[NFP] Civilization VI: Maya & Gran Colombia Pack Discussion Thread

Really? My hopes were quite low after not having read about it in the patch notes. I just hope the fix is not only for niter (the bug affected all ressources which came after niter)
It looks like that. It affected all strats, iron and horses including, in my experience.
But now I could swap a batch of 30 iron for 30 niter in one go, 1:1. Like never before. Great success! :)

Yes, thats the usual behaviour when the have reached 40 units. However, he might have refered to a different case: I remember that broke AI (=no lump gold anymore) offered 1 GpT for a strategic ressource units. Not sure if that was ever fixed (my report was here; the 2nd issue: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/1-0-0-328-two-1-piece-trading-exploits-still-present.646931/ )
Ah, I see. Well, no AI is broke in my current game atm. I'll keep an eye and report about that if such a case comes up.

In unrelated news, Steam thinks I need to install Civ VI, all of a sudden. But there is nothing to download. That was weird.

What an odd choice to have Gran Colombia, a nation that existed for only 11 years. I get that Bolivar is a George Washington-figure to many South Americans, but it kinda feels like having Yugoslavia in the game, or Czecho-Slowakia, or Austro-Hungary, or... well there are many more, less savoury examples.

Should just have called it 'Colombia'.

No

So the Appease the Gods competition showed up in my game and I initially thought that it was completely pointless. However, there is reward is where things get interesting: One free random promotion for all present and future soothsayer units. I believe that this is the only way to get a promotion for the soothsayer, but I am not 100% sure.

I completed the silver reward and got the promotion plague bearer. This promotion will put any city under siege when the soothsayer is adjacent to the city. Which, is pretty insane since this can be pretty hard to do for some cities and makes life a lot easier.

I looked into the game files and found the soothsayer promotions:
  • Messenger: +1 charge, +2 movement
  • Inquisitor: +1 charge, gains stealth
  • Zealot: +2 charges
  • Incantation: +1 charge, adjacent units get +5 combat strength
  • Plague bearer: +1 charge, adjacent enemy cities are automatically besieged
Some of these promotions are pretty crazy. Even if you get a "bad" promotion, the soothsayer can be a good offensive unit by inducing natural disasters. A volcano eruption can lay waste to a city, making it pretty easy to take it over.

Some other notes:
  • Eruptions induced by the soothsayer don't appear to fertilize tiles. I just tested this in my territory though.
  • If you have more than one unit stacked on each other, the soothsayer will sacrifice both of them at the same time. It worked with 2 warriors on top of each other, 3 warriors on top of each other crashed the game
  • Soothsayer + Great Bath = lots of faith

It really seems the AI has learned some tricks...they used to sink tons of Gold and GpT in disaster aid ermergencies. It seems that does days are over. The first such ermergency I was part of ended that way:

EmergencyCleverAI.jpg

Playing on Deity, I ignored the emergency first - used to the old AI behaviour, assuming that I would not be able to compete anyway. More out of curiousity, I had a look 3 turns bevor it ended. At that point only Gorgo had spend anything, while Wilhelmina and me had 0 Points and Philipp was in the negative. So, ok...I decided then to gift 1 single gold, assuming that I could steal a cheap 2nd place that way. I "forgot" the emergency again then...and was surprised that the Dutch AI likely payed attention to what I did, used the same trick and stole the silver medal back by pumping an astonishing 3 Gold into the emergency...

Some other notes:
  • Eruptions induced by the soothsayer don't appear to fertilize tiles. I just tested this in my territory though.
  • If you have more than one unit stacked on each other, the soothsayer will sacrifice both of them at the same time. It worked with 2 warriors on top of each other, 3 warriors on top of each other crashed the game
  • Soothsayer + Great Bath = lots of faith
I haven't tried the soothsayers, yet. But, in the live stream yesterday, they mentioned that your target will get the usual fertilization benefits from the disasters that you create. And, one of them mentioned causing disasters on himself to get those bonuses.

You shouldn't be able to stack units like that. Are you using some kind of N units per tile mod?

I tried out a little apocalypse mode, and none of the disasters I triggered seemed to fertilize anything, so I think that's by design. It appears though that the Great Bath however will increase faith, so if you get that, looks like you can create stupid faith on that river.

yeah haven't tried the soothsayer yet... Maya is not very conductive to having a religion, thus to having holy sites... and neither to capturing far away cities that have them...

Will surely get on that bandwagon once I try out Gran Colombia

It really seems the AI has learned some tricks...they used to sink tons of Gold and GpT in disaster aid ermergencies. It seems that does days are over. The first such ermergency I was part of ended that way:

View attachment 556769

Playing on Deity, I ignored the emergency first - used to the old AI behaviour, assuming that I would not be able to compete anyway. More out of curiousity, I had a look 3 turns bevor it ended. At that point only Gorgo had spend anything, while Wilhelmina and me had 0 Points and Philipp was in the negative. So, ok...I decided then to gift 1 single gold, assuming that I could steal a cheap 2nd place that way. I "forgot" the emergency again then...and was surprised that the Dutch AI likely payed attention to what I did, used the same trick and stole the silver medal back by pumping an astonishing 3 Gold into the emergency...

I actually saw an emergency aid resolution get voted down by the AI... I can't remember ever seeing that happen before. Maybe they weigh their feelings towards a civ in how they vote now? In the past it wasn't uncommon to see someone sending tons of money to another leader while they were at war with them...

View attachment 556769

Is that what "Lady Six Sky" is called in German Civ or did you change something? Pretty awesome :D

Maya is not very conductive to having a religion, thus to having holy sites
I got some good mileage out of a basic Religion + Monumentality for the Maya. Their gold income is astounding, but faith-buying Builders and Traders let me focus on gold-buying buildings and tiles.

Is that what "Lady Six Sky" is called in German Civ or did you change something? Pretty awesome :D
Could be the mod that changes things to their more "historically accurate" names; that's her name in Mayan. (I do dislike that that mod changes "Istanbul" to "Constantinople," which is not very historically accurate for an Ottoman city; Istanbul is the Turkish for Constantinople, folk etymologies not withstanding.)

Could be the mod that changes things to their more "historically accurate" names; that's her name in Mayan. (I do dislike that that mod changes "Istanbul" to "Constantinople," which is not very historically accurate for an Ottoman city; Istanbul is the Turkish for Constantinople, folk etymologies not withstanding.)

I noticed the exact same things a few days ago and was profoundly weirded out by it. Honestly, even the most amateur armchair historian knows that it was called Istanbul under Ottoman rule. It's either a ridiculous oversight or it has some weird political connotations I don't want to unpack :D

I got some good mileage out of a basic Religion + Monumentality for the Maya. Their gold income is astounding, but faith-buying Builders and Traders let me focus on gold-buying buildings and tiles.

I thought the Ottomans kept the official name as Constantinople until the fall of the empire and the rise of Turkey in the 1920s, when it was changed to its nickname, Istambul, which merely translates to "The Great City".

nice... honestly, I feel they have enough early-game challenges without adding the race to religion in there ;-)

For a bit of fun I set up an Americas AI only match (YNAEMP Greatest Earth) to play as background noise while I work (separate PC). Despite claims of being OP, Gran Colombia has been swept up by the Inca, while the Maya have flourished in the Caribbean despite once losing their capital.

So far, only Brazil has settled outside the Americas or Antarctic, settling in the Northeast of the Arabian Peninsula between a collection of city states.

Spoiler Screenshot :
received_179890196674580.png

Edit: Next, the Maya settled Iberia twice! And Canada settled South Africa.

I thought the Ottomans kept the official name as Constantinople until the fall of the empire and the rise of Turkey in the 1920s, when it was changed to its nickname, Istambul, which merely translates to "The Great City".
That's the folk etymology I was referring to. There are two linguistic theories about where Istanbul comes from: Greek εἰς τὴν Πόλιν, "to the City" or simply the Ottoman Turkish pronunciation of Κωνσταντινούπολις. The latter has gained a lot of traction in the past few decades. Folk etymology traces it to Islambol, "plenty of Islam."

Top Bottom