Civilization IV: Religious Victory

I hate to be negative, but this victory condition is domination-lite. You spread missionaries everywhere. The places that won't tolerate your missionaries entering their borders, you pound them into submission until you either 1: take their cities and convert them, 2: open their borders and convert from a distance, or 3: raze the cities that don't have your religion.

Yes, you have summed up what you need to do. This isnt always easy though. Other civs that are bastions for other faiths can resist very strongly. If it is too easy i would recommend upping the difficulty and playing agaisnt spiritual civs. Then other religions will be founded very quickly and conquering them wont be easy at all.

Works fine under warlords

Great idea but does AI knows how to achive it? I know that only victory that AI ever tryes is Space Race:mischief: but it would be cool if AI would try any other victory too.:king:

dh_epic said:
The way I see it, this victory can become too corny if you can achieve it by founding a religion, then putting everything else on hold while you pump out missionaries.

... Unless the AI is built to stop it. The AI would need to see a heavily expansionist religion, and then close its borders for the "block". Thus, you'd have to open the borders by force.

... Or if there's another requirement to the victory condition that makes it just a little more challenging. For example, you must convert 2/3 of players to your state religion. Or must build some kind of religious wonder before the discovery of free religion -- kind of like a spaceship victory 3/4 of the way through the game.

Just thinking out loud...

Once you get the required amount of people be able to build something hefty like the vatican or something, yeah, I could see that. You definately have to find a way to make this victory a LOT harder to actually do than the rest because if its just 2/3 of the worlds population then if you have a good missionary farm and some open borders agreements then you're just not going to see the industrial era. Make it so that other leaders have to accept your religion as their state one instead maybe.

Also in Fall From Heaven they have a Inquisitor sort of unit that kicks out non state religions from cities, this mod begs for one of those.

Speaking of FFH they had some sort of dragon cult thing that couldn't be a state religion and couldn't really be anything other than a pain in the ass. I definately think that some sort of paganism or Witchcraft or something cult would be appropriate or interesting, although obviously not to quite the extent as in FFH, if it was persistent enough or if you added the Inquisitors, made their sucess chances something like 50/50 and made them either cause lots of unhappiness or cut down on your population then a random cult like that could be very hard to deal with while going for this sort of win.

Somebody said something about whoever controls the shrine when it hits the big number gets the W, what if it was whoever built the hefty *Insert Approptiate Religious Victory Name Here* building in that shrine so that they pretty much had to control it for several turns.

The Ai has beat me with this victory condition, on a small map.

come opn want the mod to be completed
i cant wait

what about this condition : '2/3 of the cities must have a temple of your religion built' ?

then the victory rely on what your allies do... but it seems pretty to me since if you bring the religion to a city early in the game, you increase the probability that the player builts a temple (since happyness cap is a problem mainly in early/mid game). and diplomatic victory also depends of your allies ^^

This is a great concept. One of the best new ideas I've heard for Civ 4. If the developers gave it their attention, they could make the game more exciting by adding a more developed version of this victory condition as an victory option. Good work! :goodjob:

Top Bottom