Civs for meeting the barbarian clans?

Abaxial

Emperor
I guess everyone here is planning to start a new game as soon as the new patch goes live. What are your thoughts about the best civ for the task?

Gilgamesh and Ambiorix could be plausible as well as Mansa Musa.

Sumeria is the ideal choice, as they have bonuses for both clearing outposts and levying city-states, allowing them to interact with barbarians in both directions.

Other city-state civs like Greece, Georgia, and Hungry will also greatly benefit from being able to spawn more city-states on the map over the course of the game.

Or just play as any civ that’s good at generating early gold and harass your neighbors with endless proxy attacks for laughs.

Maybe Greece as Pericles just for fun.

Actually, in this game mode, does that mean that there's no City States until the barbarians settle down and stop being idiots?

Aside: Barbarians always remind me of training a puppy or kitten with a squirt bottle of water.

Maybe Greece as Pericles just for fun.

Actually, in this game mode, does that mean that there's no City States until the barbarians settle down and stop being idiots?

Aside: Barbarians always remind me of training a puppy or kitten with a squirt bottle of water.

We don't know for sure, but the video made it look that way.

I'll restate my point for Mali in a more understandable way.

Mali benefits from more Gold from Mines, so naturally, if you want to spend some unnecessary Gold that you won't need, you can use it to basically purchase Units from various Barbarians around you, giving you a better military defense which your Gold output will sustain.

I'll restate my point for Mali in a more understandable way.

Mali benefits from more Gold from Mines, so naturally, if you want to spend some unnecessary Gold that you won't need, you can use it to basically purchase Units from various Barbarians around you, giving you a better military defense which your Gold output will sustain.
Not to mention bribing them from not attacking you and paying them to attack other civs. :mischief:

Honestly I wanted to start a new game with Wilhelmina with Corporations mode on and now I want to try her with the barbarian mode too.
I feel she won't get as much gold early game as Mansa but it still might be enough if I could get enough harbors and commercial hubs along rivers quickly.

It's fun to me that Greece can either benefit from the culture-farming (Gorgo) or from the City States (Pericles) but not both.

Well in Gorgo's case, she keeps the Acropolis and its +1 Envoy, so it's a bit more like:

"Y'know, I could be killing you and getting a lot more value from it. Or I could keep you alive and absorb you into my empire but the other guy does that better."

Top Bottom