CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

GoldBerg said:
The AIs that we are able to create

in those micro-miniature-monster-machines of today

are more and more like bio-logical beings (if the programmers want to do it that way),

able to 'learn' and react in nearly-lifelike rulesets and enviroments and stuff...

Not sure how literate you are on the topic, but programming "biological being" is very far from obvious and straightforward.

I remember seeing news, recently, that a research team achieved the prowess of letting such an AI learn to play Atari's Breakout by itself, but still failed when confronted to Ms. PacMan or Montezuma's Revenge: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v518/n7540/full/nature14236.html

Needless to say the complexity of CIV's gameplay is hugely superior to Breakout or even Super Mario.

But I agree that in some way, there could be modern AI techniques injected in a modern take on Civ like CivOne.

The Civilization AI cheats, but it works according to certain rules.
The implementation of the AI in CivOne will work exactly like the original AI. Thanks to darkpanda, a lot of the AI 'brain' has been deciphered and I have no doubt that we will get the exact AI into CivOne.

Things will (hopefully) get interesting when the modding API is implemented. I want everyone to be able to create their own AI and even let them compete against each other.

Sorry for my lack of updates btw, I've got an extremely busy period at work.
I think I can continue making huge development steps around the end of next week.

Also: I've got my new Windows tablet, I will eventually add a patch to make sure the game works well with a touch interface. :)

@SWY - I admire a lot your dedication to recreate the "vanilla" game, and am very glad that you are making progress in this regard!

I think that playing against the old AI that cheated was quite fun and still is, but it would be great to have the option to tweak it. I have many ideas, probably like many enthusiasts here.

I remember one funny thing about wonders and AI - I discovered that the enemy civ built wonders randomly. I have a saved game in which in the next turn one enemy civ will build a wonder. So by reloading the game, the civ built different wonders (I think that it was limited to the techs available to it). Also, an other funny memory is when I lost a battleship to a phalanx fortified on a mountain shore :)

Not sure how literate you are on the topic, but programming "biological being" is very far from obvious and straightforward.
Strange, that you did pick something that was just type of 'a sideway of my thoughts' in that posting.
Spoiler :
The mainline was
I guess when they did program ol' Civ back in the 1980s,
this was the fake-and-cheat-AI 'stuff' they could create to-pretend-to-work-like-an-AI,
to work on their customers' dinosaur computers of those days ...flawlessly,
nothing more or less.
Let's forget about this. Especially here, not the right place.
Future will tell.
Let's take that challenge philosophically,
for example:

If an 'artificial intelligence' would have to deal with it's ...death/end-of-the-line at 'game over',
would it influence the gameplay?
;)

... I agree that in some way,
there could be modern AI techniques injected in a modern take on Civ like CivOne.
Try to ...imitate most perfectly what those 1980s guys have done.
You know, they'd spend months with adjusting, balancing the fake-AI, the gameplay of civDos.
With modern AI programming, or alternative gameplay everything will change.
We get a game that -just- looks-like-civDos ...
Spoiler :
...and there's already something like that: FreeCiv (CivNet revisited)
I didn't like FreeCiv's single-player mode,
that single-player-gameplay of FreeCiv 'felt' more like Civ2 anyway (when i did test it in ~2002)...

Maybe i'd like FreeCiv in single-player-mode more
if it would have civDos graphics and game announcements (there was a non-legal graphics-set somewhere on the net ...back in the days... that made FreeCiv look like civDos ...i remember)
...et cetera...,
...(but) i'm not sure about this point myself.

No, kidding ... you are doing a Civ 1 remake? This is so great! I love the first part of the series the most. Civ 4 and 5 is fun, yeah ... but Civ 1 has the tru spirit.
So when you think will the remake be ready for testing? Would love to have a look.

This is awesome!

I really love Civilization original, the game is simple, and fast.
Waited 10 years for someone who decied to make remake.

SWY, how can i donate?

Greetings,
Moscow, Russia

I think it is fantastic that you are re-creating the classic game.
Like many of us on this forum, I have a list of enhancements that I think should have been part of the original game but the designers just didn't get around to.
A couple options to add when you have the time and if you agree they are worthwhile:

1) In a democracy, the courthouse improvement is useless. It would be great to give the democratic leader a reason to keep his/her courthouses. So how about this? A city going into disorder will not crash the government if it has a courthouse.

2) The "out of town" rule for military units in a republic/democracy really bugs me. I agree there should be some consequences for going to war, but a reasonable defense must be maintained. So I propose that a unit out of the town center square will not cause unrest if the square it occupies is being worked by citizens of its home town. This make sense since the troops that make up that that unit could conceivably live in the square they are defending. Of course, if you relocate your citizens to a different square in the town's BFC, you'd better move the unit(s) with them. The same rules would apply to martial law in monarchy/despotism of course.

Both of these proposed tweaks seem to me to be very much in the spirit of the original game.
I have no expectations, just wanted to share ideas.
Again, recreating the old Civ is an amazing project.

I liked the idea of Civ2 that Troups in fortresses are allowed for republics/democracies, so your can at least build defensive borders.

Any news of the Civ1-recreating project, btw?

*Subscribed in case there are updates to this thread.

up)
Guys, whoever contact with author via email or whatever - tell him we are still here!)

Just in case SWY returns some day:

I think there's a small error in rendering irrigation on plains. The plains texture should be drawn top on the irrigation texture, so that it's easier to identify irrigated plains from irrigated grasslands.

I've been playing around with the sources a bit (I've implemented most of the city screen and the game mechanics required for that) , but it's very unlikely that I get perfect clone of CivDOS ever finished.

Also I think that we should collect all info of civDOS inner mechanics found on this forum and site and write it down to one place (post/thread). I think it would help SWY and anyone else who wants to work on remake or do modding.

I heard of book Rome 64K a day (or something like that). Is there online version of it?

Hi guys, I'm back.
I'm so very sorry I abandoned this thread and stopped updating. There's some personal reasons that needed to be settled, and my focus was on my family and work. It's sort of better now. (don't worry, nothing bad happened) I received a PM from someone who wanted to contribute to the code. I plan on picking up where I left off. Still got some changes that I want to check into the GitHub archive.

I will sort out the code on GitHub and report back to this thread within a week.
It would be great to get a playable version ready before the 25th anniversary.

Please, be patient, it's going to take some time to get things sorted out, but I'm back and I'll try to remain back.

Talk to you soon!

Hi guys, I'm back.
I'm so very sorry I abandoned this thread and stopped updating. There's some personal reasons that needed to be settled, and my focus was on my family and work. It's sort of better now. (don't worry, nothing bad happened) I received a PM from someone who wanted to contribute to the code. I plan on picking up where I left off. Still got some changes that I want to check into the GitHub archive.

I will sort out the code on GitHub and report back to this thread within a week.
It would be great to get a playable version ready before the 25th anniversary.

Please, be patient, it's going to take some time to get things sorted out, but I'm back and I'll try to remain back.

Talk to you soon!

I was losing hope. I am so glad that you are back!

I've implemented the land value calculation code (thanks to Darkpanda). I should now be able to correctly set the players start positions and get the single/double start settlers correct.
After that I've got a bit of old code (from my previous attempt) to implement into the CivOne code. We should be able to move units around, build cities, have partial city management and technological advancement implemented by the end of next week.
It feels good to work on this again, even though there's probably only a handful of people waiting for this...

Now, in answer to @ColdRock:
You asked where you can donate. It's very kind for you to offer, but I will not accept any donations. It will not speed up the development in any way, and I'm not looking to make money from this. Please, use your money to support a charity. ;)

It feels good to work on this again, even though there's probably only a handful of people waiting for this...

I say it is a remake with huge potential, especially if you will make it easy to mod, because this is the game that started it all. There might be a few supporters now, but I am sure with time this get more and more attention from fans!

I'm taking a lot of detours, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist...
Right now, CivOne can be compiled on MacOS X as a native Cocoa application (instead of GTK).
I've only implemented the graphics rendering and mouse clicks at the moment... but it's working perfectly.

Short list before the first alpha release:
(I will keep editing the short list in this post and strike through points that I have finished)

• General: Implement original Settlers placement (done)
  • General: Implement Double Settlers code
  • General: Allow units to move around (done)
  • All platforms: If missing, ask for Civilization data files (done)
  • OS X: Implement mouse and keyboard events
  • OS X: Implement window sizing and full screen

I expect to get all these points finished in about a week. After that I will start bugging you with requests to test the game. :p

Top Bottom