[R&F] Civilization Ability Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia - Land Down Under [12 - 3 = 9] Good but weakest of the three
Greece - Plato's Republic [24]
Japan - Meiji Restoration [5 + 1 = 6] The need for tight cities is overstated. The bonus is potent in one city alone. Stacking cities is an extra and even then you end up having clusters.

Australia - Land Down Under [10] [9+1] At this point it's the war of adjacency bonuses... I think everyone is overstating how much more powerful than the other each ability is here... Adjacency bonuses are good, period. For me I like that Australia's is less restrictive in how I build my empire. I've never found i have difficulty finding spots for both districts and production. Possibly map perference and propensity for wide/tall play affects this?
Greece - Plato's Republic [24]
Japan - Meiji Restoration [3] [6-3] it's getting to the point where you can't avoid downvoting the same thing twice. This ability is powerful and I love the consistency with which it is powerful. The requirement for multiple districts or cities slows it down, you can't take a much advantage of terrain as you need to cluster your districts. None of these are hard which is why it's a top 3 ability, but it still gets my downvote.

Australia - Land Down Under [10 + 1 = 11] I think the option to choose from a multitude of good city locations and high yield districts gives this ability some good compound interest.
Greece - Plato's Republic [25 - 3 = 22] Great at the start, but eventually, that wildcard slot that was one of three slots just becomes one of nine slots. Its value goes down as the game goes on.

Australia - Land Down Under [12] (11+1) - Fun, useful for multiple VCs and most importantly it encourages a different playstyle and makes Australia feel fresh and interesting.
Greece - Plato's Republic [19] (22-3) - Versatile and powerful but so, so boring. Doesn't really change up gameplay at all.

Australia - Land Down Under [13] (12+1) - A really good ability, versatile, immersive and fun, true to the civ's character. A worthy winner if ever there was.
Greece - Plato's Republic [16] (19-3) - You *seriously* cannot say that "+1 Wildcard Policy" is the *best* ability this game has to offer??? Wtf, people.

Wow, coming down to the wire! Australia making a comeback...

Australia - Land Down Under [14] (13+1) - I like those powerful campuses and holy sites
Greece - Plato's Republic [13] (16-3) - What @Lord Lakely said.

Australia - Land Down Under [14+1=15] Upvote was going to Japan, but it is no more...
Greece - Plato's Republic [13-3=10]
Potentially more powerful, but district placement abilities seem more interesting.

I'm find it more and more interesting how the DLC civs tend to be the ones who end up having the higher rankings...

Australia - Land Down Under [15-3=12] Adjacency bonuses, while certainly strong, are certainly boring.

Greece - Plato's Republic [10+1=11] I'd rather have the wildcard policy.

Australia - Land Down Under [12+1=13] - Because the possibly best Culture Bomb ability (you can have multiple pastures per city) + more housing + ability to have great districts (Campuses stronger than Korea are very easy to achieve) is simply better than a wildcard policy slot.
Greece - Plato's Republic [11-3=8] - I have to agree that while strong at the beginning (I mean, having both God King and Urban Planning is great), its value drops as the game goes on. And I'll be honest, I don't give much attention to policies in my game, so policy slots are boring to me.

Australia - Land Down Under [10 = 13 - 3]
Greece - Plato's Republic [9 = 8 + 1]

I'd rather have the wildcard slot. Stronger early and still plenty strong into the mid and late game. It seems like I can never have enough economic policy slots and this helps alleviate that issue. Australia's appeal based bonuses can be difficult in the mid-late game to maintain because mines are so good.

Australia - Land Down Under [10+1=11] Better throughout the game.
Greece - Plato's Republic [9-3=6] Unmatched only in the early game.

Australia - Land Down Under [11-3=8] Utterly overrated, gives less adjacency bonuses than Japan and takes up Seaside Resort and National Park spots. You also dare not place a single mine next to a district. I asked TheGameMechanic on twitch the other day who had the better Civ ability out of Australia and Japan. This is a player who won 21 out of his last 24 games on Deity and has won every victory condition sub-turn 200 on that difficulty. He said Japan's ability was better by a good bit.

Greece - Plato's Republic [6+1=7] Is extremely powerful in the early on where the AI is the biggest threat by far in the entire game. It is one of only 3 Civs who can run Revelation to get a Great Prophet quicker. It is still powerful in the mid-game governments and TBH it can still play a part in which government you pick in the tier 3 government since an extra wildcard slot is very powerful

So to sum up: 1) Greece helps you win a Religious victory by letting you run Revelation to get a quick Great Prophet. Australia gets no bonus at all towards getting a Great Prophet.

2) Greece aids you when going for a Culture victory, it doesn't greatly damage it by taking up every one of your high appeal tiles.

3) You get lots of extra production as Greece since you can place mines wherever you like, you have to rely on Outback Stations for production with Australia if you don't want bang on average districts. Plus Outback Stations are a very average improvement who without adjacent pastures provide a meager +1 production.

Last edited:
Australia - Land Down Under [8+1=9] my preference

Greece - Plato's Republic [7-3=4] not my preference

that's it

Australia - Land Down Under [6=9-3] appeal is heavily dependent on RNG

Greece - Plato's Republic [5=4+1] consistent throughout every game

Australia - Land Down Under [6-3=3] I upvoted this before, but I don't think it's as consistent as Greece's bonus.

Greece - Plato's Republic [5+1=6] Useful for any victory type, and kicks in early.

Australia - Land Down Under [4] (3+1) Coastal cities are best cities.

Greece - Plato's Republic [3] (6-3) Only one wildcard slot, why is it so high up here.

Better late than never!

Australia - Land Down Under [5] (4 + 1) Really adds a lot to coastal cities.

Greece - Plato's Republic [Eliminated] (3 - 3) A great ability but I personally think it weaker than the other.

And the winner is... Australia - Land Down Under. Thanks for playing everyone. We now have everything rated from the civs in Rise and Fall.

Soon, I will create a thread with some stats from all of our results, including a master list compiling all 4 specials into an average rating. Until then, everyone have a happy New year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom