Civilization: Game vs. History

Given what's going on with a certain demographic, I don't believe we'll ever see George Washington in Civ again :sad:
I wouldn't be so sure. Aside from some albeit loud fringe elements, Washington is still widely revered in the US.

In-game Lines/Quotes:
All of Saladin's quote actually come from Baha ad-Din ibn Shaddad's work al-Nawādir al-Sultaniyya wa'l-Maḥāsin al-Yūsufiyya (Sultany Anecdotes and Josephly Virtues). Or, to be more precise, from English translation of this work and what is spoken in Arabic is back translation from English.

Attacked:
The English line is based on a quote by Saladin from translation of Baha ad-Din ibn Shaddad's work The Rare and Excellent History of Saladin - "I warn you against shedding blood, indulging in it and making a habit of it, for blood never sleeps."

Declares War:
From the source:
When the King saw the way in which his fellow -captive had been treated, he thought he was to be the second victim ; but the Sultan had him brought into the tent and calmed his fears. ' It is not the wont of kings,' said he, ' to kill kings; but that man had transgressed all bounds, and therefore did I treat him thus.

Defeated:
This one comes from an older translation by Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society and is actually from the same paragraph as the "Attacked" line, it's his words to his son Az-Zahir.
Seek to gain the hearts of thy subjects, and watch over all their interests, for thou art only appointed by God and by me to look after their good ; endeavour to gain the hearts of thy emirs, thy ministers, and thy nobles. I have become great as I am because I have won the hearts of men by gentleness and kindness. Never nourish ill-feeling against any man, for death spares none. Be prudent in thy dealings with other men, for (God) will not pardon unless they forgive you ; but as to that which is between God and thyself.
Although a more correct translation of the Arabic original is in the newer translation from which the English "Attacked" was sourced.
I only achieved what I have by coaxing people.

Delegation (Unvoiced):
There are two occasions when Saladin sent Richard the Lionheart fruits and snow.
Once during siege of Acre
That same day three envoys arrived from the king of England, and asked the Sultan for some fruit and snow. They added that, on the following day, the chief of the Hospitallers was coming to discuss the feasibility of a peace. The Sultan, instead of being angry, gave them an honourable reception, and allowed them to walk about in the market-place that had been established close to the camp. They departed the same evening, and returned to their quarters.
The second time when Richard fell ill after the battle of Jaffa.
Meanwhile the king constantly sent messengers to the Sultan for fruit and snow, for all the while he was ill he had a great longing for pears and peaches. The Sultan always sent him some, hoping by means of these frequent messages to obtain the information of which he stood in need. In this way he managed to ascertain that there were three hundred knights in the city, according to the highest computation, or two hundred reckoning them at the lowest numbers reported;

All of Saladin's quote actually come from Baha ad-Din ibn Shaddad's work al-Nawādir al-Sultaniyya wa'l-Maḥāsin al-Yūsufiyya (Sultany Anecdotes and Josephly Virtues). Or, to be more precise, from English translation of this work and what is spoken in Arabic is back translation from English.

Attacked:
The English line is based on a quote by Saladin from translation of Baha ad-Din ibn Shaddad's work The Rare and Excellent History of Saladin - "I warn you against shedding blood, indulging in it and making a habit of it, for blood never sleeps."

Declares War:
From the source:

Defeated:
This one comes from an older translation by Palestine Pilgrims' Text Society and is actually from the same paragraph as the "Attacked" line, it's his words to his son Az-Zahir.

Although a more correct translation of the Arabic original is in the newer translation from which the English "Attacked" was sourced.

Delegation (Unvoiced):
There are two occasions when Saladin sent Richard the Lionheart fruits and snow.
Once during siege of Acre

The second time when Richard fell ill after the battle of Jaffa.
Good to know the primary sources! Thanks! :)

An interesting detail about one of Hammurabi's unvoiced line. His "Delegation" line is
We invite you to taste the riches of Babylon. This dish is called 'the unwinding'.
I got curious of what is this dish and found out that "unwinding' is actually the name of a Babylonian dish whose recipe was found on a cuneiform tablet. “Unwinding” in this case refers to what sourdough does when added to the mixture. You can find more information and a recipe here, so you can make it yourself and invite somebody to taste the riches of Babylon. ;)

Top Bottom