[NFP] Civilization 6 February Update

What are you looking forward to most in the February Patch?

• Barbarian Clans Mode

• Improvements to A.I. Handling of Aircraft

• Leader Selection Pool

• Natural Wonder Reworks and Rebalance

• Government Policy Card Slot Changes

Results are only viewable after voting.
How long have you been working on that?
Coding ? a few days, just the UI for now, but knowing it would be possible to do since @SeelingCat made me test the MakePeaceWith() function on Barbarians. There was a method to launch a group of barbarians in a city direction in one of the scenario, and I've already temporary recruited units in my mod...

But the concepts, much longer, as the devs said, this kind of things are discussed since a long time in the suggestions & ideas forum, and I wanted to implement some of them in my overhaul. I just happened to have started digging more on available methods for diplomacy (global diplomacy overhaul) recently, and, to actually start working on implementation with something simple, adding Barbarians interactions was a perfect application.

And, well, I knew the Barbarian update was coming, but I wasn't expecting it to be so similar !

Which is fine, either I can re-use the methods they'll add in the patch, either I'll just have to code mine, as I originally planned.

Maybe I understood it incorrectly, but I thought a Hill clan won't necessarily be related to another Hill clan?
I'm not sure. They said if you wipe out one I assume you wipe out the entirely of the hill clans.

The video said that each clan makes progression towards becoming a city-state, so it might only be six militaristic ones or maybe one of each type?

I could see trade city-states being formed from a coastal clan, at least.
That being said it looked like Valletta was coastal so I am still sticking with the possibility that all other city-states still might start out on the map normally, except for militaristic city-states that will need to convert from Barbarians.

This will be a good month in terms of updates or news related to updates. A great one for Civ, probably a new trailer for Warhammer 3, and a bunch for several Paradox titles. Nice!

So we not gonna talk about that "last patch of the season" ???

It's been mentioned.

The word Season allows them to leave it open without giving anything away. It's not definite evidence of there being more content planned, but it's surely encouraging.

Love the idea of giving barbarians unique units from civs not in the game. I can imagine some pretty nasty ones to have to fight waves of. Also seems like a mode with lots of possibilities for civ abilities to interact with if it becomes a base part of civ 7 (cheaper mercenaries, ability to send trade routes to barbarians, instant annexing of camps that become cities, bonus for barbarians inciting towards other civs; lots of design space)
Maybe the catapult at the end was a clue? Unique catapult for next civ confirmed? :lol:

Here are the clan types I could spot in the video:

barb1.png
- rover clan (couldn't find a higher res spot in the video)
barb2.png
- unknown (in the video it was on a floodplain tile next to a river)
barb3.png
- maybe woods/rainforest clan
barb4.png
- probably coastal clan
barb5.png
- hills clan

Last edited:
I'm not sure. They said if you wipe out one I assume you wipe out the entirely of the hill clans.

The video said that each clan makes progression towards becoming a city-state, so it might only be six militaristic ones or maybe one of each type?

I could see trade city-states being formed from a coastal clan, at least.

I take it to mean that when a barb camp spawns, it basically picks one of the 6 tribes to be part of, but if you play on a highlands map, you may have many hill tribe clans all around the game, not that you're necessarily limited to 6 barb camps on the map at a time. Will be interesting to see if the 6 clans map to the 6 city-state types - I could definitely see a case where you nurture a clan knowing it will give you a scientific CS later in the game. I wonder how crowded of CS you can get a map if nobody kills the clans.

Certainly looks like a fun more - can't wait to try it out. You'll also get some fun bonuses if you can start recruiting eagle warriors from a clan to use in your army. I mean, imagine playing as Nubia and having a few eagle warriors and pitati archers moving towards your enemy. Ouch.

Leader Picker ban in Febraury - called it!

Not only that, you can make several pools! :D (only two in the video, crossing my fingers there is more). Now waiting to start a evenly-continent-distributed but still random game :)

Here are the clan types I could spot in the video:

View attachment 586588 - rover clan (couldn't find a higher res spot in the video)
View attachment 586589 - unknown
View attachment 586590 - maybe woods/rainforest clan
View attachment 586591 - probably coastal clan
View attachment 586592 - hills clan

It's me or the second one looks too much like a cake?. Is it a Portal clan? (probably a helmet, but heh!)

I guess each clan would have a preferred type of units and would only get uniques from that type... but who knows?

I'm so glad they went this route instead of making it "raging barbarians". This will be a mode I have on all the time. There's been times when I have been caught with my pants down in an expansion city by barbarians and I thought it could've been nice just to pay some tribute so they go away. I've also had way too many games where I'm going for a religion and barbs come over and pillage my holy site and screw up my founding of a religion. No more! And now if there's a barb camp with war carts really close to a rival civ, well, it would be a shame if I paid them to attack the civ. No more one-dimensional barbs! Solid job, FXS. One of the best updates in civ that I've seen in a long, long time.

Super excited about the new barb mode, I've wanted that for a long time.

I'm curious with this mode if no city states appear at all until they form from barbs, which could certainly changed early game a bit. On that note, it would also be cool if the diplomatic quarter interacted with this game mode in some way (i.e. increased your influence on barbs you interact with for example), though that's unlikely.

Are there unlimited CSes now, or does it still respect the cap set up in config? Does it include razed city states (i.e. if the AI razes a city state does that open up a new slot for a barb to evolve to), etc?

Top Bottom