Civilization 5

Civ5 definatly needs a more fluid landscape. Cities should be able to sprawl, mines don't need to take up an entire hill, and mountains don't usually pop up out of nowhere. Something I would love to see is for cities to have multiple production queues. I don't think that there are any cities that everyone works on one thing at a time... I also think that towns should have production queues of their own, or at least something more useful than extra money; maybe towns could be absorbed into cities, obtain a production queue of their own, but produce more commerce (because they're connected to the city). Everything should be realistically sized as well. I'm sick of seeing a worker tower over a mountain... I saw as I was paging through several people call for unit populations, and realistic numbers of units; why not make them realistic sizes as well? And thinking about workers, make the roads more realistic as well- they don't need to be everywhere. Back to realistic sizes, the world should be better proportioned, and time should pass more realisically, at least on some level. Finally, I think it would be interesting to incorporate city-building concepts into Civ5. When you build a new building, perhaps you could position it yourself in the city, like putting your palace in the middle, far away from the walls and potential areas for siege. Speaking of which, cities should be an enviroment upon themselves. Units should be able to use cover within the city as well as outside enviroments. You could do some interesting things with guerilla warfare that way. Back to city-building concepts, Civ5 should incorporate specific training areas for certain types of unit. And units shouldnt be so concrete- it would create a whole new dynamic if you could mix and match different traits of different types of units- maybe train a unit to fight not only on horseback, but on the ground as well, or maybe even break down units into specific traits to be researched, such as armor or weaponry. Trust me, this all makes sense in my head... sorry if it doesn't translate well from there.

Something I would love to see is for cities to have multiple production queues. I don't think that there are any cities that everyone works on one thing at a time...

Have I voted strongly against this ? I vote strongly against this.

Everything should be realistically sized as well. I'm sick of seeing a worker tower over a mountain... I saw as I was paging through several people call for unit populations, and realistic numbers of units; why not make them realistic sizes as well?

On map squares that are ten to a hundred miles to a side ? I don't think they make monitors with resolution that good.

Finally, I think it would be interesting to incorporate city-building concepts into Civ5. When you build a new building, perhaps you could position it yourself in the city, like putting your palace in the middle, far away from the walls and potential areas for siege.

Please, no. Tactical stuff is for tactical games.

Civ5 definatly needs a more fluid landscape. Cities should be able to sprawl, mines don't need to take up an entire hill, and mountains don't usually pop up out of nowhere. Something I would love to see is for cities to have multiple production queues. I don't think that there are any cities that everyone works on one thing at a time... I also think that towns should have production queues of their own, or at least something more useful than extra money; maybe towns could be absorbed into cities, obtain a production queue of their own, but produce more commerce (because they're connected to the city). Everything should be realistically sized as well. I'm sick of seeing a worker tower over a mountain... I saw as I was paging through several people call for unit populations, and realistic numbers of units; why not make them realistic sizes as well? And thinking about workers, make the roads more realistic as well- they don't need to be everywhere. Back to realistic sizes, the world should be better proportioned, and time should pass more realisically, at least on some level. Finally, I think it would be interesting to incorporate city-building concepts into Civ5. When you build a new building, perhaps you could position it yourself in the city, like putting your palace in the middle, far away from the walls and potential areas for siege. Speaking of which, cities should be an enviroment upon themselves. Units should be able to use cover within the city as well as outside enviroments. You could do some interesting things with guerilla warfare that way. Back to city-building concepts, Civ5 should incorporate specific training areas for certain types of unit. And units shouldnt be so concrete- it would create a whole new dynamic if you could mix and match different traits of different types of units- maybe train a unit to fight not only on horseback, but on the ground as well, or maybe even break down units into specific traits to be researched, such as armor or weaponry. Trust me, this all makes sense in my head... sorry if it doesn't translate well from there.

What you want isnt civ5, its called real life :lol:

Have I voted strongly against this ? I vote strongly against this.

On map squares that are ten to a hundred miles to a side ? I don't think they make monitors with resolution that good.

Please, no. Tactical stuff is for tactical games.

I think these are good ideas, if fact, I see no problem if they incorporate this into Civ 5. You can stick with Civ 4.

I think it would be cool for the game to introduce a better idea of borders protection. I mean it would be good if when you have cities and forts that are manned you get an advantage against sea invaders that land within range... Also that could extend to the idea of build a certain number of radar towers and you get the choice of a slider that contributes resources to maintaining fighter defence around your empire. Bombers should be able to have a chance of being intercepted on the way into your territory from elsewhere. This more represents real life. I thought radar towers were a good idea in C3C that never was really developed anywhere in C4BTS or any of the Civ 4 games. The idea of being able to use forts for sea units was a good idea. Now all we need is an expensive and hard to produce canal option that bases itself off the size of the units in your fleet at the time. Therefore Aircraft Carriers would be locked out of using them unless it was built after they were invented and there was extra time and labour spent to build a canal that could accommodate them.

I think these are good ideas, if fact, I see no problem if they incorporate this into Civ 5. You can stick with Civ 4.

No thank you; of the available options, I far prefer Civ 3. Civ 4 is too small scale and cartoony, and has way too many things wrong with it.

Sorry, if they have been posted already, but the thread is really quite, so I wont check all pages to be sure. I have three major ideas I want to post here:

1) new resource system based on countable, depletable resources:

I kinda find it odd to be able to power my whole army of swordmen or tanks with just one iron or oil resource, etc. think that thing has been discussed before, so its a known issue. now, what I suggest is that resource be split into regenerating and now-regenerating.

regenerating include food resources like wheat, deer, fish, etc, etc. there is a certain per-turn output and you can with it as you please. I'd say for any city you want to supply, it consumes 1 resource unit per turn, irrespective of city size (it would get too complicated otherwise) and total output per turn should vary between 5 and 10 units. the system autonmatically distributes a newly acquired resource to any cities that need them for staying in positive happiness/ health, but you can also enter an upper limit as to how many units may be consumed. this would be helpful if you plan to trade your surplus with other civs.

non-regenerating would essentially be mostly strategic resources, such as iron, copper, marble, oil and the like. they would start with a finite source and every unit, building or project would consume a number of those units, more advanced units should consume more. as the resources go beneath a certain level, also the tile benefits start to suffer, like if there is only 50% of the iron resource left, the tile output goes down one hammer and so on, until the resource is depleted and gives no more benefit (other than the mine, etc.).

however, and this is the interesting part, certain types of research raise the available resources again (or could lead to the discovery of additional resources). like steel could increase all metal resource stocks by 10% of the original value, advanced components or some other tech could increase oil resources by some %. this would symbolise the increasing technological possibilities of exploiting resources, like deeper mining shafts, more efficient purification methods, etc.

that way you have to be careful how much to use of any given resource and can make inter-temporal choices, whether to have more benefits now or later. course it would need some balance, but it could be possible.

2) trade

right now, trading resources in civ iv is essentially free. no caravans, no cost in setting up trade lines or maintaining them. I think that is incorrect and there should be a small cost involved in trading resources to show the use of ships or caravans, import, export formalities, etc. not much, if it were possible only like 1 gpt for every 2 or 3 resource trades at the beginning. additionaly techs or international agreements (see below) could lower that amount further, to show the power of globalisation and trade. eventually, trading costs could become very low, like 1 gpt for every 10 resources trade agreements.

also, with the new resource system, a more numeric trade system could be possible, like enough bananas for 4 cities vs enough wine for 3 cities or whatever, instead or just all or nothing.

3) free trade agreements.

now, here is a very nast one. basically, what a fta does is lower the cost for trading between the parties (see 2)), so in theory its an attractive contract. however, there is also a side effect to symbolise the increasing inter-relatedness of civs on an ecnomic level. I imagine that as trade becomes more viable, a portion of each civs production would be exported, because of their competitive advantage in some industries, but some part of local consumption would also shift towards imports, because of cost disavantages. my idea would be to base it on exports, eg your hammers increase by 10% because of exportation and by that same absolute amount of hammers your partners production is reduces and vice versa. this is to show that larger, more developed economies tend to have a cost advantage and tend to profit more from fta than smaller ones.

I guess no one really understood how that works, so a quick example:

civ A has a hammer output of 1000, civ B one of 200, both have export rates of 10% which substitute one anothers production.

so, civ A's final hammer output is 1000 + 100 (hammers gained from export) - 20 (hammers lost to imports) = 1080
civ B's output is 200 + 20 - 100 = 120

the result is what I described, so a smaller nation would be very unwilling to participate in such a thing, but then, the agreement could well be a thread also. it would however be very useful for two civs of similar size and keep in mind, the values may be different, so the effects need not be that extreme. alsol, there could be other factors determining how much production is substituted, like tech level and such, so that it really does affect those that really are far smaller, behind in tech, where it wont make any difference anyway.

it quite a nasty things I believe.

4) I'd like to see more in the range of regional organisations, sort of part alliances where nations cooperate on a number of fields. the could for example forge a scientific community where one common reseach goal is set (they of course have to agree on it) and then beakers are increased by some % (you now, greater international exchange of scientists and such). or market unification, where resources are more easily/ efficiently shared or some other benefit. maybe even military unions, where a common level of armment is required and tech to build advanced units is either shared or available more easily (eg via a part of research already done by default with others just having to complete it).

right, thats it, maybe some interesting stuff I hope.

Perhaps Scientology as a religion (sorry if it was suggested, I only read the first page)

I could have sworn I posted this suggestion elsewhere, but Google is giving me no love.

Science Fiction
  • Requires Literature and ( Fascism or Scientific Method )
  • Can Construct The Hugo Awards
  • Leads to Rocketry
  • First to discover founds Scientology
  • Can be researched by Great Artist

Sounds good, a lot of great ideas. Hopefully the lead designers for Firaxis are trawling this forum. Any chance someone could send them a link to it to have a look through and a discussion amongst themselves about the ideas...

I would suggest, along with these other ideas ive read in this thread which I find brilliant to also add small touches which makes you feel like a real ruler.

• Bring back the High Council! That made suggestions much more fun! More interactivity
  • Bring back era related clothing for Leaders! Yes adds 'realism' but it makes sense.
  • BRING BACK THE THRONE ROOM! Why the hell not? Maybe thats where you can look out towards your city? Thats where you see your "Hail the Despot/President triumphs" or hear from Angry citizens. See your Police state in action or see how your Theocracy is shaping.
  • Make units and cities look more to their culture Enough of the generic!

Little things that make little difference to how the game goes but something that made Civ2 that bit more interesting.

I agree with this user's suggestions as well as getting rid of the space elevator and replacing it with a space station wonder. The space elevator isn't even a real infrastructure today so it ought to be removed. I also miss Darwin's Voyage, Leonardo's Workshop and Adam Smith's Trading Company etc with all of their own custom orchestra music score.

Keep the combat promotion system.
Keep the (cottage->hamlet->village->town) concept
Keep squares for cities and gameplay because it's existed since Civ1

World Map of Earth is by far the only map me and many other Civ players play so perhaps the developers should focus on extending this feature of the game. A really big earth map that can fit 32 Civs would be nice!

Bring back the stock exchange!
ECONOMY: market->bank->stock exchange
PEOPLE: temple->colloseum->cathedral
SCIENCE: library->university->observatory
FOOD: granary->grocer->supermarket
CITY: aqueduct->sanitation->hospital
PROD: forge->factory->nuclear plant

Bring back the caravan and freight units, I like an extra push of cash when I deliver goods to a foreign city. Bring back the wonder movies from Civ2 in HD. Best expansion pack is by far BTS. Please make Civ5 less cartoonish as one user has posted. LABEL THE CDs CORRECTLY.

I agree with this user's suggestions as well as getting rid of the space elevator and replacing it with a space station wonder. The space elevator isn't even a real infrastructure today so it ought to be removed.

I say have both. Cutting off development in Civ at the present day is reducing the range of possibilities for fun.

I also miss Darwin's Voyage, Leonardo's Workshop and Adam Smith's Trading Company etc

More and more powerful great wonders, yes, definitely.

with all of their own custom orchestra music score.

So long as that and the movies and suchlike can be switched off simply and easily for those of us who do not like our gameplay interrupted by them, sure.

Keep the combat promotion system.

No, no, and three times no.

Civ should support real empire-scale games. Which means armies of hundreds of units. A complex system of combat promotion is fine for a tactical-scale game with a couple of dozen units but it is excessive overhead for an army a thousand strong.

Keep the (cottage->hamlet->village->town) concept

I don't like this, but if you must keep it, require worker action to grow the things, don't just let them develop by themselves.

World Map of Earth is by far the only map me and many other Civ players play so perhaps the developers should focus on extending this feature of the game. A really big earth map that can fit 32 Civs would be nice!

So long as the random map generators are equally good, for thsoe of us who never play Earth maps because they are boring because you know where everything is before you start.

ECONOMY: market->bank->stock exchange
PEOPLE: temple->colloseum->cathedral
SCIENCE: library->university->observatory
FOOD: granary->grocer->supermarket
CITY: aqueduct->sanitation->hospital
PROD: forge->factory->nuclear plant

Agreed; also, bring back hard city growth limits which need aqueducts/sanitation/hospitals to grow past.

I always thought the religions were a little wierd, because they are founded when a specific tech is reached. I feel religion founding shouldn't be restricted to tech research. Instead, there should be more fluid religions that could be founded by random events and GPs. You can also choose to endorse a religion where you are the god (think the Egyptians), making it easy to make friends when you convert them :D. Later when the newer religions like Christianity come into play, the old religions will die out, leaving room for the new ones.

The space elevator isn't even a real infrastructure today so it ought to be removed.

Like fusion engines and stasis chambers? At least the space elevator is understood scientifically, it just isn't technically feasible yet (but soon).

I say have both. Cutting off development in Civ at the present day is reducing the range of possibilities for fun.

Agreed. Put them both in and more future techs: Quantum Computing, Nanotechnology, oh my! :D

Keep the (cottage->hamlet->village->town) concept.

I don't like this, but if you must keep it, require worker action to grow the things, don't just let them develop by themselves.

Cottages must be worked by the city; they don't "develop by themselves." I like this method because it's logical and easy to manage. As your city grows, there is more population to expand the surrounding villages. Workers should hardly be able to build an entire town just as they build a pasture or mine.

So long as the random map generators are equally good, for thsoe of us who never play Earth maps because they are boring because you know where everything is before you start.

I also enjoy exploring the map, so I've only played on Earth a couple times. I do, however, appreciate a well-designed map that doesn't rely on complete randomness. Some map scripts are getting very good, e.g. limiting some resources to separate continents, forcing you to expand or trade.

I think the compromise would be a bunch of new hand-crafted maps with interesting layouts. I'm actually surprised there isn't a larger culture of human-created maps already. I even would love to get a group together where each person regenerates a bunch of random maps, picks the ones that seem "most interesting" (based on the group's stated opinions), and posts them for the others to play. You get maps that you know aren't going to suck but yet are still totally unknown to you. Plus people could rate the maps after they've played so the others would know which ones were worth it.

I have never created 1,000 combat units in all the time that I've played Civ4. The closest I got was about 150 units which is about 3 lines on a screen resolution of 1920x1200. A computer AI created 300 units which took up about 6 lines to attack and I have to say that was one insane battle. Those promotions REALLY, REALLY count when it starts getting down to the odds. Not to mention a level 7+ promoted unit is way more valuable than a level 3 promoted unit.

Quantum Computing, Nanotechnology, Stasis Chamber, Fusion Engines, Space Elevator are all probable future wonders/technologies/Spaceships in the last 20 years. I just felt that a Space Station wonder was just a missing piece that could replace the Space Elevator when civ5 is released. Having both is a plus. Come on, Mir, Salyut and Skylab were in orbit before Civ1 was created.

Come on, Mir, Salyut and Skylab were in orbit before Civ1 was created.

True enough, but none of those helped to build space ships in space. They advanced the space program, of course, but they were built by launching parts strapped to rockets* into orbit. A space station should provide some other benefit, perhaps protection from alien abduction. :p

* Sure, not exactly, but essentially. The point of the space elevator is to make this process cheaper, easier and safer -- thus the bonus when building SS parts.

Top Bottom