Civilization Color Schemes

I complained a lot about the G&K color schemes, I even changed some of them, but in the end of the day I got used to the default colors and I don't think they're going to change them.

Given that Poland has new colors, which suggests Austria keeps their old colors, suggests that they won't be changing colors. Otherwise, they would have given the Red and White of Austria to Poland.

Yeah, it would have been much better that way
Poland with red-white, and Austria with yellow-black, based on the Habsburgs flags

They could also work with the opposite colors of already existing civs, just like Japan and Austria, France and Greece, Egypt and Rome, Songhai and Mongolia, England and The Huns, Mayans and Iroquois, Persia and Siam, etc. Not saying they are exactly the perfect opposite scheme, but they are very simillar to it.

Ex.: Purple and Blue (byzantium)
Light blue and Green (celts)
Yellow and Blue (sweden)
Purple and White (carthage)
White and Dark Blue (america)
Red and Green (ethiopia)

Also, there are colors they used in scenarios that would work. Assyria's colors is basically the same of Ayyubids from Into the Renaissance. Of course, IF it is 100% sure Assyria. But they could use the color scheme from the Manchu (Korea scenario), the Goths (Fall of Rome), the Franks (Fall of Rome), Hittites (WOTAW), Summeria (WOTAW), Almohads (Into the Renaissance), England on 1066, dark blue/orange from Polynesian scenario, etc etc etc. Many options there, actually.

I love the Assyrian color theme! Strange how these things are so a matter of taste..

Some speculation for new civs' themes (these are civs many think most likely)

Portugal - bright green and bright red
Brazil - yellow and bright green
Zulu - yellow and black?

THANK YOU!!! I :love: the 'Assyrian' color scheme!

Potential civs listed with primary color, then secondary color

~Inuit - Aqua and White
~Majpahit - Aqua and Yellow
~Kongo - Blue and Black (or, if you prefer, black and blue :lol: )
~Sumer - Indigo and Light Yellow (not the same as DLC)
~Portugal - Since Ethiopia stole the color scheme I envision Portugal having, I say Portugal has Bright Green and Aqua
~Brazil - Green and Yellow
~Sioux - Golden Yellow and Brown
~Holy Rome - Golden Yellow and White
~Zulu - Light Yellow and Black
~Phoenicia - Purple and Aqua
~Nubia - Magenta and Yellow
~Hittites - Tan and Brown (same as DLC)

The one color scheme I really don't like in Civ5 is that of China - Green. Where the heck did they get Green from for China? Was it just the last one on their list and all the reasonable colors for China (either shades of red or yellow) were taken?

The one color scheme I really don't like in Civ5 is that of China - Green. Where the heck did they get Green from for China? Was it just the last one on their list and all the reasonable colors for China (either shades of red or yellow) were taken?

That green is the color of jade, so it's an obvious and inspired choice.

Portugal could get similar colors to Ethiopia, just the other way around. Main color would be maroon with secondary being a green.

That green is the color of jade, so it's an obvious and inspired choice.

It would be like giving one of the European civs yellow because they like gold, or Japan light green because of tea ceremonies - it really doesn't make sense.

It would be like giving one of the European civs yellow because they like gold, or Japan light green because of tea ceremonies - it really doesn't make sense.

Well, what do you think is better instead? Red and yellow? Persia took it. Red and white? Japan.

There are too many civs for the colors to really matter significantly

Well, what do you think is better instead? Red and yellow? Persia took it. Red and white? Japan.

There are too many civs for the colors to really matter significantly

I know, but I think there are other color schemes that might work for, say, Persia - China in my opinion isn't as flexible as some of the other civilizations. Granted, I will concede that the jade green is a little better than the light blue/pink that was used in Civ3, but red and/or yellow are both just that iconic for China that I'm a bit baffled as to why they didn't just pick a shade of them. It's like as if America wasn't blue. Imagine if America was, say, red, because of McDonalds, or something like that - would make no sense.

EDIT: I know it's a minor thing, but it's just something that's baffled me as China's colors the one thing that stood out the most for me.

Probably true, but what colors are left for the other 8 civilizations? People may not like a 'pinkish' civ, but it is one of the few colors left.

Isn't Spain's borders a shade of pale pink? Would a brighter pink have any historical importance for a civ in the game? I think a sharp pink border would look nice.

Imagine if America was, say, red, because of McDonalds, or something like that - would make no sense.

Red actually would make sense; it being a large part of the flag. I agree with the point you are making though, just not the best example.

Not really, while jade was used by Maori and Meso-American cultures, China (and Korea) had been using jade since the Neolithic period and always has been considered very valuable and important. Chinese Jade is known throughout the world and has been for a very long time.

Top Bottom