Civilization VI Mod Expansion Converter

Civilization VI Mod Expansion Converter v1.0.0

NerdByFate

Chieftain
NerdByFate submitted a new resource:

Civilization VI Mod Expansion Converter - Converts outdated mods to be compatible with the latest Civilization VI expansion(s).

This utility converts outdated mods to be compatible with the latest Civilization VI expansion(s) by modifying their config.xml files.

Disclaimer
--------------------------------------------------------
This will not work for every mod in existence. This application will only successfully convert mods that meet the following criteria:

1. The mod uses an xml based config file.
2. The mod does not use any broken or deleted code (i.e. the mod worked in the first place).
3. The config file follows...

This utility converts outdated mods to be compatible with the latest Civilization VI expansion(s) by modifying their config.xml files.

Disclaimer
This will not work for every mod in existence. This application will only successfully convert mods that meet the following criteria:

1. The mod uses an xml based config file.
2. The mod does not use any broken or deleted code (i.e. the mod worked in the first place).
3. The config file follows the same format as the base game's config file (most mods do, but I have encountered some that do not).
4. The config file does not exceed 100,000 characters.

Thanks for your understanding.

Installation:
1. Extract the .zip file (using your choice of extraction software) to any location on your PC.

2. Open the "Civ6ModConverter" folder and find "Civ6ModConverter.exe". This is the file you will run to launch the application. Feel free to create a shortcut to it and place on your desktop (or anywhere else you'd like) so you don't have to weed through a bunch of assets to find it (or don't, it's up to you).

Congratulations, you have installed the Civilization VI Mod Expansion Converter.

Usage:
1. Enter the path to your Steam installation (if you're using Windows, this will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\" without the quotation marks unless you've changed it).

2. Select which mod(s) you'd like to convert (Note: these will be listed as config files), ignoring all files that have "Text" in the name (converting these wouldn't actually cause any errors as nothing would happen, but it will waste your fleeting time).

3. Select the expansion(s) you'd like to convert the selected mods to (these buttons are labeled with icons representing their respective expansions).

4. Click the convert button, and enjoy your freshly converted mods.

Misc.
The source code for this application can be found here.

The entire creation of this application was recorded to be uploaded to YouTube in a series of videos called Programming Saturdays. You can watch the first episode here:

Thank you for your time!

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Love it! But when I try to choose the mods, most of them are only called "config" and I don't know which one is which. Is there a way to add the name of the mod please?

The program crashes when I type in the steam directory and click next. Any possible reasons?

Windows 7
Steam installed on different Drive to OS
Get error that CIV6ModConverter.exe has stopped working

"D:\Programs\Steam\" which is where steam is installed.

However, it crashes no matter what i type in.
The application should only crash when a location is entered that doesn't contain the sub-directories needed for the application to work. Just to verify, could you go through that Steam directory and ensure that "D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\" does, in fact, exist? If not, that would be the issue. Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what the issue here is.

Love it! But when I try to choose the mods, most of them are only called "config" and I don't know which one is which. Is there a way to add the name of the mod please?
I could add this feature in a future update, but there is a workaround you could try for now. Go into the Steam Workshop folder for Civ 6 ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\" by default). Check through the folders you see here until you find what looks like the mod you are looking for (the .modinfo file should be the giveaway). Rename the "Config.xml" file here to something else. Rerun the Mod Converter and select the file you just renamed. When the Converter is done, rename the file back to what it was before you renamed it. That mod should now work as expected.

How could I run this mod with CIV 6 purchased from Epic Games?
Well, to be honest, I hadn't even thought of the Epic Games version of the game when I was creating this application. That said, you could try to simulate the Steam mod file structure and that should theoretically work. In your mods folder, create a folder called "steamapps" (without quotation marks, and that applies to the following instructions as well). In that folder, create one called "workshop". Go into that folder and create yet another folder called "content". Lastly, create a folder inside that folder called "289070". Copy all of your mods into this last folder and then run the application, pointing it to your mods folder (NOT the ones you just created). It should work normally from here. You can move the mods back to the mods folder when you're done and delete the folders you created.

Top Bottom