Civs You'd Like to See

bioelectricclam

Warlord
So, this thread is about Civs that you'd like to see included in the Civilization series (either in an expansion or a future game).

Here are my suggestions:
C.S.A. (Confederate States of America)
Now, I realize that the C.S.A. was shortlived and it is easy to think that it ought to just be bundled into the U.S.A., but I feel that the Civ series is as much about what-ifs as it is about history. What if the Confederacy had won the Civil War and gone on to become a major Western power? It nearly happened if not for Confederate plans being intercepted by Union soldiers shortly before the battle of Antietam. C.S.A. scientists also contributed greatly to many modern military technologies, including iron-clad battleships, submarines, rocketry, and machine guns. In addition, many modern aspects of American culture, such as rock and roll, owe themselves to the unique cultural sphere that was cultivated in America's south. I realize that there is a certain deserved stigma about the Confederacy and its support of slavery, but many Civilizations that are represented in the Civ series have bloody histories of slavery and genocide - the Roman gladiator games come to mind.

Leader: I'd go with Robert E. Lee over President Davis, in the same way that Hannibal is treated as the leader of the Carthagians.

Unique Unit: Turret Ship* (Replaces Ironclad) +25% defense on coastal tiles. The Confederacy was well known for meeting superior Union numbers with the most advanced technology available at the time. To that end, much effort was done to convert the captured wooden ship U.S.S. Merrimack into an iron-clad warship. The new ironclad thus created, dubbed the C.S.S. Virginia, proved to be an effective deterrent against Union wooden ships, forcing the Union to quickly scramble to come up with a solution. The result was the first showdown between iron-clad warships, the famous Monitor and Virginia duel.

Unique Building: Plantation Home (replaces Castle) Garrisoned units heal 25% health/turn. Much of the Confederacy's economy depended on the existence of Plantation homes, large estates that dominated the Southern tobacco and cotton trade. During the Civil War, these houses served the confederate armies as command centers and hospitals.

Barbary
Perhaps the most famous pirate nation in history, the Barbary pirates patrolled vast stretches of sea, from the Mediterranean to the North Sea, from the late medieval period up to the nineteenth century. Barbary thrived on the African slave trade, with their corsairs sometimes emptying entire cities of their population to be sold to Libyan dealers. The nation was a serious threat to Christian shiptrade (as a Muslim city-state, the Barbary pirates famously spared any Muslim ships) and coastal towns up until the French conquered Algiers in the 1830s, leaving behind a legacy that survives today in literature in such books as Robinson Crusoe and The Count of Monty Christo.

Leader: Barbarossa (not sure which of the four brothers to choose though, haha). Here's one of them.
UU: Corsair (replaces Privateer) +50% blockade yield
UB: I was thinking some sort of coastal castle, but couldn't find an appropriate title.

Tibet
Just read the wikipedia article (Tibet's history is too long, haha).

Leader: Songtsän Gampo (Creative, Spiritual). Like many Civ leaders, I just chose the founder of the kingdom of Tibet as the leader.

UU: Lama (replaces Missionary) free Mobility promotion, not subject to border restrictions (as in, can enter an enemies territory even without open borders without penalty).
UB: Pillar (replaces Monument), +1 happiness per 25% culture slider (think Coliseum).

Hunnic Empire
Although they might be stepping on the Mongols toes, I feel that the Huns deserve a place in Civilization; after all, they managed to do what Carthage, the Celts, Germany, and Persia could not - beat back the Roman legions.

UU: Horsemen (replaces Horse Archer) causes collateral damage.
Leader: Attila (Aggresive, Organized)
UB: ????

Anyways, those are my suggestions, anyone have another Civ they'd love to see added?

*Historically, "Turret Ship" is somewhat inaccurate in describing the Confederacy's famed ironclad C.S.S. Virginia, as the ship did not have a swiveling turret like it's Union counterpart, the Monitor. However, I feel that this is the closest thing to a unique name for the Confederate ironclads, as they were simply called Ironclads in their day.

I wouldn't even consider the ones(except for tibet) above until Poland, Austria, Polynesia, Brazil, Assyria, Hittites Venezuela/Gran Colombia, Vietnam and Siam plus a couple of african states are added.

Knowing the history of these kind of threads, wether you like it or not... this is gonna become a flame war/troll/quote war thread and will be closed by the first 5 pages(if the first two) or by the 35th page(if the third).

For what it's worth, I'd often contemplated the inclusion of the Barbary states
but usually decided that they could be represented by either playable barbs, or else ones that you could negotiate with and secrtly hire against your rivals and enemies.

I wouldn't even consider the ones(except for tibet) above until Poland, Austria, Polynesia, Brazil, Assyria, Hittites Venezuela/Gran Colombia, Vietnam and Siam plus a couple of african states are added.

Knowing the history of these kind of threads, wether you like it or not... this is gonna become a flame war/troll/quote war thread and will be closed by the first 5 pages(if the first two) or by the 35th page(if the third).

I can certainly agree with a few of those, but I think that one of the problems (that they share with my C.S.A. idea) is that they can be lumped into other civilizations. For instance, Poland has invariably been a part of Prussia, Russia, Germany, and the Holy Roman Empire, as well as being nominally independent, so in a way it is represented in the other empires. (I'm not blasting Poland or the Polish people here, just saying that including Poland would be difficult because of the nature of its history as the victim of wave after wave of conquerors...although maybe the Huskarl could be its UU?)

As for the hittites and assyria, unfortunately for them they are too similar to other ancient cultures, like babylon and sumer, to justify having by themselves (I mean, it is already a stretch coming up with Sumer's vultures...can't imagine a decent UU for those empires).

And finally, offshoot kingdoms (though I'd like to see them show up in civ...possibly as leaders of colonies), are usually not included because, well, you can always play as their founder (hence why we don't see Australia or Brazil, because you could technically represent them with the British and the Portuguese). And yes, I realize that the U.S. is an exception to the rule, but otherwise this rule seems to hold.

As for African kingdoms, I think that they've done alright with Ethiopia, Zulu, and Mali. Although I do find it ironic that you blasted my Barbary idea, considering it is an African kingdom.

Now that I think about it, Egypt is also African technically.

Gotta be Australia..surely 200 years in existance qualifies

UU......ANZAC........ a rifleman which recieves a 50% fortification bonus anywhere in the field after one turn stationary.

UB.......any ideas ?

Here is my list of ones to add (not in any particular order):
Hittite
Brazil
Hun
Poland
Austria-Hungary (or just Austria)
Assyria
Serbia
Bulgaria
Israel
Congo
Mexico
Tibet
Uighur
Polynesia
Australia
Canada

Lots to choose from!

Israel
Poland
Austria-Hungary (Could be assimilated into a TRUE Holy Roman Empire)
Viet-Nam/Dai-Viet
Brazil (Could be included for "Colonial Revolution!" scenarios!)

I'd say Austrian Empire with Hussar as UU (could be an improved cav or cuirassier). Opera house would be their UB, perhaps a theatre that generates a small money bonus or extra culture. I'd say Vietnam might be good too but Civ IV with expansions already has quite a few civs and adding more wouldn't improve the gameplay much i.e. they'd be too similar to existing civs.

There are two or three Confederate Civs in the mod download section.
Strategyonly has one that updates units graphically as it progresses
(ie. musketmen look like southern civil war musketmen. UB is the
Cotten Exchange- replaces Customhouse, no UU.
Queeg has a version that has the same UB but has a 2 move rifleman
with Drill UU.
There are Isreali, Hittite, Assyrian (Esnaz) and Australian Civ (Aranor) as well.

I can see Poland as a civ. For a couple of centuries it was a major European power. CSA though, half a dozen years as a breakaway state doesn't qualify it as a civ IMO.

I'd like to see the Phonecians, Hittites, Hebrews etc but its a period and area of history I'm interested in.

The Barbary Coast was never a state, it was a collection of small Arab states nominally subject to the Ottomans. Can't see a need for it as a seperate civ.

1 civ I'd like to see disappear from the game is India. There have been a lot of diverse cultures in India and to lump them all together is lazy IMO. Drop India and add the Harappans, Maurya, Chola and Sikhs (at least).

If the HRE can be included why not the Habsburgs? Austria-Hungary was just part of their empire.

edit: But i can see the CSA and Barbary Corsairs existing as civs in scenarios, just that IMO there are better options than them for the main game

Huns would be nice but i think that they'll be placed to close to Mongol in AI, UU and UB to be easy to plot in without being seen as a copycat

i would actually like to see a Siam civilization and doesn't really have anything to pinpoint any protential problems with them (other than prehaps that Khmer gets a worse start on earthmap expansivewise, but thats the same deal in europe allready so ...)

Otherwise i have to admit that ithink that there is allready all the needed civilizations around ... rest of the civilizations that might could be added is either former colonies or have been covered by others due to repeatedly conquering of them from diffent parties

For instance, Poland has invariably been a part of Prussia, Russia, Germany, and the Holy Roman Empire, as well as being nominally independent, so in a way it is represented in the other empires. (I'm not blasting Poland or the Polish people here, just saying that including Poland would be difficult because of the nature of its history as the victim of wave after wave of conquerors...although maybe the Huskarl could be its UU?)

See what i mean? In a second, you'll see me starting a flame war and a quote war at the same time... Well here i go...

For instance, Poland has invariably been a part of Prussia, Russia, Germany, and the Holy Roman Empire,

Let's start things of. Poland has been existent for a very long time, with even city states much like the Greek city states(around 500-800 AD) and a bigger Polish State around 900 AD. Poland has been first recorded in history in in 966 AD when King Miezko I of Poland converted Poland to Christianity and started to unite the city states. When Miezko convert Poland to Christianity, he began the Piast Dynasty. Now for Part II.

Part of Prussia, Russia, Germany and the Holy Roman empire?

Get your facts straight. Germany didn't exist at the time of the Partitions of Poland and the Holy Roman Empire didn't even put there hand on Polish Territory. (of course i'm excluding WWII, i'll get to that later.) I think you mean Austria.

English is my 3rd language after Polish and German(which i can't speak anymore :lol:) So i don't know what "invariably" means. So let's look on dictionary.com:
Dictionary.com said:
–adjective
1. not variable; not changing or capable of being changed; static or constant.
–noun
2. something that is invariable; a constant.

From the looks of it, you think Poland has been constantly being conquered by foreign powers, well it's only been conquered twice, and it took 3 long wars for an Alliance of Prussia, Russia and Austria to Partition Poland. I seriously doubt 1 of them or even 2 could've conquered Poland. It took all 3 of them 3 long wars to finally partition Poland.

And even when they finally partitioned Poland, Poles had a major revolt almost every decade in the 19th Century. So they obviously had no control over us :p

The second time we were conquered was in WWII. Nazi Germany attacked us, starting the whole damned war, and we were caught by surprise (even though everyone knew it was coming). But it wasn't Germany single handedly conquering us... It was Russia and Slovenia as well. Slovenia as an Ally of Germany attacked us, it was a weak attack and i don't think it was even mentioning. (they were more like a pest then a threat, just like Italy was towards France in WWII) Russia however was no pest, they were a serious threat... To Germany. But they made some kind of Alliance with Germany against Poland! :)gripe:) It was a huge surprise, all our troops were on the German and Slovenian front, then the Russians attacked and well you know the rest ;)

Even though Poland was defeated, Poles were still fighting Germans and Italians across europe. For example, My Great-Grandfather fought against germany in Poland, but when Poland lost he fought in Northern Africa with the Brits and Americans against Italy, fought in Monte Cassino(which nobody could capture except us, and those damned British were bombing us instead of the italians... :crazyeyes: ) one of my gran-uncles fought as a paratrooper in Market Garden and and my cousing grandfather fought as a pilot for England in the Blitz.

Another thing, Poland lasted longer then France did against Germany dispite being a smaller country, and just got independence 20 years ago :p

So there you have it, i just disputed your first sentence... Actually, in History, your sentence could be reversed. For example, Poland is the only country to have captured Moscow, and we did it twice, Ounce with Napoleon and the other during the Bolshevik wars.

so in a way it is represented in the other empires.

Actually if we include Poland, then it'll be the Western Slavic state to be in the Civ Series. And it makes no sense for Poland to be represented by other empires. For example, we've only been under foreign rule for a 1 and a quarter of a century, and the 21st century is our 14th century of existence as a State. (and i'm excluding our prehistory as a city state.) Not to mention that Germany is Germanic, and both Austria and Prussia aren't in the game, and there's no way we could be represented by Russia...

(I'm not blasting Poland or the Polish people here, just saying that including Poland would be difficult because of the nature of its history as the victim of wave after wave of conquerors...although maybe the Huskarl could be its UU?)

OK i understand that. Due to communism and the Iron curtein in recent history, Western europeans and Americans wouldn't know much about Polish history. Including Poland in the game would help alot.

And including Poland would be difficult? Victim of wave after wave of conquerers? i think i covered that above...

Huskarl's were German/Scandinavian IIRC.

Are UU would be the Winged Hussar, the Strongest Mounted unit in the world at the time :p (and by at that time, i mean most of the Renaissance and late medieval era. Winged Hussars have been knights, Hussars and Cuirassurs.)

UB could be a couple of things, although none really stands out. But the basic idea would be a stable that reduces maintenance (like the Zulu UB), a Granary, or a Courthouse.

We can have tons of leaders, a couple that come into mind are:

Miezko
a couple of Casimirs
Sobieski
Pilsudski (yah i know he was Lithuanian but still)
Lech Wałęsa

and tons more.

I hope i changed your mind :p

As for the hittites and assyria, unfortunately for them they are too similar to other ancient cultures, like babylon and sumer, to justify having by themselves (I mean, it is already a stretch coming up with Sumer's vultures...can't imagine a decent UU for those empires).

Well the Hittites should have the War Chariot instead of Egypt. Egypt can have some kind of Slinger or something. i'm not to good in Assyrian history, but there probably is something. The Problem with early Mesopotamian civs, is that they didn't have special units, Axes and Spears were only starting to be used, so i think maybe using the name of axeman and spearmen in there languages might be more appropriate.

Besides Assyria and Hittites were in the game before. I forgot what Fireaxis used for them in Civ 3 so maybe you should check it out.

Otherwise i have to admit that ithink that there is allready all the needed civilizations around ... rest of the civilizations that might could be added is either former colonies or have been covered by others due to repeatedly conquering of them from diffent parties

i agree. The only civs that i can see being in civ 4 in the near future are a more diverse Native America, Austria, Poland, Congo/Swahili (whatever the game designers want) a SE asian civ(preferably Siam, Burma or Vietnam) and Polynesia.

Israel and Austria are at the top of my wishlist, not that I realistically expect any new (official) additions or anything like that.

TheLastOne36 - I cringed when I read part about Poland not being a valid civ, thanks for addressing it. The absolutely last thing you can do is lump the Poles in with either the Germans or the Russians.

I find the original post particularly strange because at the same time you state that the Poles are too minor to be included, but the Confederate States are major enough? The Confederates were a blink in the eye of American history and culture - they were around for 5 years.

The culture from the southeastern U.S. is from southernors - not confederates. As for "what if" scenarios, try the Civil War mods.

There are only three types of people who ever give the Confederacy more than a passing thought; historians, civil-war recreationists, and those silly (and thankfully very, very marginalized) southerners who still insist to this day that "The South Will Rise Again!"

The Confederacy is, at best, a footnote. It never came anywhere close to being deserving of the title "Civilization".

! CANADA !​

i think the USA sorta represents the Colonial Era. Although Gran Colombia/Venezuela, Brazil or Mexico are good ideas.

I think we'd all rather have a latin colony before another english colony. (enless your canadian...) :rolleyes:

Top Bottom