Civilization VII Wishlist

aztlani

Chieftain
<hey Civ Community,

// Old Stuff:
- PLEASE KEEP Governor gameplay (new Great Person class?).
- PLEASE KEEP power and weather system, it's very relevant to modern times (fusion energy as late game power spike?).
- FOR THE LOVE OF SID PLEASE KEEP District gameplay.
- PLEASE KEEP going crazy with the music and leader animations and backdrops. Amazing state-of-the-art stuff!!!

// New Stuff:
- Future Era is increasingly relevant and should be expanded upon.
- Please tone down the Overwatch/Fortnite audiovisual-LSD art style. Make this a real Renaissance man's game.
- Please study depictions of each leader and culture respectfully. A few are extremely disrespectful (ie. Montezuma and Amanitore).
- Please simulate economic strata (street cleaners, crime and unrest, farmers, craftsmen, merchants, landowners, etc.).

// Pie in the Sky Stuff:
- Add multiplanetary gameplay (the practice will be needed)
- Add branching civic and tech paths to specialize your Civ in later Eras (genetic vs. cybernetic mastery, police states, secret societies are a titillating feature and should be kept in mind.).
- Slavery is an undeniable fact of human history and should not be skirted around.

// Never stop respecting your audience and all the billions of humans you represent in the Civilization franchise!

_aztlani>

better endgame mechanics and ensure that snowballing does not lead to hit end of turn till game is finished
better multiplayer support and maybe tournaments and such
support for bigger and even bigger maps

Better diplomacy.
Get rid of the religious victory condition or change it so it's not just unit spam.
Please change the world congress so the things you're voting on are impactful - maybe just have one thing each session to vote on.
I just want the civ 5 system back, or something that builds on it.
The system was vastly superior, and to this day I still cant fathom how the developers scrapped that great system in favour of this steaming pile of horsehocky that is civ 6's World Congress.

I just want the civ 5 system back, or something that builds on it.
The system was vastly superior, and to this day I still cant fathom how the developers scrapped that great system in favour of this steaming pile of horsehocky that is civ 6's World Congress.

Anton Strenger designed world congress for both Civ 5 and Civ 6, interestingly.

Slavery is an undeniable fact of human history and should not be skirted around.
I agree with you, I hope Civ7 not just add slavery mechanics at the game, as also made a cool scenario to we play with.
As the best option to a civ leader to have a slavery ability is Ghezo from Dahomey empire.

I agree with you, I hope Civ7 not just add slavery mechanics at the game, as also made a cool scenario to we play with.
As the best option to a civ leader to have a slavery ability is Ghezo from Dahomey empire.
Moderator Action: Please keep this one to game mechanics discussion. You have hijacked two other threads to discuss slavery, this one will not be the third.

I thought it was Ed Beach?
Or he was just the lead for both expansions, and Anton designed the WC for both?

better endgame mechanics and ensure that snowballing does not lead to hit end of turn till game is finished
better multiplayer support and maybe tournaments and such
support for bigger and even bigger maps
yes i must agree huge maps makes it more realistic and exciting!
multiplayer will always be shoddy due to life getting in the way etc. but maybe a guilds system? i guess steam groups fills that niche

One thing I wish they would do with tourism is, with each city you own, give breakdowns as to what exact other civs are visiting your own cities. That might be an interesting demographic stat for each city's population as well: show how many people residing there are from your civ and what percentages are from the AI civs.

I like how, when your civ is the first to find a river/ocean/mountain/desert/ocean, you get to name it. I just wish you had more control over what you named it. This is one area where OLD WORLD did it better, I think.

Archeology could be improved slightly. You know how when cities get razed, they vanish? Maybe that tile (or a tile in the general area) could become a potential archeology site when you discover the Archeology tech, and if you unearth it, could discover a lost city (which could maybe function like an artifact on steroids).

While on the subject, paleontology would be cool as well. Digging up dinosaur bones!

Some kind of Olympics would be neat. Something to help bring all the civs together. On the opposite end of the spectrum, world wars would be something to add interest to the late game. Also, religious crusades would be fun in the Medieval era.

Climate disasters were a good idea and should stay, but I REALLY would love to see plagues/epidemics as well. Ditto for earthquakes. I also think that, in regards to nuclear explosions/reactor accidents, the tiles affected should be unusable/dangerous for WAY longer than they actually are.

I agree that districts need to stay in the game. As for music, I think giving each civ an ancient, medieval, industrial and atomic theme (along with a number of extra ambient tracks) was a GREAT idea, and I hope they do that again going forward. I also like the Timeline a great deal, but there should be an option, at the game's end, to look at the timelines of the other civs as well.

One thing from the older games I wish they would bring back: the ability to manually place your own roads. It's a minor thing, but I preferred the way that Civ V announced a new era: a cool picture and an appropriate quote. Civ VI's changing of the eras is a bit bland.

Please simulate economic strata (street cleaners, crime and unrest, farmers, craftsmen, merchants, landowners, etc.).

I don't think they'll ever put city-level economic details like that in the game. Generally, Firaxis' policy has been to omit, or reduce to vague abstractions, anything from history that people might find even mildly objectionable: crime (apart from espionage), law enforcement, prisons, POWs, unemployment, social classes, religious persecution, racial/ethnic hostility, the big one that I won't mention because of Leif Erikson's comment, even taxes...I'm sure I could keep going with more examples.

Climate disasters were a good idea and should stay, but I REALLY would love to see plagues/epidemics as well.

In light of some...recent historical events, I would be very, very surprised if Firaxis put plagues/epidemics in a future Civ game. Disease-related mechanics in historical strategy games will be taboo until at least 2040, if not longer.

With that mindset it would be impossible to chop jungle tiles or wage war. I wish people would be a little less full of themselves and not get offended by a game mechanic.

when there’s shooter games with headshots and dismemberment of body parts, I dont think any topic is off limits for strategy games. Strategy game systems are often abstract as opposed to a shooter. You could teach people about horrible events and let them know why it is horrible - fight against it. As long as there’s a toggle for some settings, I’m ok with whatever.

CIV already allows you to "play genocide" by razing cities and exterminate barbarians. :crazyeye:
I think some people is turning too paranoid about what could or not be represented in game.

In light of some...recent historical events, I would be very, very surprised if Firaxis put plagues/epidemics in a future Civ game. Disease-related mechanics in historical strategy games will be taboo until at least 2040, if not longer.
Not sure why it would be taboo? The Pandemic Legacy board game series even became more popular during the Covid pandemic.

yeah, I seem to recall Crusader Kings III also doing some kind of "Black Death" themed promo event around the lockdown period in 2020
Civ 6 also had the Black Death scenario, granted it came out with GS in 2019. I was hoping that they would have expanded on that for the base game.

Hmm.

That is interesting. I'm not sure why he felt the changes made in Civ 6 were an improvement. The WC in 6 is pretty poorly implemented - there's just too much there. Sometimes less is more.
I don't remember how it worked in 5 but I don't recall having negative feelings about it.

Climate disasters were a good idea and should stay, but I REALLY would love to see plagues/epidemics as well. Ditto for earthquakes. I also think that, in regards to nuclear explosions/reactor accidents, the tiles affected should be unusable/dangerous for WAY longer than they actually are.

I'm just not a fan of being at the mercy of a random number generator. I know the fate of many a civilization has been heavily affected by disasters but it doesn't make for a fun game. Volcanoes and floods you can adapt to, but hurricanes and especially tornadoes just rub me the wrong way.

Hmm.

That is interesting. I'm not sure why he felt the changes made in Civ 6 were an improvement. The WC in 6 is pretty poorly implemented - there's just too much there. Sometimes less is more.
I don't remember how it worked in 5 but I don't recall having negative feelings about it.
I am pretty convinced he had to follow the larger design of civ6. The “boardgame” civ edition. Everything they did with civ6 fits with the boardgame mentality. I think Ed Beach is the root of the problem.

Top Bottom