Civilization II 64-bit Editbox Patcher (MGE+ToT) (Also works on Win10 1709 Fall Creators Update)

delevent.exe was used in old event based CIV2 scenarios that employed sequential events that were loaded as the game progressed thru time.
delevent cleared the old saved game scenario and allowed a user selected batch file to load the scenario update. the delevent file I have was for the 32 bit CIV2 MGE.

I'd upload it but since its an exe file its not allowed. If you can find the old Red Front scenario for Civ2 MGE the 32 bit file is in there

FoxAhead, I'm the least technical guy on the planet. As I read through your post it seems like this is a fix of an existing patch? I am starting fresh after my old PC died. New Windows 10 PC and new Civ 2 disk. Any chance you can walk me through getting this up and running from scratch?

FoxAhead, I'm the least technical guy on the planet. As I read through your post it seems like this is a fix of an existing patch? I am starting fresh after my old PC died. New Windows 10 PC and new Civ 2 disk. Any chance you can walk me through getting this up and running from scratch?
You can follow this guides:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-2-on-64-bit-operating-systems-start-here.463437/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...lla-to-64bit-computers-win-7-vista-xp.507226/
But instead of Mastermind's patch use mine from this current topic.
In short if talking about Civilization MGE (version 5.4.0f patch 3 also known as v1.3 US or v1.3 UK Ultimate Classic Collection):
1. In Windows 10 enable legacy component DirectPlay
2. Install
3. Patch CIV2.EXE and CIV2MAP.EXE with my Civ2x64EditboxPatcher.exe
4. Enable Indeo 4 codec to play videos and heralds.

I was finally able to get the game downloaded, but when I tried to install the patch I got this:
No version info detected.
Wrong file. Too much patterns found.
CAN NOT PATCH!

Again, I have very limited technical knowledge and I'm not sure what I'm doing here. Thoughts?

I was finally able to get the game downloaded, but when I tried to install the patch I got this:
No version info detected.
Wrong file. Too much patterns found.
CAN NOT PATCH!

Again, I have very limited technical knowledge and I'm not sure what I'm doing here. Thoughts?

Don't worry. I will try to guide you step by step. Probably you chosen wrong *.exe file. Here is what to do:
1. Run Civ2x64EditboxPatcher.exe. Click Browse button.
upload_2018-2-14_0-13-54.png

2. File dialog should open. Find where you have installed the game and select civ2.exe file. May be at this step you chosen wrong file.
upload_2018-2-14_0-17-27.png

3. After you chose file here is the step when selected file is checked. So text should say if is it OK and ready to be patched. If file is correct, then you should be able to click Patch! button.
upload_2018-2-14_0-19-42.png

4. After you clicked Patch! then confirmation dialog should popup. Click Yes to proceed.
upload_2018-2-14_0-22-8.png

5. Text should notify you about success.
upload_2018-2-14_0-22-42.png

Last edited:
I think you're mistaken. Red Front was created for the 16-bit FW, not the 32-bit MGE. What's more, the delevent files for both versions are identical, ie, 16-bit. However, a 32-bit version of delevent has already been created thanks to Keu.

Thanks for the info.
I'm only going on the download info for Red Front from the https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/modern1/ page. ... it lists FW or MGE as requirements. The scenario ran just fine with MGE under 32 bit systems with the 32 bit delevent file. Doesn't want to run extended event scenarios like Red Front and Second Front under 64 bit systems even with the 64 bit patch and the 32 bit delevent file. The delevent file fails to clear the old saved events when reloading the next "seasons" events so I thought that delevent was the problem. Other scenarios and the basic program are running fine with the 64bit patch.
Runs fine on iMac 64bit apple OS using a Wine wrapper, just wanted to run it on my laptop with windows 10.

Thanks for sharing the technical details. Even though I wrote a working patch (at least for the last 10 years) for the problem, I never *knew* exactly what it was. Debugging assembler without the source code was (and pretty much still is) beyond my technical expertise. I did a bit of trial and error, found something that worked (at least, that was good enough) and decided to share it with the rest of the world. Even after all this time, I'm glad to have a little more insight on the original problem.

Hi FoxAhead.
I have tried to install to Windows 10 by copying my Civ2 gold MPE disc to the usual folder in Program Files (x86)/Microprose/Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition. Then I extract the MPE files. Then I apply your patch successfully. Double click on civ2.exe and I get a spinning wheel and then nothing. I had it working on this machine as recently as last night and the update got me. Start a new city and crash. ok. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and now I can't even start the program. Thoughts? Help? Thanks in advance!

Hi FoxAhead.
I have tried to install to Windows 10 by copying my Civ2 gold MPE disc to the usual folder in Program Files (x86)/Microprose/Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition. Then I extract the MPE files. Then I apply your patch successfully. Double click on civ2.exe and I get a spinning wheel and then nothing. I had it working on this machine as recently as last night and the update got me. Start a new city and crash. ok. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and now I can't even start the program. Thoughts? Help? Thanks in advance!
Hi!
I just don't get terms you used. What do you mean by copying disc? And then extracting?
If you have CD with Civilization II MGE then you can just insert it in CD-drive, find SETUP.EXE and run it (or wait it to autorun) then just follow installation wizard. After you have installed the game then find directory where you have installed, find there CIV2.EXE and patch it with my patcher.
Additionally to be able to launch the game on Windows 10 you should enable legacy component DirectPlay.
If you haven't patched the game with no-cd patch then you should have CD present in the drive.
Also if you want to see in-game movies and heralds you should enable Indeo 4 codec. Otherwise there could be a black screen on startup with spinning wheel (is it what you described?) instead of intro movie, but you can just click mouse or press any key to continue to main menu. If you patched the game with no-cd patch then there will be no issues but no movies and cd-music also.

I was following the install directions from other threads. When I run SETUP.EXE from the disc, I get a blue spinning wheel for about 2 seconds and that is it. If I autostart the CD, I do get the beginning splashscreen. I select Install. Spinning wheel for 2 seconds, that screen disappears, and then nothing. I do have DirectPlay enabled. I was playing the game on this machine recently, which is part of what is driving me a bit nuts. I know the machine was set up right. Darn it! When I tried to install your patch, the system wouldn't allow me to open the CIV2.EXE file. I tried (dumb) to uninstall and reinstall. Now I can install your patch, but I can't get anywhere.
I was using the link at http://www.thesewall.com/2016/07/19/installing-civilization-ii-on-64-bit-systems/ to try to get the install back on the PC. And I do keep the disc in my drive so I have never used the no-cd patch. Regarding the Indeo 4 Codec, not sure how to check, but I did have movies working for wonders etc.

I was following the install directions from other threads. When I run SETUP.EXE from the disc, I get a blue spinning wheel for about 2 seconds and that is it. If I autostart the CD, I do get the beginning splashscreen. I select Install. Spinning wheel for 2 seconds, that screen disappears, and then nothing. I do have DirectPlay enabled. I was playing the game on this machine recently, which is part of what is driving me a bit nuts. I know the machine was set up right. Darn it! When I tried to install your patch, the system wouldn't allow me to open the CIV2.EXE file. I tried (dumb) to uninstall and reinstall. Now I can install your patch, but I can't get anywhere.
I was using the link at http://www.thesewall.com/2016/07/19/installing-civilization-ii-on-64-bit-systems/ to try to get the install back on the PC. And I do keep the disc in my drive so I have never used the no-cd patch. Regarding the Indeo 4 Codec, not sure how to check, but I did have movies working for wonders etc.
That is strange. So the problem is that you can not even run installation process. May be your CD is damaged?
I tried on my Windows 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248).
upload_2018-3-10_21-57-49.png

Inserted CD
upload_2018-3-10_21-58-6.png

Allow autoplay it (or start Autorun.exe). This splash screen appear.
upload_2018-3-10_21-59-44.png

I clicked 'Install'. Windows thinks a little and then popup question:
upload_2018-3-10_22-0-51.png

I choose 'Yes'. Then normal installation wizard starts (in fact this is SETUP.EXE which you can run directly).
upload_2018-3-10_22-1-34.png

After all further clicking installation process finishes without any problem. And after that I can use patcher to patch civ2.exe located in installation directory (by default it is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition').

The link you provided seems to be taken in account that CD you have is not the MGE version but a vanilla version (2.72 or similar) which is 16 bit and has no chance to run on Windows 10. So author suggest to directly copy all files from CD and then use upgrade to MGE version. Is it your case?
In my case I have CD with MGE version as you can see on splash screen.

I have the same program you do. Interesting. I can get the splash up. I click on install, but never get to the User Account Control screen. When I click on install, the splash disappears, the blue wheel spins as Windows thinks, then nothing. I have tried in 2 different drives. Hmm...

I completely deleted my Program Files (x86) folder for Microprose. That got me 1 step further. I got to the User Account Control Screen. Clicked yes. Then thinking and nothing. Hmm. Still banging on it.

Well, I can't get past the User Account Control screen. I click yes, then Windows thinks and spins the blue wheel, and then nothing. Very frustrating, considering I had it running on this machine already. I don't know if something is in the Registry or what could be causing Setup.exe to just stop running. Any ideas of things to try? I looked in the Control Panel - Uninstall to see if anything was in there, but didn't see anything. Reaching for straws...

In addition to the general recommendations about antivirus and firewall, I can only assume that your CD is damaged. I would recommend to check some abandonware sites or torrents for CD image. I do not advocate piracy in any way, but in this case your conscience should be clean, because you already own a copy of the disk.

Where are the general recs about antivirus and firewall? I haven't messed with that yet. Should I try installing in Safe Mode so there are fewer things running that might conflict?

Thanks for taking the time to help FoxAhead! Even if we don't succeed, I really appreciate it!

The comment about the antivirus did it. I ran in safe mode and installed just fine. I did have to right-click your patch and run it in administrator mode to get it to patch, but that ran. Up and gaming!
Thanks again FoxAhead!!!

The comment about the antivirus did it. I ran in safe mode and installed just fine. I did have to right-click your patch and run it in administrator mode to get it to patch, but that ran. Up and gaming!
Thanks again FoxAhead!!!
That's a good news! I'm still don't understand what exactly was wrong. But that would be a good example to anyone else having the same troubles.

Top Bottom