be produced faster, although the idea of 50,000 soldiers attacking does not work for civ because it would be very difficult. (let that be left for a different franchise)

The graphics are great and should stay.

The game should come with a very easy and simple scenario maker.

The game team should officially release professionally done civs every few weeks so i dont have to put up with all the spam crap.

Rhye's and Fall of Civilization should be explored as disc based content.
*especially Historical Victory

I think building times are actually pretty reasonable right now...what doesn't make sense is that you can't build anything else while you're making one. It's especially glaring that you cannot train a military unit at the same time.

Also, I really think that the military should need supply lines, as well as need food depending on your civics. For example, a despotic civ should have to feed all of it's troops, but a representative government could simply pay their troops.

Of course, I've elsewhere detailed my desire to make the civics matter more, but on a similar subject, I'd really love to see some proper feudalism in the game...perhaps a vassalage that makes all units free, but you can't control which troops your cities build.

I have read through some of what you guys have been writing. I have a lot of grievences about civ 4 but am really impressed with a lot of the game too. My biggest issue was that i needed to buy another computer just to be able to play civ 4 as i had needed to buy another comp just to play civ 3. I have been playing civ 4 since it came out and i am still learning how to play the game. One thing i would like to see is a more complete map...they modeled the map off of the same basic principal as google earth but they never really completed it to a realistic map. The resources need to be a bit more geographicly accurate and follow some of the same basic principals that the earth has. Each city built should be blended with a sim city format. units should be much easier to build then a hundred years for a warrior and the like. Also there should be more turns in each age...by the time i build some early units i am already moving into a different age of tech and don't get to do much in the early game. by the time my phlanxes are reaching an enemy city, they are already producing swordsman...etc. spys need to have another option and that is to discover military plans but also to discover that country's intent with said military (do they intend to invade and where...etc). the draft option should be the same as civ3...not this 5 units per turn BS. Military units should have more options then simple attack....types of stratigic attacks need to be incorporated for all types of units including defense strategies. for example the stratigic options discussed in the movie alexander prior to the persian batter....they put certain troops in certain positions for the attack. having a battle field view showing all troops and various options may be better then the norm. the diplomatic options with the AI needs to be expanded and easier to work with. I miss being able to bribe a country that dislikes me with gold or knowledge or whatever to invade another country that i am at war with or something else. There needs to be a great deal of expansion on the various sciences. Like diplomacy wasn't discovered with the states....it was discovered and implemented in ancient greece. there needs to more countries...i am a canadian citizen and i do not see canda as part of the game. that is an insult in itself. anyway...i hope one of the game designers read this and all the suggestions

You can play with accurate resources but please also let there be random resources... This game you will find it boring if all they have is realistic maps of earth. You will know where everything is quickly and soon find yourself restarting if you don't get the good resources. If you have specified starting locations I reckon you will find before too long you will start playing those civs that have good resources, etc. So not totally workable...

Few ideas for perusal,

Implementation of weather, Engineering feats- Tunnels through impassible terrain (mountains) & perhaps short sections of coast (Channel Tunnel)

Also I'd like to see units having a line of supply using a stockpile generated by cities that processes the acquired resources. When units get cut off from their supply they then diminish in strength to say a minimum of 20% in the worst case (Think of Germany's 6th army cut off in Stalingrad in WWII.)

The artillery was bang on ('scuse the pun) as to what it should do in civ3,. but i'm disappointed with a return to civ 2 style artillery in in civ4. Maybe if the arty was overpowered in offense (The bomb anything with no repercussions), make it so you can set your own Arty to defend against bombardment with a counter- bombardment order which disrupts/ damages the attacking arty strikes ( & make the AI competent in using it).

Also like to see perhaps a development of corporations so the cities with founded corporations can build corp-specific buildings (bit like the religions) that can produce goods from the acquired resources for profit, e.g. manufactured goods made from Iron/Copper/etc that can be sold abroad for profit/ other benefit.

One last thing as others have said- A hex grid instead of a square one. Just makes moving diagonally more plausible.

My suggestions are:
1) Making it possible to name your rivers/deserts/mountains etc
2)Making it possible to 'discover' ancient great wonders while you are exploring.
3) Make your 1000 tanks distinguishable from each other, e.g. You can creat army (not the army in civ 3) for 20 slots and put whatever you like in it and name it. The army does nothing except for managing your troops easier.
4) Bring in the concept of provinces. 5-6 cities can make one province and you can somehow manage the province like making every city in the province economy-based cities.
5) I really would like less operation in civ5. We shouldn't spend 20 min on each turn at late game..

I had an interesting idea the other day. I feel that there should be a factor in diplomacy where the victor in the war will be less hostile towards his opponent in the war. Say two AI opponents are at war. Depending on how many cities are taken and who gets what at the peace talks, the person who gets the biggest piece of the pie will have a lesser diplomacy modifier against his opponent while the loser will hate the winner more than normal. (ie the loser will hate the winner more than the winner hates the loser).

I also have an idea that may be a little crazy; cottages have poduction. Cottages should gain a hammer bonus that only they can use as they grow. The cottages can build units and minor buildings that can be unique to towns, such as town statues that can give small culture boosts and smitheys that can give a small production boost to the major city. That can solve the problem of cities building only one thing at a time without the city working on several things.

This may sound a bit undoable, but could there be two separate time spans or something, one being a macromanaging turn scale, and one a micromanaging scale that only comes into play when, for instance, a war breaks out and smaller turn increments are needed. Of course, it wouldn't be that simple. But, for instance, you could have the "macro" turns click away with 50 year increments, and then a crisis comes along, and you go to something like a micromanaging mode, or some mode which allows you to manage the crisis (perhaps you can prepare for way in macro mode, but fight the war in micro mode). Both modes would be loosely independent of each other, meaning that one mode works based on the actions of the other, but that all actions in the mode are self-contained. For instance, one builds units normally in macro-mode, only at a more accelerated rate than the micro mode, and the units can be moved in macro-mode the same. Units can even fight battles in macro mode, that is to say, small scale frontier battles without war being fought. But, once a conflict erupts, or some other crisis is at hand (perhaps diplomatic), then micro-mode will automatically kick in, allowing those players involved in the crisis, either directly or indirectly, to manage the crisis in a reasonable time frame. This also allows for longer playing, as these crisis would probably take a good deal of playtime.

1stcontact2035

I had the same idea for this game years ago. Varying time units is not a new concept they can borrow ideas from other games. Like for instance "XCOM:Ufo defense". Totally awesome game and there the player himself decides how fast the time goes by, like from hours to days or weeks...
And we can go even further - not only microscale for conflict periods, but also real-time for battles ! Battles could be fought fullscale real-time like those in Total war game series. If they can pull that off that would be the best game in history and that would be really the ultimate - you would have a complete strategy game - rts AND tbs spanning through ALL possible eras. No competition, period.

Some thoughts (including things that you guys suggested and I liked):

- An implementation of politic instability/empire cultural diversity (areas with a distinct cultural identity more likely to cause a massive revolt/declare itself an independent state).

- The ability to organize a syncronized action plan with your allies (same goes with the enemies). The "Why dont you attack X" is a really simple form. How about being able to create "unions" with select civs... For example the ability to create something like European Union with some of your allies, where there are programmed meetings and urgent meetings (for example when a war starts). In these meetings the union decides its stance (on a war: setting a commercial embargo on the attacker, sending troops, offering rewards to stop the war etc/in peace time: adopting a certain set of civics, sending economic help to weaker members in the form of gold/free trades-techs). Of course in order to create a union in the first place you need to have a certain status among other civs.

- The 2 time spans/adjustable time rate idea mentioned. 500 years to move your troops into position is a bit unrealistic. Units shouldnt take long to move.

- The implementation of the military as a city distinct slider of hammers, with a top limit defined by your population. Done by adding one more variable on the city output (money,beakers,culture,espionage + military). In other words cities dont build troops in the way they are now. They are a product of them just like beakers are and are stacking inside them (in a treasury style,stacking soldiers). If soldiers>1000 you can divide them in different groups of different sizes (1000,10.000,50.000,100.000...) and name them as you like. Military experts, on top of experience add +hammers to military production. To explain it better:

City X has a base production (hammers) of 10. If we set the city's production military slider to 70% then 7 hammers of the city are directed to produce troops of our choice, which gradually stack inside the city, and 3 go to buildings/wonders.
In addition, to ease micromanaging, an optional military auto-upgrade/managing feature in the military advisor screen (basically a slider determining how much money is spent on upgrading your troops and doing the upgrades accordingly and an interface where you can determine the synthesis of your army) would be needed. It really makes much more sense that way.

To make this whole system more easy to use and different than the current one, add a smart global military hammers slider that prioritizes production rich cities. In other words have production rich cities run a higher military slider and commerce/research cities a lower one, and the sum of all of them would result in the global slider value.

This last feature (city distinct slider/smart global slider) could expand to research,wealth, culture and espionage too but now it would be about commerce, not hammers.

This way we have a more manageable army and more specialized and agile cities.

- Spies gaining experience like normal troops, having their own line of promotions.

- Great Prophets can mass convert cities.

- Mercenaries.

- Cities sharing/transfering a maximum amount of food/hammers (limit depending on the distance from source city + city population. Cities that had food in their BFC and grew up can get food from farther away). This

- Later in game there should be a modifier that accelarates the building of outdated buildings in a city, such as granaries, courthouses, lighthouses etc.

- Auto patrolling (with waypoints, whatever)

- Civics have a heavier impact.

- More world wonders (I know Civ 4 has more than enough but I love them), more often random events.

- Migrations dependent on culture/happiness. Both world wide and inside the empire.

- Radar tile improvements, available with radio and improved with later technologies, providing a big line of sight and early warning of impeding attacks. Give you the ability to move 3 units as if you had 2 turns instead of 1. Great for coastline defence.

- On the modern times, cities gain another gold source, tourism, which depends on its cultural score and the civics run.

- Forts are conquered just like cities are. The enemy has to lay siege on them and when every defender dies, they can take control of them. They provide a big defence bonus (something like +75%). They can also be upgraded later to: a)Flak towers, which provide great air defences and an additional +20% defence on the units garrisoned inside them b)Military bases (naval, air and ground), which can produce troops (using hammers from the nearest city), ground bases can also draft some units, air bases can airlift units (+be a base for 6 aircrafts) and naval bases can repair ships faster than normal. c)Fortifications (like the Mazino line on the French borders), providing +20% against armoured-gunpowder units and do not remove the forest of a tile. They do not produce any culture but are taken in account for the power stat of a civ.

- Planes have an extended radius/power and mission list. Missions like precise strike (90%-100% chance of destroying a specific building inside a city, which could also extend to artillery-missiles-ships) and unit drop are needed imo. Of course that power boost would come with a balanced anti air boost.

- Some other ideas (many not mine)

I dont really like the idea of an ingame battle RTS. If I want to play real time I pick an RTS only game that focuses entirely on that. Civ is turn based and focuses on that. Anavoidably by doing RTS they take time of development from the turn based and thus either the classic turn based gameplay would lack or the RTS feature would lack. After all Firaxis is just another company with limited time and resources on their hands.

Generally the key to a successful Civ 5 would be ease of modding, complex/realistic gameplay (which it already has), a simple/easy to use interface and a large variety of different balanced units/technologies/resources/leaders etc that give the player a lot of strategies to choose from and a lot of depth. Put some nice graphics to that (showing alive cities, and busy roads that reflect trade routes) and you got the perfect game.

I think Civ 5 would hit the nail on the head, if as previously mentioned implemented the rts feature of total war, while at the same time giving an option to bypass it.

Also i would prefer if trade routes became more dynamic, requiring a trade unit to actually seek out other cities and establish a trade route - then a counter( minifigure of the trade route) would traverse the route to the other city.

this allows for more tactics as a weaker player could plunder and ravage trade routes to cripple a stronger palyers economy

to see a supply train system implemented would be great and also military units could have a dependence on food like mentioned earlier instead of gold,\. Military units should also require a population point to support them - I.e 4 units to 1 population point - though probably less

Features from mods like rhyes and fall should be included too- ryhes and fall adds the stability feature without tinkereing too much with the gameplay

I play Civ since Civ I on Amiga 500. After reading in this forum now for quite a while i registered just to post in this thread.

There are many good suggestions in this thread and i will try not to repeat them all. But here are my thoughts.

- Please Please Please make Civ 5 modable as easy as possible. As someone who played every Civ game in history i think it is safe to say that the developers will never be able to create a game that makes everybody happy. Nevertheless Firaxis should feel free to give us a well balanced earth map. IMO thats what most of us want to play. Don`t let the modders do your job if you want us to pay for another title.

- Don`t dumb down the series. It frightens me how many copies of CivRev Firaxis is selling at the moment. It is not neccessary that even my girlfriend is able to play the game. Accessibility is a swear word in this context.

- Give the world an accurate climate and weather system.A larger crop in areas with a higher humidity for example. Different climatic zones should make more differences then just resources graphics and movement speed. There are many possibilities and i just wanted to name a view.
It would also be possible to implement the climate change as another challenge mankind has to deal with in the late part of the game. Just create something like a carbon dioxid budget. Every human thing like cities, units, farms a.s.o. is producing a small amount of CO2. in the early stages of the game this output is absorbed by the woods. When time goes on more and more CO2 will be produced and simultaneous most of the woods will be chopped down by our workers. This will cause global warming and the deglaciation of the poles. This could cause a raise in sealevel, a change in climate zones, desertification a.s.o. .
They could also implement other regular climatic catastrophies like floods, tornadoes, volcanoes,earthquakes a.s.o..

- Personally graphic is not very important for me but it would be cool to see what kind of a leader personality you found when you look at his territories. The terrain graphics should change depending on somebodies attitude.

- More turns. Everything less then marathon is a disgrace. Maybe next time Firaxis is even able to balance the game for Marathon but i don´t expect much. This problem can be solved by a modteam.

- Upgrade the diplomacy part of the game.

Memo to Firaxis : The above mentioned will only work with an AI.

I hope i was able to make myself understood even though i was using the language of a lesser civilization.:D

A better combat system as far as Artillery goes with engagement at two-three paces for Artillery/Radar Artillery, and also a system where battleships get to be able to bombard cities at two paces. Also battleships should be able to shell units based on the shore. Perhaps with a limit on effectiveness but actions such as Gallipoli of WWI had Battleships bombarding enemy positions... Also a more realistic upgrade to the later portion of the vanilla technology tree with WW1 tanks, WW2 Tanks, Cold War, Modern. Same with Aircraft, and SAMs. A SAM system where you get a gun related AA at Early Flight which then improves in Speed/Range with each generation. What do others think...

The only thing I would ask for in Civ5 is a better, more adaptable AI. This is the only aspect which is difficult to do by the fan community. Pretty much everything else is already out there in the Creation & Customization forum. Just pick and choose whatever you like.

However my biggest worry is that Civ5 will go down the eye candy route. Although I wouldn't mind having water as beautiful as it is on the Civ4 Colonization screenshots, I can live without it.

I have one simple request: restore the espionage feature to what it was in vanilla Civ IV. At present, it's a major pain in the butt. It gives no information (except stealing information) you can't find out through the diplomacy screen, it diverts resources and it encourages even your "friends" to commit outrageous acts of terrorism even in peacetime. I also think that making spies expensive to produce (think "locating good candidates and train them") would be a good idea. Above all, if someone steals a techology or commits an outrage ("Your bank has just been blown up!"), you should be informed of *who* it was, or at least have the possibilty to find out.

Espionage sucks in civ4 in general, bring back the espionage in civ3. Much much much more realistic, but can be tweaked abit to be better.

- Only have to pay to plant the spies (should be a larger amount), once they are there they can perform anything you want with a risk of being detected.
- Spies should gain experience points
- Should be a difference between "legal" spies (those with diplomatic immunity or cover) and "illegal" spies. "Legal" spies can only be planted if you have an embassy in the civ, also should be much much more expensive, but when they get burned they dont create as much back lash and can also be replanted into another civ (thus keeping any experience gained) Illegal spies are killed and create a huge diplomatic back lash.
- If you want an actual spy unit in the field, then they should be called military recon force or special forces or something like that, and should only be able to perform recon, sabutuge and steal plans etc.

That would make it much better, but the espionage as it is in civ4 is terrible. Haha read Tom Clancy's novels to get an idea on how modern CIA KGB etc worked.

Italian Empire ,
ehm Italian Empire and Italian Empire XD.
if I have not been understood well I am Italian I am using a translator
more joined naval , factors: tourism and immigration

Top Bottom