(7a) VP Events Overhaul (Expansion Pack system)

rsc2a

Warlord
VP Events Overall (Expansion Pack System)
Download Here
The goal of this mod is to re-balance and expand both the core VP events and the (7) Community Events mod so there is more variety for those that use the events system. Primary objective of the mod is to:
  • Re-balance events so there is a more evenly distributed range of good/neutral/bad events and so the yields are aligned.
  • Set more events to expire to remove yield bloat. No more +/- 1 yields forever from an event. You can have 30 turns (or whatever) instead. Also making more events yield trade-offs instead of flat yields.
  • Adjust certain event types (e.g. natural wonder, religions) to create a little pain for the player. These are already enormous advantages for civilizations that control them; I don't want to make it even more lopsided.
  • Build / adjust certain event types (e.g. policy / ideology, corporation) so they aren't completely synergistic with the prerequisite policy/corporation. Aim is to provide a little more balance and prevent a massive snowball effect.
  • Diversify the different kinds of events so you don't see the same thing over and over. A lot of this is just coming up with new events and making sure the events cover all the eras in a well distributed fashion.
  • Make events more dynamic by making later events (or event choices) more dependent on earlier event choices. Think "build your own adventure" (BYOA) play style for events.
Within the mod, events are organized in expansion packs (EPs) so the player can pick and choice which packs they want to play with. The expansion packs (so far) include:

EP-0.....Tutorial / Flavor Events (work in progress) - Turn off Trade Events to disable
EP-1.....Natural Disasters (completed)
EP-2.....Era Based Events (completed)
EP-3.....City Specialization (completed)
EP-4.....Signs and Wonders (completed)
EP-5.....Natural Wonder Events (completed)
EP-6.....Religion Events (completed)
EP-7.....Policy / Ideology Events (in progress)
EP-8.....Corporation Events (currently using Community Events)
EP-9.....Civilization Events (currently using Community Events)
EP-10...Advisor Events (upcoming)

Many of the events are modified versions from core VP events and the (7) Community Events mod, so as new versions get posted, I will show which of those reference files need to be blocked from loading.

Relevant Threads
Events Balancing
Events System Brainstorm

If you are playing with this mod, you must disable the events in the (1) Community Patch and (2) Vox Populi. If you play with (7) Community Events, you must disable all events except for the Civilization and Corporation events. (Once everything is moved over, this mod will be set to block the Community Events mod.

If you want more events to fire, you should adjust "Event_Min_Duration_Between" and "City_Event_Min_Duration_Between" to be lower. (located in (1) Community Patch/Core Files / Core Tables / GameEventsTable.xml)

Collaborative modder note / request: For folks who would like to help build out EPs (or add events to existing EPs), the above links include discussions about event balancing, brainstorming ideas, and overall mod direction. I'm also trying to come up with more diverse ways for events to reward / punish players. EP-6 is a good example of what I'm hoping to accomplish. Ideally, as more events get added, the probabilities can also be lowered for each individual event. Same overall number of events but greater variety.

General note for non-modders: Feel free to suggest other EPs, individual events, or even individual event triggers / consequences that can be used to build events. The more ideas in the bucket, the more events that can be created.

Please let me know if you find any bugs, spelling errors, etc.

Last edited:
EP-1....Natural Disasters

Spoiler List of Events :
1707575425224.png

Several events are dependent on the decisions of previous events. Some events prevent future bad events from happening. Some events undo the effects of bad events.

EP-2.....Era Based Events

Spoiler List of Events :
1707575761840.png

Nomads has three different versions that could appear with six different outcomes.

EP-3.....City Specialization
EP-4.....Signs and Wonders

Spoiler List of Events :
1707576015340.png

Three versions of the core wanderer event with six different outcomes. Two versions of the farm bones event, depending on era. Four versions of the Fields of Gold event with eight different outcomes. Three versions of the guild sponsorship event with five different outcomes.

All city specialization events have a "do nothing" option. Universities and Public schools also have a 'let me think about it' option.

EP-5.....Natural Wonder Events

Spoiler List of Events :
1707576423609.png

This EP also changes the base natural wonder yields and reduces the scalers to +1 (instead of +2). Natural wonders are already really powerful, and this keeps them from becoming super tiles at the very beginning. Events will boost them significantly making them very desirable as things progress.

EP-6.....Religion Events

Spoiler List of Events :
1707576653540.png

One change I'd like to make is to adjust Event Choice 3. Right now, you keep them when you lose the religion but I'll need to do some work on two options to make it work.

Are bad events equal for AI and player, cause the one thing that's annoying is getting like a some turns of rebellion which causes you to fall behind like crazy

so....how?
Go on to the (1) Community Patcg and (2( Vox Populi. civmod folder and under <UpdateDatabase> put <!-- filename --> attend the event files. I'll screen shot an example when I get a chance.

Are bad events equal for AI and player, cause the one thing that's annoying is getting like a some turns of rebellion which causes you to fall behind like crazy
Yes, I believe that's the way it's coded.

Go on to the (1) Community Patcg and (2( Vox Populi. civmod folder and under <UpdateDatabase> put <!-- filename --> attend the event files. I'll screen shot an example when I get a chance.
It's ok, I'll wait for the final version tnks.

I have an idea for an event:

Trigger:
-Has researched combustion.
-Has researched replaceable parts.
-Has build at least 3 factories.

Role of the Automobile
One of the new wonders of our era is the automobile, this new horseless carriage is quickly taking over our cities as new and exciting models are developed in our factories. Factory owners, engineers, designers and the general public have many different, and conflicting, ideas about how we should use this new invention:

Options:
  • Automobiles should be luxurious vehicles for those who can afford. Factories gain +2:c5gold: and +1:c5culture: per turn.
  • Automobiles should be made practical and affordable for the masses. Factories gain +2:c5production: and +1:c5culture: per turn.
  • Manufactures should strive for constant innovation and better performance! Factories gain +2:c5gold: and +1:c5science: per turn.
  • Automobiles should be used for moving large amounts of people and cargo around. Factories gain +2:c5production: and +1:c5food: per turn.
  • Trains are more efficient, we should improve them instead. Train Stations gain +1:c5production: and +1:c5food:, Railroads are built 25% faster.
  • Horseless carriages? These will be just a passing fad... Sources of Horses gain +3:c5production:, +1:c5gold: and -1:c5science: per turn.

It's ok, I'll wait for the final version tnks.
You might already know how to do this but I figured I'd post the example for others that do not. Here is how you would do this:

If you are playing with this mod, you must disable the events in the (1) Community Patch and (2) Vox Populi. If you play with (7) Community Events, you must disable all events except for the Civilization and Corporation events in their modinfo files.

To do this, open up the modinfo file in each mode (you can use a text editor like notepad if you want), find the relevant files and either delete or comment them out. Commenting them out would look like this:

1708003327772.png

Notice the <!-- 'stuff you do not want' -->. That's what you want to do.

You might already know how to do this but I figured I'd post the example for others that do not. Here is how you would do this:

If you are playing with this mod, you must disable the events in the (1) Community Patch and (2) Vox Populi. If you play with (7) Community Events, you must disable all events except for the Civilization and Corporation events in their modinfo files.

To do this, open up the modinfo file in each mode (you can use a text editor like notepad if you want), find the relevant files and either delete or comment them out. Commenting them out would look like this:

View attachment 684707

Notice the <!-- 'stuff you do not want' -->. That's what you want to do.
You could just delete those events if you're playing with (7).

Thanks for the effort, really. However this is a prime example of the issues raised in the in the Gaia/Sapiens vs VP discussion.

See, however much of a great effort this is - I need to manually modify mod-mod files as if I'm a developer. I realize this surely won't take more than a minute, however it's simply unintuitive and not user friendly. Plus the entire concept lacks internal harmony and I don't get that - The Civ V community develops a COMMUNITY mod, and someone like yourself wants to upgrade a unique idea in the mod (events) - why not bring all involved and simply incorporate that into the main VP mod, or at least upgrade the (7) VP Community Events. The clutter and lack of harmony is simply insane at this point. And however much people like myself are in awe of VP - this simply drives us away from using it and updating it. The mess is simply too great, and the community is in disarray, expecting every user/gamer to try and arrange numerous conflicting mod-mods to enjoy the best Civ V experience out there.

Thanks for the effort, really. However this is a prime example of the issues raised in the in the Gaia/Sapiens vs VP discussion.

See, however much of a great effort this is - I need to manually modify mod-mod files as if I'm a developer. I realize this surely won't take more than a minute, however it's simply unintuitive and not user friendly. Plus the entire concept lacks internal harmony and I don't get that - The Civ V community develops a COMMUNITY mod, and someone like yourself wants to upgrade a unique idea in the mod (events) - why not bring all involved and simply incorporate that into the main VP mod, or at least upgrade the (7) VP Community Events. The clutter and lack of harmony is simply insane at this point. And however much people like myself are in awe of VP - this simply drives us away from using it and updating it. The mess is simply too great, and the community is in disarray, expecting every user/gamer to try and arrange numerous conflicting mod-mods to enjoy the best Civ V experience out there.
This ☝️

See, however much of a great effort this is - I need to manually modify mod-mod files as if I'm a developer. I realize this surely won't take more than a minute, however it's simply unintuitive and not user friendly. Plus the entire concept lacks internal harmony and I don't get that
- The Civ V community develops a COMMUNITY mod, and someone like yourself wants to upgrade a unique idea in the mod (events) - why not bring all involved and simply incorporate that into the main VP mod, or at least upgrade the (7) VP Community Events....
It's a first step so I can get some play-testing and feedback without people having to miss out on the system they may already be used to. The whole goal (based on community feedback) is to re-imagine the events system based on these expansion packs so players could pick and choose the packs they want to play with. I'm also reaching out to the original developers to get feedback and help so it feels more like an upgrade and less of a replacement.

The initial piece of the plan was be to completely update all of the events in both base VP and (7) VP Community Events and put them in their relevant EPs. I've done this for the base VP events and have done this for much of the Community Events, but it takes a while to work through everything. I'm about to finish updating the corporate events and that would only leave the civilization events. But it takes a while, especially when you are trying to balance events across 43 different civilizations.

At the same time, I'm trying to set up templates for each category and include them in the modpack so individuals who create custom civilizations, natural wonders, religions, etc... can seamlessly create events that would plug into the expansion pack system with the same balance, look, and game feel. I'm trying for consistent diversity...lots of different events and outcomes within an expansion pack but the Natural Wonders EP itself feels internally consistent whether you own El Dorado or Mt Kailash.

Once I have pulled the old corporation and civilization events into this system and updated them, I'll set this mod to block both the core VP events as well as the (7) VP Community Events mod, and it will be just a simple matter of selecting the mod to play it.

The clutter and lack of harmony is simply insane at this point. And however much people like myself are in awe of VP - this simply drives us away from using it and updating it. The mess is simply too great, and the community is in disarray, expecting every user/gamer to try and arrange numerous conflicting mod-mods to enjoy the best Civ V experience out there.
A lot of this is simply a result of more options. Some people want events. Some don't. Some want Enlightenment Era. Some don't. Some want more Wonders. Some don't....

It is to be expected that given such a variety, there might be some conflicts. You can buy a bunch of Lego sets and, for the most part, everything works together. But there will be pieces that don't fit with other pieces, and the more sets you dump together, the greater the chance for a mismatch somewhere.

Top Bottom