CivV AI: Why it hates you

As to the OP, specifically, the need to have a large army. Is it really that far from reality?

I mean, in the real world,and maybe not recent but surely in history, a large, economically developed country with abundant resources and no standing army would be the perfect itarget for any civ, either peaceful or warmongering

As to the OP, specifically, the need to have a large army. Is it really that far from reality?

I mean, in the real world,and maybe not recent but surely in history, a large, economically developed country with abundant resources and no standing army would be the perfect itarget for any civ, either peaceful or warmongering

I agree.

Yeah, disuasive armies are common IRL. But declaring on weak countries carries heavy diplomatic and other kinds of penalties. These penalties (were they well implemented) might hamper your path to victory. A disuasive army should not be the only way to keep good relations with other civs. It wasn't like that in Civ IV.

I guess one question is if warmonger penalties hurt AI to AI relationships as well.

I guess one question is if warmonger penalties hurt AI to AI relationships as well.

This is my question as well. Specifically, if an AI starts steamrolling in war, will everybody pretty much hate it?

And does anyone KNOW what the pact of secrecy does? The fact that YOU CAN SEE IF ITS ACTIVE BETWEEN CIVS IN THE DIPLOMACY MENU makes its use absolutely moot.

Well, it doesn't make it moot, just misnamed. Did not realize that, though.

Well, it doesn't make it moot, just misnamed. Did not realize that, though.
Yeah, I didn't realise it either. Packed away behind yet another mouse click, and not displayed particularly well. I miss the F4 screen in Civ4 BTS...

Same here.

"Look out, everyone! New players are buying Civ V! Quick, hide all the useful information!"

CiV truism:

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick

It;s obvious. You cannot give AI "intelligence" with a few hundred/thousend lines of code.
Look how much was needed (and how long it took )to make Computer Chess as "intelligent/good" as the best human players.

It;s obvious. You cannot give AI "intelligence" with a few hundred/thousend lines of code.
Look how much was needed (and how long it took )to make Computer Chess as "intelligent/good" as the best human players.
Thing is though, the AI doesn't have to be programmed to win, it just needs to be smarter in how it goes about warfare. There are a few small fixes that would go a long way here.

(Continued in this thread)

I am not speaking of Winning. I speak of intelligent Diplomacy ;-)
Ok, I was confused because in the other thread you were talking about military tactics.

Diplomacy should be easier to fix (at least from my layman's perspective). All that needs to be done is to tone down the AI aggression and attitude issues, and buff up the things that allow for positive relations. Also add "Friendly" status and make the AI understand it and act accordingly. I'm not asking for a highly competitive AI, I'm asking for (at least some) AI that can understand cooperation and long-term friendliness.

It can't be impossible, they managed it in Civ4 to a reasonable degree. ;)

Top Bottom